Saturday, October 26, 2013

Birchbox Review - October 2013


My second Birchbox finally came in the other day. It only took 13 days to arrive here this month. I say only because last month's box took 20 days. I think I should just learn to accept the fact that Birchbox will take a while to arrive. My Barkbox subscription also ships from NY but only took two days to go cross-country. Oh well, I guess that's the difference between air vs ground transport.

For $10/month, Birchbox will send you a box of samples to try based on your beauty profile. Since I'm pretty low maintenance, I like products that are easy to use and that can be used on an as-needed basis. Of course you would think half the fun is being surprised when the box comes in and seeing if any of the items are to your liking, but like last month, my curiosity got the best of me and I jumped online to see what I would be getting. I must say I'm rather pleased with this month's samples:

theBalm Stainiac in Beauty Queen
This lip and cheek stain is supposed to brighten up your face a bit to give you that bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed look. It seems like it took a lot of this tint to make even the slightest change in color on my cheeks. Maybe I'll try it on my lips one day, but so far I'm not sold.

12 Benefits Instant Healthy Hair Treatment
I have lots of hair, which means lots of split ends and lots of frizz, especially in this humid weather we've been getting. This spray smells great and is supposed to help with the above hair problems as well as moisturize and protect it from weather, styling, and chlorine damage. I spritzed some on last night and haven't noticed any difference yet, but it's only been one day so we'll see.

Karuna Clarifying Treatment Mask
Ok, I've used shiso in my food before, but I never thought it could be used for skincare! Valued at $7 a pop, this mask is to be applied weekly to keep your complexion clear and healthy. Not sure if I'd be willing to pay a dollar a day to do the same thing that plain ol' face wash and moisturizer can do for pennies a day (yeah I'm cheap), but I'll have to try this out before forming any real opinion.

DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer Moisturizing Serum
Something tells me the value of this month's box is through the roof. At $85 for the full size version, this serum works to minimize pores and fight the lines of aging using amino peptides. It smells great and goes on greater. It feels very smooth and light on my face. The only way I know I have it on is because the awesome scent is still lingering on my hand.

ChapStick Hydration Lock in Vanilla Creme
This is a Birchbox Find, which is a mass-market product that Birchbox thinks is awesome and will benefit all of its subscribers. Of course, this is in addition to, not in place of, regular Birchbox items. It's been a while since I've used ChapStick, but with winter right around the corner, now is the perfect time to try out a product that claims to lock in moisture for 8 hours. And the vanilla creme scent is just plain awesome. It actually smells yummy enough to make me crave some cream-flavored candy right now. We'll see if this ChapStick will hold true to its claim. So far so good...the true test will be at lunchtime!

Overall I'm impressed with this month's items. I haven't looked up the value yet, but it seems really high and I'm in love with the products' scents! So far I've been very pleased with the quality of products from Birchbox. Glad I signed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment