Friday, October 4, 2013

Birchbox Review - September 2013


I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Birchbox so I finally decided to see what the hype was all about. For $10/month, Birchbox will send you a box of surprise skin/haircare products right to your door. Most of the products are sample sized so you can try before you buy. I love the idea of not knowing what's in a box beforehand, but I also have close to zero willpower when it comes to resisting curiosity. I won't go out of my way to look for spoilers online, but if I see a review you can bet I'm gonna read it. And so was the situation this month. Shipping wasn't in my favor and I couldn't resist taking a peek at this month's goodies.

Shipping...boy, oh boy. I've never been so obsessed with shipping time until this month. Normally packages take 5-7 days to reach me from the east coast, but for some reason this month's Birchbox took 20 days! That's just about THREE WEEKS!! I emailed Customer Support thinking it got lost in the mail, and they told me their boxes are classified as "hazardous" and therefore ship via ground/boat. They also told me that if I don't receive it in time to get points for reviews or to receive free shipping on any of the month's products, that I can just explain the situation to them and they will manually apply the points/promos. Glad it didn't come to that this month, but I reeeally hope I won't have to wait three weeks every month just to get my box. :(

Now on to September's goodies. First things first. I pretty much fell off the beauty care bandwagon years ago. I'm generally low maintenance and don't use styling or beauty products, so I signed up for Birchbox in hopes that it will get me back on board. At least a little bit.

September's info card


Beauty Protector Shampoo & Conditioner
First up is something I can at least say I'm very familiar with (yay!) - shampoo and conditioner. This paraben-free duo smells yummy. Most shampoos and conditioners that I've tried work for about a week then my hair goes back to being oily, dry, and frizzy all at the same time. I'm excited to try this out, and if I like what I see, I might consider puchasing the full-size version.

Update 10/7/13: I don't know if it's pure coincidence or not, but a day after I started using the shampoo and conditioner, my scalp started itching. It doesn't feel dry though, so maybe it's some kind of other reaction to something in the product? I hope not, because I have the full sized version of both of these coming my way! (I was so thrilled with the scent and texture of the product that I went ahead and purchased them without thinking) I've switched back to my normal shampoo/conditioner for now, so I guess I'll find out soon.


Dr. Jart+ BB Cream
Okay, so I've heard lots about beauty balms, but this noob has never gotten around to trying one. Maybe I lack the drive to add something to my non-existent beauty regimen, or maybe I'm cheap (that's probably it), but hey, isn't that the whole reason why I'm getting this box in the first place? Living way out here where it's pretty sunny year-round, I could use a little SPF in my life. And besides, I'd much rather use one product that does the job of 3 or 4.


Dr. Lipp Nipple Balm for Lips
Say what??! Supposedly this was originally intended for nursing moms, but it can also be used as a lip gloss and lip balm. Lately I've been lucky and haven't had any battles with chapped skin, but good to know I've got something for it just in case.

Update 10/7/13: If you have chapped or sensitive lips, I highly recommend this product. A little goes a long way with this lip balm - all I needed was a dot smaller than the size of a pinhead. This sample sized tube might actually be enough to last me several months. Also, it doesn't have a nasty taste if you should happen to lick your lips. Actually, it has no taste at all. Great product!

Ruffian Nail Lacquer in Fox Hunt
This full-size Birchbox Exclusive was included in each box this month. The one I got, Fox Hunt, is sort of a bright and shimmery red-orange hue from Ruffian's Crowdsourced Collection. I'm not one to wear vibrant colors, so while I do think the color itself is nice, I don't think I'll be putting it on my nails.

After seeing this month's Birchbox, I'm excited enough to give it another go. Each box is tailored to a person's beauty profile, so some might get an awesome box one month while others get a so-so one, but overall the value is supposed to even out over time. Let's see what next month has in store!


No comments:

Post a Comment