Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Barkbox Review - November 2013



November Barkbox (and Macho's eager nose)


Yesterday we got our Barkbox in the mail. Yay! I'm always so excited for Barkbox time of the month because I love being surprised at the quality products I find in my mailbox just as much as my dog loves eating and playing with his new finds. This month's box was all about feasting - Macho's favorite! He was so excited to dig in that I barely had time to take pictures of his goodies, so I apologize in advance for the blurred, hurried photos.

The unboxing. Obviously, Pups is not the gentlest unboxer.


PetSafe Busy Buddy Pogo Plush Slap Happy Toy-Small Size
This stuffingless toy contains a plastic caging with a free-floating squeaker inside. The caging bounces back when compressed and is supposed to bring out the animal instinct in dogs by simulating a rib cage being crushed. It's a pretty graphic description, but it promises to be a dog's new favorite toy. That part was definitely true, as Macho would not leave the toy alone once he got a hold of it. I am pretty disappointed that the squeaker didn't last long at all - a whole 5 seconds - but Fluffypants was still getting a kick out of it long after it stopped making noise. I'm thinking the bouncy cage feel must have something to do with that. After all, Mr. Fluff is an avid chewer - the harder it is to chomp down on something, the more he wants to chew it.
Enjoying his toy long after he broke the squeaker (plus the remains of the Barkbox packaging)


Nootie YumZies Duck Jerky Chews
I've heard lots of good things about this brand so I'm excited to try these. Bunnybottom's never had duck before so it'll be interesting to see how he'll take to it. But if the past is any indication, he doesn't discriminate when it comes to meat. Also, the chews are shaped so that they can be broken into smaller pieces for smaller dogs. I'll be giving small pieces to Macho not because he's small, but because I know he'll get greedy if I give him a whole piece and he'll start expecting the whole thing each time. He's such a piggy.


Bocce's Bakery Truffle Mac & Cheese Biscuits
Before Barkbox, I'd never heard of this NY-based brand, but this is the third product we've received from them and I've grown very fond of their treats. These are the only guys who could make Macho eat mint (referring to Bocce's Green Juice biscuits we received in our first box as part of a Barkbox Facebook promo) and actually like it. They mixed it with kale, spinach (both are probably an "eh" in Macho's book), and APPLES (a definite "heck yeah" for him). Anyway, I digress. After he broke his squeaky toy and finally realized there were other things in the box, this was the first bag he picked up snatched. Once I got his jaws of life to release the bag he would not leave me alone until I opened it and gave him one - after he earned it, of course:
"Aww guys, why do you always have to humiliate me?"

Twistix Vanilla Mint Dental Chews-Large Size 
These chews are wheat- and corn-free, which is good for dogs with allergies. So far the furball has lucked out and doesn't have any allergies that I'm aware of, but as I mentioned before, he isn't a fan of mint so I don't have very high hopes for these. But we'll see, maybe the vanilla can balance it out. Or maybe he'll view it as another chewing challenge and go to town on it.

Overall this month's box was pretty good. Not as great as the last couple of months - he's still intrigued by September's iQ Ball and October's Bumi - but I appreciate the continued high quality and value of the products this month (I blame the broken squeaker on bad luck and sharp teeth rather than low quality. I guess Macho just doesn't get along with free-floating squeakers).

No comments:

Post a Comment