Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Baribox Review - December 2013


Merry Christmas everybody! Hope Santa brought everyone tons of fun and goodies!!  I was totally looking forward to Xmas dinners and parties but just had to get food poisoning on Xmas Eve. Bummer. But I'm still happy because C spent the whole time pampering me and making sure I got better. Thanks C! Now on to the review...

Thanks to the holiday season and a short budget, I decided to rediscover my domesticated side. Homemade sweets and handmade cards are the way to go when you don't have a whole lot to spend on shiny toys and brand new electronics. Well actually I've been practicing my baking skills for the past few years so that's nothing new. What is new is my renewed interest in crafting. I've always appreciated handmade works of art but have never been able to find the time to keep up with such a hobby. So I guess it's pretty odd that even though I have less time on my hands now between work and helping to coach high school sports, I somehow manage to find time to squeeze in crafting -- I guess the holidays can do that to you.

But, I digress. With my renewed thirst for crafting knowledge and materials, I stumbled upon a new crafting subscription called BARiBOX. According to their website, each month you receive a carefully curated selection of paper-crafting products to use. Based on what I've seen online Baribox doesn't appear to be a value box where you receive a greater value of product than you pay for. Rather, I see it more as a box that contains (almost) everything you need to complete a paper craft project.

Baribox costs $12.99/month including shipping, but you can also choose a 3-, 6-, 12-, or 15-month plan. The cost per month goes down a few cents with the extended plans, so I decided to pick up the 3-month plan for $38 ($12.67/box). Based on the shipping table Baribox provided, my box wasn't supposed to go out until February, but I got an email just 3 days after I signed up telling me it was on its way! What's even better is their shipping. Baribox ships via UPS Mail Innovations, and in my personal experience things shipped via Mail Innovations take for-ev-er to reach me in HI (we're talking 2-3 weeks from the east coast). So you can imagine my surprise when I received my much-awaited package in just 5 days! I must commend them on their cute packaging. I didn't get a picture of the tape used to seal the box, but it had cute gingerbread men on it. And then there was this cute sticker on the box as well:


Inside was a welcome card on top of the neatly wrapped goodies. I love when a company takes care in packing their boxes. I also like that the sticker didn't tear the tissue paper, so I can reuse it for a project, or maybe just to wrap a belated Christmas present...


Also with the welcome card was a little "welcome packet" which included a pencil, pin, and a code for 20% off a 3-month subscription.






Studio G Christmas Stamp & Ink Pad
I guess it's my fault for not subscribing to this box earlier, but this stamp would've been great to use with my latest Christmas card-making adventure. I also don't have this color ink...I think it's silver? I haven't opened it yet, but really curious to see what it looks like on paper.

 
Studio G Snowman Mini Punch & String
I can already think of lots of crating ideas for this punch! Maybe for next year. Never too early to start planning! And I can always find a use for the string. What's great is that it contains basic colors that are fitting for any occasion.
 
Studio G Loose Extra Fine Glitter
You can't really tell from the picture, but this set contains black, silver, and a light blue glitter. This is the first light blue I've owned, and I'm excited to try it out! 
Blank White Note Cards with Envelope
I love blank white cards because you can make a card for practically ANY occasion. (In fact, I just bought a pack of blank white cards just before I got this in the mail!) Now that Christmas is over, I guess I'll have to use these for something else...hmm, whose birthday is coming up next? :)

Overall I am satisfied with this month's box. I can use all the products I received (some of them probably not till next Christmas, but I'll still use them). The only complaints I have is that all of the products were from Studio G. I would love to see a bit more variety in the boxes, especially from companies whose products I don't normally see in the stores. Also, although I'm pretty sure this is not a value box, it'd still be nice to see me get my money's worth in products. A quick calculation in my head tells me that I received about $7-8 worth of items but paid over $12 for the box. Maybe since Baribox is still fairly new, they're still trying to establish strong partnerships, so I'll see how the next couple of months goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment