Thursday, February 6, 2014

BzzAgent Campaign - Schick Hydro Silk Razor

Last week I received my much anticipated Schick Hydro Silk Sensitive Care razor from BzzAgent. Why much anticipated? Because my existing one has just about seen its final days. The handle has mold growing IN the rubber; i.e. bleach has absolutely zero effect on killing it and preventing it from growing. Yuck!

Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I saw the little box in the mail with the cute BzzAgent bee logo. If you don't know, BzzAgent is a word of mouth-oriented review community in which you receive products to try. So what's the catch? Usually the products are brand new and the manufacturers want feedback on them. That's where BzzAgent steps in. BzzAgents try out the item and spread the word about the product by talking to friends, posting on social media, and reporting back to BzzAgent. The outcome? A heightened awareness of the item and valuable feedback that the manufacturer can use to improve on it. Anyway, on with the review!

THE KIT
Aside from the razor (which included a holder and spare blade), my kit included a coupon for a FREE Skintimate shave gel and four coupons for $4.00 off a Schick Hydro Silk razor. I am absolutely thrilled because I love Skintimate gel; it's the only one I use. And now I get it for FREE!! Plus I am sure I'll be able to make a few friends happy with the coupons. Four dollars is roughly 50% off - a great deal!

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
This razor has Moisturizing Serum dots on each side of the blade that activates when wet. It also has an additional moisturizing strip that passes over your skin just before the blade does. So far I've been lucky enough to not have sensitive skin when it comes to shaving so I never really noticed whether built-in moisturizers have any added effect. 

As for the actual shaving part, this razor has 5 blades! I guess if you want a closer shave, you gotta keep adding blades. I remember I was in awe when 3 blades made its appearance (and 2 blades for disposables!). When razors started having 4 blades, I thought nothing could top it. Now there are 5 blades. In my opinion five blades is a bit overkill, especially since from 3 blades and up, they all feel like an uber close shave to me. 

The one thing I wish they did change was the razor handle. I don't know why, but razor companies love to use that smooth rubber material on the handle and when you store it in your shower (like you're supposed to since they provide you with a razor holster) it grows mold. Not on the rubber, but IN it. And it doesn't come off; it just spreads and spreads. This is exactly why my previous razor was at the end of its days - I can stand a little mold, but it was getting to be too much. I really don't care about a comfortable and grippy ergonomic handle; it's not like I'll be shaving for an hour straight everyday. My longest-lasting razor had a plastic handle and that was the best since I could just scrape off any soap scum and it was good as new.

THE VERDICT
Overall I am very happy with the Schick Hydro Silk Sensitive Care razor. It gives a close shave, it's blue (my favorite color!), and the blades contour really well to curves so you don't get nicked every time you try to shave your knee. I only wish they changed that handle. But seeing as how ALL companies make rubber handles, I guess the vast majority of people like em. Maybe I'll just have to stop being lazy and just take it out of the shower after I shave. Bleh.






Note: I received this product free from BzzAgent. All opinions are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment