Thursday, March 27, 2014

Birchbox Review - March 2014

I just returned from Vegas a couple of days ago (I did a whole lot of losing and not much winning, as expected) and to my delight I found my Birchbox waiting for me when I got back, sitting pretty and begging to be opened. 

But before I continue... What's a Birchbox? Every month for $10 you get a box of 4-5 high-end samples sent right to your door. Some months are better than others, but in my experience each month I've always received at least one item I can use. Their points system is also pretty good. You earn points by reviewing items on the Birchbox site or making purchases in the online store. For every 100 points you get $10 credit in the Birchbox shop to purchase full-size items. 

This month's theme was Spring Forward and encourages everyone to get the most out of our daily routines with Birchbox's DIY tutorials, beauty shortcuts, and ways to get the most out of beauty products. To my surprise, this month I received 6 items for the first time ever. I'll admit, I kinda was as giddy as a kid in a candy store surrounded by all the items. So what'd I get?

March 2014 Birchbox

Info card

Gilchrist & Soames Body Lotion (Sample Value: $3.00)


This miracle in a bottle couldn't have come at a better time. The Vegas climate did a number on my skin and left my feet dry and cracked. I used some on my poor yucky feetsies and they feel just fine now! It absorbs instantly into skin. This lotion from the London-based company contains botanicals of red tea, soy, ginko biloba, grape seed, and milk thistle to restore and revive skin. It has a crisp scent that is a bit strong for me, but no biggie. How can I complain when it's such a huge sample size of 1.5 oz?! Even with daily use this will last me at least a month.


English Laundry No. 7 for Her (Approx. Sample Value: ~$1.00)


This is the first perfume sample I've gotten from Birchbox and honestly at first I wasn't too thrilled to see it because I don't wear perfume since C complains that it triggers his allergies. However, while I probably won't wear it (to avoid C's "how many times do I have to tell you?'"s), I do think it smells nice. It has floral notes that smell a bit fruity and refreshing over a vanilla-almond base. I guess my nose sucks because I can't pick out the vanilla or almond, but I trust that it's there. Hmm...now I'm thinking maybe I will try to get away with a single spritz of this the next time we go out. I don't think it'll be too overpowering...


Coola Tinted Matte SPF30 Mineral Sunscreen for Face (Sample Value: $3.60)


With all the sun exposure we get here in Hawaii I really should be more diligent in my suncare routine. I SHOULD be wearing sunscreen everyday since the sun is all but unavoidable. I SHOULD also be wearing shades to protect my eyes whenever I'm outside. Finally I SHOULD protect the sensitive skin on my face with a non-oily product made especially for the face. But do I do any of these? Nope. Shame on me. Maybe now I can start. This tinted sunscreen comes in a one-shade-fits-all tint that evens skin tone and masks flaws. While I disagree that it matches my skin tone or even hides my blemishes, it does blend in very quickly and nicely. It's also not oily (yay!). I have yet to see if it really protects against the sun. I guess only time will tell.


DDF Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew (Sample Value: $24.71)


This is the second time I've gotten a DDF product in my Birchbox (the first time was an awesome-smelling Wrinkle Resist & Pore Minimizer in my October box). The sample size was generous back then (I still have some left!) and it is generous again. Okay, so it doesn't really have much of a scent, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Two moisturizers in one box - Birchbox must've known I'd be in dire need of skin hydration this month!


Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment +  Restorative Hair Treatment Plus (Approx. Sample Value: ~$6.00)



The claim is that after just one treatment, even the most damaged hair will be restored and will look soft, shiny, and manageable. I would've so loved to test this claim when I had long hair desperately in need of a pick-me-up. Now that it's short I don't have much of a problem with it, but maybe I'll try this just to see how much healthier I could get it to look. I tend to group foil packets together and forget about them in the drawer; must remember to keep this one separate.


Ghirardelli Intense Dark Cherry Tango Chocolate (Sample Value: N/A)



This was March's Birchbox Find, which is a product that can be found in your neighborhood drugstore which Birchbox finds buzz worthy. I love Ghirardelli chocolate. And I've never heard of this Ghirardelli flavor before so it was something new. What's not to like? Okay, I'm not the biggest dark chocolate fan, and I'm sure I would've loved this more if it was with milk chocolate, but it tasted yummy nonetheless. C just got me Ghirardelli strawberry chocolate for Valentine's Day, and ohmygosh it was the yummiest. I love. Thanks, Ghirardelli, for the extra 5 lbs.


I really like this month's Birchbox. Possibly my second favorite Birchbox I've gotten (my favorite being November's box. Still using every item from that one..well, except the chocolate). I paid $10 for it and received a total value of over $38 worth of products, all of which I can see myself using. If you'd like to start getting your own box of great samples, please use my link and start discovering new beauty products as early as next month!



Note: Post contains referral links. These are my honest opinions and I was not compensated for this review in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment