Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Barkbox Review - April 2014 + $5 Off Your First Box!


Barkbox day is kind of a big deal at my house. The pups love 'em and I love watching them have a blast. This month we received our box before they even supposedly shipped out! Maybe it's because I shot them an email last month complimenting them on their superfast shipping? Hehe I'd like to think so anyway. Needless to say it was a great surprise. Here's some info on Barkbox if you haven't heard of them before:

What: Barkbox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 5-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $19-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups!

By the time I got a chance to dig in it was late already so I apologize for the dark artificial lighting pics. Since it was so late the pups didn't get to try anything out yet, but I'll update as they get their paws on their new goodies. April's box was taller than usual, and me being a little kid at heart, I just had to shake it. Hmm...lots of movement inside. And as a kid you're conditioned to know that can only mean one thing - TOYS! Yesss! (...well, speaking from the dogs' perspective)

April 2014 info card
April's theme is all about welcoming spring and getting out and about, whether it's hitting the trails or sunbathing. Knowing my dogs, they'd prefer to run through sprinklers all day :) April's items are intended to help you and your furball enjoy the great outdoors for a day of fun before cuddling around the campfire and enjoying some all-natural treats (for your dog that is). 



Quaker Pet Group Hear Doggy! Deer Flat (Approx. Value: $10.00)

This is the closest our poor suburban dogs will get to feeling the thrill of the hunt. We have the Hear Doggy whale at home and the furbutts destuffed that one in no time, so I'm glad this deer is stuffingless to begin with. Both pups love their plush toys long after they're flattened so it shouldn't be a problem. The concept of a silent squeaker is cool, but I don't really mind the squeaking anyway because it lets me know where the rascals are hiding. Their favorite toys seem to be the ones where the squeaker is broken and all you can hear is air coming out, so I have no doubt that they will welcome this with open paws.


Riley's Organics Peanut Butter & Molasses Treats (Approx. Value: $3.50)



These are bone-shaped biscuits made entirely of human-grade ingredients, i.e. you can eat them! Admittedly, I probably will sneak a piece just to see how this compares to other human-grade ingredient treats the pups have tried (yes, I've done it before and I'm not ashamed). Macho usually prefers soft meaty treats instead of biscuits, but he loves peanut butter so we'll see. Pebbles will eat anything including napkins so she won't be a problem. Wheat, corn, soy, sugar, and preservative free so it's great for any pup!

Humans! You can enjoy these with your pup!

 JW Pet Megalast Ball (Approx. Value: $7.00)

Last month after the bacon bone fiasco, I asked Barkbox to note Macho down as a heavy chewer. They said they would try to send toys geared toward dogs with strong jaws, and I think this is a good reflection of that conversation. This toy is made in the USA out of Megalastomer, JW's non-toxic thermo plastic rubber, and can even float or be filled with treats. I'll probably do the latter with my dogs since they do anything for treats, even if it makes them mentally exhausted trying to figure out how to get them. (translation: more quiet time for me!) To keep with this month's outdoorsy theme, the ball even has a wildflower pattern on the ends!


Update 4/17/14: It's a hit! Macho only lets me humiliate him for treat/toys that are really worth it to him, and he let me try for a whole 10 minutes! I wanted to post a photo of him balancing the ball on his head for you guys, but the ball's too heavy, his head's too round, or my camera's too slow, so it kept falling off before I could snap a clear picture. Long story short, his extended patience means it's right up there with bully sticks! Pebbles is lucky she doesn't know that trick yet and got a free pass, but she loves the Megalast ball too. The thing is bigger than her head, and since she's not used to carrying something so heavy it's a trip watching her fetch it. WIN.


Mr. Barksmith's Cool Treats Smoothies - Carrot Cake (Approx. Value: $2.50)


We've tried the Pumpkin and the Peanut Butter flavored smoothies from this brand before, and both were a hit with Macho. It fits perfectly in a custard dish so the furpup can enjoy his treat with minimal mess. I think we still have one more left from before, so both pups will be able to enjoy their smoothie without fighting (actually only Pebbles would fight because she's a bitch).


Complete Natural Nutrition Buddy's Kitchen Off-Leash Treats - Smoky Beef Flavor (Approx. Value: $5.00)


We received the Cheese Please snacks from this brand in our February Barkbox; unfortunately we didn't get to it yet in our stockpile so I can't say whether the pups loved it (it's 100% cheese though, so I'm sure they would). At only 4 calories per treat, these Off-Leash treats would be great for training the puppies to do chores around the house ;) Plus it's soft and chewy, the kind that Macho likes! It has a smoked flavor great for that warm cozy campfire feeling. Also, it's made with all-natural ingredients. Corn, soy, wheat, and gluten free.


This month's Barkbox had a total value of about $28.00. A little lower than usual, but I'm pretty certain everything will go to use. I can't say for sure whether it's a hit or miss this month since the fluffies haven't had a chance to sample their new toys & treats, but they've never met a Barkbox they didn't like. I'm glad Barkbox followed through with my request for tough-chewer toys and sent the Megalast ball. Macho loves to destroy toys, but judging from the past month with Pebbles, it looks like she destroys toys in half the time! So glad I got that ball.

Do you subscribe to Barkbox? How did you like April's box? If you want to watch your pup enjoy new toys and treats each month, please use my link to get $5 off your first box! Your dog will thank you with hundreds of doggy kisses!



Note: This post contains a referral link. I paid for this box and was not compensated in any way for this honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you got such good stuff!! My box was so different from yours even though we both get the pint sized box. We got one toy by JW and the rest were treats. I didn't know Barkbox would take powerful jaw input! I've purchased the Hear Doggy toys before bec my boys love squeakers (especially when they're dead and removed from the toy). My husband works from home so its a great way to keep them quietly entertained during conference calls. I am so with you on no stuffing though. One of my dogs LOVES the flapping skin while the other one loves the de-stuffing process. They're perfect besties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh sorry I forgot to mention...this one's actually the medium box. Fatso is 35 lbs but like one foot tall :-/ I've actually found Barkbox's customer service to be quite good. They get back to emails within a day and are constantly monitoring their FB page. You've got quite the plush toy tag team in your home! I'm starting to find out that my little one doesn't just stop at destuffing :( ...yesterday she bit off (and ate?) parts of a plastic teething ring on the stuffed animal. *sigh* life with strong jawed dogs, huh?

      Delete