Saturday, April 19, 2014

Birchbox Review - April 2014



What a nice treat, Birchbox day came early this month! (It usually gets here the last week of the month :-/ ) Here's a little description of this service:

What: A box of 4-6 samples of high-end beauty and lifestyle products
When: Ships on the 10th of each month
Cost: $10/month or $110/year upfront
Fun fact: Birchbox has an awesome points system where you can review products or make purchases from the Birchbox shop to earn points. Every 100 points gets you $10 credit in the BB shop.


April's Birchbox

This month's theme is Rainy Days. Unfortunately, the term "April showers" holds no significance where I live because it showers year round. It's also sunny year round. While it's showering. If that makes any sense. Right. Moving on. April's box is intended to inspire us to be productive at home when it's raining outside.


Included in each box is a tip on how to spend a rainy day indoors. I got Tip #4: "Organize your book collection. By color, topic, author - it's up to you." Sad truth is I have about 5 books from five authors and five genres. Maybe two of them are purple. But I really don't think much organizing needs to be done about that. I'm only about 1/4 through all of them, so I don't forsee my collection growing any bigger in the near future either. Birchbox also announced a new VIP program they have called Birchbox Aces. If you rack up 500 points in a calendar year you become a member of this exclusive program and get access to free shipping, concierge service, surprise gifts and offers, and more. So keep those reviews coming, Birchboxers!



Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle Leave-in Conditioner (Approx. Sample Value: $2.75)
 

If you ever wanted to know what awesome smells like, go get something from Beauty Protector. I received the shampoo and conditioner in my first ever Birchbox and immediately purchased the full size. I've seen lots of good stuff about this leave-in conditioner and was really hoping I would get one this month. So far it feels like any other detangler I've tried, but with the added bonus of smelling heavenly  :)


Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner - in Jamun (Sample Value: $4.40)


This wax eyeliner boasts color that glides on smoothly and lasts all day. Birchbox describes jamun as a deep purple but all the swatches I see look charcoal gray-black. I like black but not purple...not sure what I'm going to do with this yet. Maybe I'll do a bit more research before I decide whether to keep or swap.


Supergoop! Daily Correct SPF 35 CC Cream - Light/Medium (Sample Value: $6.40)


First impression: meh. BECAUSE... when I first opened the tube I tried squeezing some into my hand. Suddenly *splat* a whole glob came shooting out onto my shirt. I like that shirt so I immediately tried removing the stain to no avail (bye bye, shirt). Even if it hadn't ruined my clothes, in all honesty I don't get overly excited when I receive BB or CC creams. At first I was thrilled that one cream could do triple/quadruple duty, but I later found myself preferring to use all the separate products instead because I found most BB creams to be too oily or sticky. I must admit this one didn't feel oily going on, but it still felt a little too sticky for my liking. Blended nicely, though. Maybe when they come out with DD creams I'll consider putting another shirt at risk.


Color Club Gala's Gems Collection - Aquamarine Azulino (Sample Value: $3.25)


How did they know my favorite color is blue? And light blue, even better! Shimmer? I think we may have found a winner! I didn't get to try it yet (I can't part with my Easter egg colored nails before Easter!) but this will be next on my list. Can't wait!


KIND Healthy Grains Bar - Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt (Value: $0.80)

This is kind of like a chewy granola bar. I never thought sea salt would taste good in a granola bar, but it was a welcome twist to the norm. Not sure if I'd buy this flavor again, but according to their website there's four other healthy grain bar flavors (Vanilla Blueberry sounds yum) in addition to other bar types, each with their own assortment of flavors. Gluten free, GMO free, and packed with five super grains, this bad boy is made entirely with ingredients I can pronounce.


I thought April's box had a great mix of items - hair, makeup, skincare, nails, and food. It had a total value of $17.60 - definitely more than I paid, but I'm not sure I'll use everything in it. The eyeliner may end up going up for swap if it's too purple for me. But I'm super glad I finally got to try the detangler. I've been eyeing it for months! Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What did you think of April's box?

If you want to jump on the Birchbox bandwagon, please use my link to get your first box. It's a great way to try out products without spending a buttload on the full size without even knowing whether you'll like it.



Note: Post contains a referral link. I paid for this box with my own money and didn't receive any form of compensation for this honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I also am in love with the smell of the Beauty Protector. Mmm...

    ReplyDelete