Saturday, April 26, 2014

VoxBox Review - MKGlam Box


I got my second Influenster VoxBox yesterday and I'm super stoked because I'm pretty sure this is one of the best ones they've ever had. If you haven't heard of Influenster before, it's an online word-of-mouth type of review community where you review products and complete surveys to increase your Impact score. The higher your score, the greater your chances of receiving a free VoxBox which contains several items for review (and they're usually full-size!). I received the J'Adore VoxBox in February (you can read that review here) even though I still had a pretty low score so everyone's got a chance :)

Now on to the MKGlam VoxBox curated by Mary Kay! I took a survey a couple of weeks ago for a chance to be one of 5,000 lucky ladies to receive one. To my surprise I got an email saying I was in and a few days later here it is!


My first thought was, "Why the heck is this box so huge?" It's almost the size of the placemat! As I expected, there was a lot of tissue paper filler. No matter, more for me to use when I stuff gift bags. No joke, I really do keep all the not-too-wrinkled ones. The first thing I saw was an info card. I love info cards. They're so helpful, especially for someone as clueless as I am.

MKGlam VoxBox info card
Under the paper were my new toys. Seriously, my face just lit up when I saw how much stuff was in there. Keep in mind, I got this all for FREE to test out!

Whoa, that's a lot of stuff!



Translucent Loose Powder (Value: $16.00)
Honestly I can't tell the difference between loose finishing powders. Don't get me wrong; this one sets very nicely and is very sheer, but it doesn't feel any different from the bareMinerals one I currently use. I do appreciate the extra though, as I go through this the fastest out of all my makeup.

Bronzing Powder - in Light-Medium (Value: $18.00)
I love bronzers. They give just the right amount of color to my pale face without making it look unnatural. This one's buildable to give you a luminous pearl finish.

Mineral Cheek Color - in Shy Blush (Value: $12.00)
I like medium pink blushes, so this shade is perfect for me! It contains Vitamins A, C, and E to help protect against free radicals which can cause wrinkles. Sweet.



Cream Eye Color/Concealer Brush (Value: $10.00)
It might just be me, but these synthetic bristles feel really soft for a concealer brush. Or maybe mine is just really old and...stiff with age? 

Powder Brush (Value: $16.00)
You can never have too many powder brushes. I mean you've got so many things to put all over your face; wouldn't it be so much easier if you could have a dedicated brush for each? Right now I make do with two. Now I've got three. Yay! And it's made with natural bristles so makeup goes on evenly.


 

Lash Love Mascara - in I ♥ Black (Value: $15.00)
This mascara delivers four times the volume for super defined lashes. I've got ugly thin lashes so of course I was interested. The verdict? I like this. After just one coat there was a noticeable difference. And no clumps! In all honesty I don't wear mascara very often (even though my sorry eyelashes wish I did), but when I do I'll be using this!



Gel Eyeliner w/ Expandable Brush Applicator - in Jet Black (Value: $18.00)
Confession: I've never tried gel eyeliner before. My lazy/cheap ass just uses the loose powder eyeshadow + a bit of water to make instant eyeliner. True, it doesn't have staying power, but I don't normally wear makeup for longer than 6 hours anyway. So I tried this gel eyeliner, new to the Mary Kay line. And you know what? I think I'm gonna use this eyeliner from now on. It goes on super smoothly and stays put. I may change the brush though; it was too bushy for my liking. I feel like I have more control with angled liner brushes.
Close-up of gel eyeliner in Jet Black
Cream Eye Color - in Apricot Twist (Value: $14.00)
LOVE. I've also never tried cream eye color before. Wow, I didn't realize until now how unadventurous I am when it comes to makeup. This can be used alone or as a colored primer for mineral eyeshadow. I tried it alone and it's a perfect subtle but shimmery peach. I honestly didn't think there was any need for eyeshadow after applying it. Very appropriate for wearing around the office. I will definitely incorporate this into my makeup routine.
Close-up of cream eye color in Apricot Twist


 

NouriShine Plus Lip Gloss - in Mango Tango (Value: $14.00)
I was a little hesitant at first because I'm not a fan of red lip color, but to my surprise this wasn't very red after all. It's subtly obvious. Does that make sense? You can tell it's there, but it's not like peoples' eyes will zero in on my chops when they see me. Kind of like what my lips would look like if I drank fruit punch. This gloss conditions during wear and is long lasting - it even survived a shower! It has a tiny hint of shimmer, which is always welcome in my book.


This box that I got for FREE from Influenster to try out and review had a total value of...are you ready? $133!! Plus everything in the box was FULL-SIZE. And the best part is that I will use every single one of the items I received. I am sooo happy right now! I highly recommend joining Influenster; it's a bit tougher to qualify for products than with other online review community sites, but I think it's worth it. If you're interested, send me your email address and I'll send you an invite (fyi, it'll boost my score a bit). Or if you want to sign up directly through Influenster you can do that too (I promise I won't be offended).



Note: I received the products in the MKGlam VoxBox complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes. This review reflects my honest opinion of all the items in this VoxBox.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, tempting! Ill send you my email so you can get a score boost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting a VoxBox!! All thanks to you. It's called the VowVoxBox. I just got my acceptance email and I had to run over here and tell you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh congrats! I'm glad it didn't take long to get your first box. Actually, I think I'm getting that one too! I hope I get some good ideas out of this box :)

      Delete