Friday, May 16, 2014

Barkbox Review - May 2014 + 10% Off A New Subscription!

 

My dogs are spoiled. Barkbox keeps it that way. And I'm not gonna change a damn thing. Oh, what's Barkbox? If you have a dog I think you really oughta know:

What: Barkbox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 5-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according your dog's size. This review is for a medium-sized dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $19-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups!

May's box is about hitting up the farmer's markets during summer. I love that Barkbox (and I guess all dogs for that matter) is always thinking about food. So am I. Is it just me or does it seem like farmer's markets are branching out to more than just fresh produce and breads? The ones here have homemade jams, smoothies, and even plate lunches. The one I went to a few weeks ago even had plants. Anyway. Farmer's markets are known for their organic, (usually) healthy, GMO-free food. That's what Barkbox was going for this month. Although they usually send all natural stuff anyway.

May 2014 info card


Max & Ruffy's 24 Carob Gold: Strawberry & Carob Treats (Value: $5.25)
 

While navigating the interwebs and pretending to look busy a couple of months ago, I saw that lots of people were getting Max & Ruffy's strawberry treats in their Barkboxes. This is their newest flavor. It's like chocolate-dipped strawberries for dogs. I secretly hoped I would get it someday and *gasp* here it is! I like that it's made with organic natural ingredients. It's wheat, corn, and soy free too.


I mostly wanted to receive this because I have an unnatural obsession with anything strawberry. And apparently my infatuation has expanded beyond human products. Luckily the dogs feel me on this. I bought some dried strawberries to snack on and after a few days I noticed the bag getting empty superfast. C doesn't eat strawberries so I asked him where it all went. Yup, you guessed it. C thought they were dog treats and was giving it to the furballs in place of their normal treats "because I figured they're healthier." They were unusually happy those few days. So of course these are a hit, especially with Pebbles. She goes NUTS for these. As in she'll sniff for more of them for 30 seconds after she scarfs it down.



Bionic Urban Stick - Medium Size (Value: $19.99)


image source: www.bionicplay.com



Wow. This bugger is expensive. Made of their trademark BPA-free recyclable Bionic Rubber, this toy is supposed to withstand the most aggressive of chewers. It's supposedly stronger than thermoplastic elastomer (which is what last month's JW Megalast ball is made of, and the puppies have yet to destroy that) so I think Barkbox continues to do an excellent job with sending toys that can outlast my chewers. It's dishwasher safe and contains no phthalates, hormones, lead, cadmium, mercury, asbestos, or latex. Oh, and it has pockets on either end to stuff with treats!

 



Zukes Z-Bone - Clean Apple Crisp Flavor (Value: $6.69)


I lol'ed when I first picked this up because it's the GIANT size bone made for dogs 90+ lbs. I know Macho is on the heavy side for his size, but 90lbs? He's barely a foot tall! Anyway in the end I'm glad they sent me this one. I let him have it while I trained Pebbles outside using the strawberry & carob treats, and within 15 minutes the bone was gone. I guess Macho is 90 lbs at heart after all. I was actually a little surprised how much he liked it because he doesn't like to eat his greens and this is packed with peas, spinach, parsley, turmeric, alfalfa, rosemary, and fennel (although he did eat my parsley shoot once and I have been unable to sprout anymore since then. I still don't forgive him for that). I guess it tasted enough like apple for him to overlook the veggies.

Earning treats

Nootie No Grainers Jerky Chews - BBQ Chicken Flavor (Value: $4.00)
 

As the name suggests, these are grain free and made in the USA. We received the No Grainers training treats version of this flavor before and the pups liked it. But we forgot to zip the bag closed for a few days and everything got rock hard :( Lesson learned. These are the perfect size to stuff the rascals' toys with. Perhaps the Bionic stick?


Etta Says! Crunchy Duck Chew (Value: $0.80)


I'm glad the furballs like duck because we've been getting a lot of it lately! In fact the fluffies are currently working on a bag of duck jerky. We received the Etta Says rabbit chew in last October's box, and I thought it would keep Macho preoccupied for a while. So wrong. This chew looks long-lasting but it's actually really crunchy. Kind of like eating biscotti sans coffee...it takes a while to eat but still very doable in less than 5 minutes. But that's ok; every minute they spend preoccupied is one less minute I have to worry about them trying to maul each other. I'll probably break this in half - it should give me a good minute of peace and quiet.


I think we got a great haul this month. The pups' Barkbox had over $36 worth of fun and I know we'll use everything. We're getting kind of backed up on treats though - I just went through our stockpile and we're about 20 bags deep right now. Looks like my fatsos are about to get fatter fluffier. Do you or your pup want to subscribe to Barkbox? Use my link to get $5 off your first box!
Update 5/27/14: Oops, it appears it's no longer $5 off a new subscription. Instead it's 10% off! Even better! In this case you'd only make out if you signed up for a 3-, 6-, or 12-month plan. So what are you waiting for? Go spoil your pup!


Note: Post contains referral links. I paid for this subscription box and did not receive anything in return for this honest review.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, mine is on the way and I hope I get these things!! I'm trying to teach Bugsy to hold the treat on his head, too! He'll do it but he still doesn't wait as long as I want so it needs more work. I love, love, love your dog photos! They are so cute and it makes me want Corgis. Those ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as Bugsy holds it long enough to snap a photo you NEED to post it! I love how they look so goofy and helpless ;) I kind of like how you can't find spoilers for Barkbox so each month's a total mystery...until people like me go and spoil the surprise. Haha.

      Delete