Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Sephora Sun Safety Kit 2014 Has Arrived!

You would think that if you're living in a place that has no clue what winter is but can show you a thing or hundred about summer, that you'd take some precautions to protect yourself from said summer. You'd think. 

Enter yours truly.

Call it a competition, but growing up we (*ahem* I) always wanted to be the tannest of my siblings/cousins so every time we'd go to the beach I'd nix the sunscreen despite my mom's desperate attempts at slathering some on (little kids run waaay faster than adults). It felt oily and gooey and made you look paaaaaale. So pale. FYI, I ended up being furthest from the tannest of them all. Then school taught us about melanoma. Those teachers can be very convincing. Now here I am, years later thinking I should finally start getting sun conscious. And what better way to show I'm making an effort than buying a whole buttload of sun safety stuff? Thank you, Sephora.

So here it is. My sun safety kit from Sephora. I think it's sold out now, so if you wanted one but didn't get to snatch one up, you get to live vicariously through me (!!).

There are TWO sides of this kit, folks!



Makeup


bareMinerals Mini READY Touch UP Veil Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (0.15oz mini value: $11.50) - This pressed powder does its normal shine-reducing thing plus has anti-aging benefits in addition to protecting skin from the sun. I love bareMinerals and I already use their powder so this will go up for swap.

Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Medium/Deep Matte Bronzing Powder with Real Cocoa (0.14oz mini value: $12.00) - This bronzer really isn't as dark as the picture makes it look. It's like a medium beige color. I already have a ton of bronzers, but chocolate! Real cocoa. It's the 11th ingredient down the list, just below parfum/fragrance, but I don't smell the fragrance. I JUST SMELL CHOCOLATE!


Moisturizers (w/ Sunscreen)


Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion SPF 30 (0.5oz sample value: $12.35) - Oil-free sunscreen + hydrator. Antioxidants help protect against free radical damage from excessive sun and pollution. Sulfate, pthalate, and GMO-free.

Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 PA++ (0.33oz sample value: $7.67) - Whoops how did this get in the pic? It's more of an acne product than a moisturizer. Sunscreen + oil control for up to 8 hours to help prevent breakouts. I admit, I had to google what PA++ meant. Apparently it's moderate protection against UVA rays. As in better than PA+ but not as good as PA+++. I guess they can't put a number on UVA absorption like they can with UVB (SPF)? 

Origins A Perfect World SPF 25 Age-Defense Moisturizer With White Tea (0.5oz sample value: $12.00) - Sunscreen + anti-aging moisturizer. Oil-free and intended for combination to dry skin. Sulfate, paraben, pthalate, and GMO-free.

Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF 20 Broad Spectrum (0.5oz sample value: $22.50) - Anti-aging moisturizer + sunscreen. Aguronic acid works to minimize wrinkles and keep skin smooth. Super pricey but I hear good things about it. Contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or GMOs. Definitely a keeper.

Supposedly a little goes a long way of this stuff so this should last a while

More Sunscreen!



Clarins UV Plus HP SPF 40 Day Screen (0.3oz sample value: $7.24) - Protects against UVA/UVB with the help of white tea and succory dock-cress (a plant). It also contains cantaloupe melon, which supposedly has awesome resistance to aging. Cause you know, a cantaloupe a day keeps the wrinkles away.

Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream+ Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ (0.64oz sample value: $10.40) - Face sunscreen that absorbs quickly and doesn't leave skin feeling sticky. Sounds thick. I hope it doesn't leave me pasty. I'm pasty enough as is.

Ole Henriksen Protect the Truth SPF 50+ Broad Spectrum UV Protection (0.5oz sample value: $8.75) - Oil-free sunscreen with Solar Active Complex technology which uses heat & light to stimulate natural skin repair while also increasing resistance to further damage.

Supergoop! Sun Defying Sunscreen Oil Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (1 oz full size value: $10.00) - Sunscreen...in oil form?! For some reason this makes me automatically think it'll be less greasy than traditional sunscreens. The pure novelty of it makes me want to try it out. This is formulated with meadowfoam oil to keep skin hydrated in the sun. It also contains tocotrienols (counterpart to tocopherols) which is a more potent form of Vitamin E when it comes to antioxidation.



Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 (0.08oz sample value: $11.25) - I think this might tie with the Too Faced bronzer for my favorite thing in the kit! This balm smells citrusy and contains actual sugar to retain hydration. It's free of petroleum, mineral oil, or lanolin. Plus the packaging is very sturdy - a metal twist tube. I have so many open balms but I couldn't resist opening this one too. It's on the pricey side so I don't know if I would spend that much to purchase a full size, but I sure am glad I got to try it!


Self Tanners



Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pad (single pad value: $1.60) - I'm notorious for not following directions so I've always strayed from tanning in any way other than natural sunlight because looking radioactive from a botched tanning session isn't currently on my bucket list. Then I get this kit packed with tanners. No escape. So I tried this single sample wipe. It wasn't dripping with color. That's reassuring. According to the description you can start to notice a difference in as little as 3 hours.

It looks harmless enough
Dr. Dennis Gross Glotion Alpha Beta Glow Moisture (2ml sample value: $2.50) - This glotion is for use after the Alpha Beta Glow Pad. It moisturizes skin to give a healthy, youthful glow. I like the scent, very fruity. I may be seeing things, but I think it may have worked a teensy bit! It's been a while since my face was the same color as my arms. Oh well, I don't think I'll purchase this system though. It's on the pricey side and I think I'll make do with the sun - for free.

Looks gross. But smells divine!

Stila Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Bronzing Beauty Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (0.23oz sample value: $6.72) - This tinted BB cream is infused with microspheres that can hide blemishes and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It also contains skin-protecting emollients that can increase antioxidant activity. This is described as a "5-in-1" formula - it treats, moisturizes, primes, color corrects, and protects. It also tints. So my question is: What are the other 4 things it does?

St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse (1.69oz full size value: $18.00) - Whoa Nelly! The very thing I fear. Spray tanners. My immediate reaction was swap pile! SWAP PILE! Then I read the reviews. And looked at my horrible shorts tan (<--the reason I am not planning on beaching it this summer). Ever since I stopped swimming regularly what little tan I had disappeared. But I still hiked and ran. Whoever said a little outdoor exercise didn't hurt anybody needs to take a look my legs. Like now. I'm actually considering tanning my upper thighs so I can venture out onto the sand again. Because even if I screw up I can always throw on some pants and go back to Plan A: Prude Status.

Tarte Brazilliance Skin Rejuvenating Maracuja Self Tanner (0.5oz sample value: $3.82) - This tanner boasts a natural looking tan without the stink. It contains maracuja oil which replenishes and brightens skin. The set comes with an application mitt (probably necessary for noobs like me who will come out looking streaky without it), but since it didn't come with the kit I'll probably pass this on to someone who actually knows what they're doing.





Travel Bag - This is a very cute canvas bag with windows on either side. Perfect size for travel because I can actually fit my toothbrush in there. The only sad thing was that mine arrive with a small rip in the seam :( Not a big deal though. I'm not planning on manhandling this bag anyway.

:(
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed going through the Sun Safety Kit. I calculated a value of $158.30 without the bag. The label said it was a $177 value...maybe the bag is worth $19? That's one expensive bag. Anyway, I definitely thought it was worth the $32 price tag. I stepped out of my comfort zone and am going to try a self-tanner for the first time. I also fell in love with a chocolate bronzer and a sugar lip balm. The only two items related in any way to sweets. Go figure.

Did you get a Sephora Sun Safety Kit this year? What did you think of the items?

Sephora Sun Safety Kit loot





3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I want that lip balm!! That is such a LOT of stuff, I can't believe it was only $32. I missed out unless I want to drive to a Sephora and get it. Which isn't likely to happen. Have you had a chance to try the Supergoop Oil yet? I really hate sunscreens when they are thick and gross. Maybe an oil would be different...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did! Not greasy at all. Plus it doesn't smell as bad as most sunscreens! Not sure how well it works though, I haven't actually gone outside with it yet...

      Delete
  2. The Wrinkles and the skin droopiness are characteristic and can be managed once you know how to pick the correct skin sort item. One of the way outs is to believe the surveys done by the famous dermatologists and open figures, who have resisted the maturing signs themselves.
    Dermogenix Anti Aging Cream Guarantee

    ReplyDelete