Thursday, July 17, 2014

Barkbox #2 Review - July 2014 + Get 10% Off A New Subscription!


IT'S BARKBOX TIME! AGAIN!

What: Barkbox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according your dog's size. This review is for a small-sized dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $19-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups!

This month I got two Barkboxes (see my review for the first one here) because I had to use a Groupon deal ($42.50 for a 3-month sub!) before it expired. And I realized that I'm spoiled by my original Barkbox account. I created a second account so I could redeem the Groupon, and while both boxes shipped out at the same time, I received that one in two days with Priority Mail while this one took five days. I know that's still pretty quick for travelling across the country and then the Pacific, but like I said, I'm spoiled. Also, I totally forgot that Barkbox now charges $5 shipping per box outside of the continental US, so I also got slapped with a $15 shipping charge for this 3-month sub. In the end I ended up paying more per box than I would've if I had just kept my original subscription. :(  Research fail.

That being said, I think I got a past box. The info card talks about spring and is the exact same one I got in my April box. I'm not upset though because the stuff in here is also suitable for summer and if I recall correctly, I think I got past items in my very first Barkbox on my original account. Plus this one's got different stuff than my April box since it's the small dog curation so it's no big deal.






JW Pet Treat Pod (Approx. Value: $6)



I've received JW toys before and I'm pretty sure this is supposed to come with a cardboard tag telling you what it is. Whether this is a secondhand toy or the tag was accidentally removed by a playful puppy at Barkbox HQ, I'm kinda hesitant about shoving this in my dogs' face just yet. I think I'll give this a good run through the dishwasher first. But this is a perfect toy for my pups; they love interactive treat toys.

Pupdate 7/18/14: Yup, it's a hit! I hid some training treats in a couple of the pods and Pebbles spent two hours straight trying to get at them. I was so impressed that my 6-month-old puppy had enough brains to figure it out. Older brother Macho taught her that dropping treat toys repeatedly usually does the trick, but when that didn't work she actually figured out how to hold the pods apart on her own. It's pretty tough even for me to hold them apart while stuffing it. I'm so proud of her!

Etta Says! Duck Meat Treats (Value: $10)



The furballs are huge fans of the Etta Says duck chew sticks so I think they'll enjoy these roasted treats as well. Grain-free and preservative-free! We've been getting a lot of duck treats lately so they might be a little ducked out right now. I'll save this for later.


Barkworthies 6" Bully Stick (Value: $3)



I kind of expected to get another bully stick in this box. It seems like the small dog box has one every month. This is made out of 100% beef bladder and is digestible unlike rawhide. I'm happy to get this because we got a large one in our other July box so now each dog can have their own.


Bistro Bites Chicken Livers (Value: $7)



Is it weird that I thought this smelled like chicken broth? I think I could've gotten away with eating it if I really wanted to - this treat is totally organic and contains just liver, garbanzo flour, buckwheat flour, and parsley. This box is a one month supply for dogs under 10 lbs. I guess when I signed up for a Small Dog box I forgot to take into account that most small dogs are actually 5 lbs kind of small. Pebbles looks tiny but she's a little over 15 lbs now and I have no idea where she's hiding all that weight. I don't know what's up with dogs and liver but my dogs seem to love the stuff so I'm sure they'll gladly accept this.


Mr. Barksmith's Cool Treats - Carrot Cake (Value: $2)



I received this in the pina colada flavor in my other July box. Like the bully stick, I'm so glad I got one of these so now each pup gets to enjoy this frozen treat on a hot day. Macho didn't seem to care for the carrot cake one from a previous Barkbox, so I think I'll give this to Pebbles. She eats anything and everything. Yesterday I caught her trying to eat my shadow. Not too bright that one.


This box had a value of about $28 which is great considering I only paid about $14 for it (okay, $19 w/ shipping, but a regular 3-month sub comes out to $24/month). But compared to other Barkboxes I've received the value is on the low end. I'm really happy with what came in it though, even if it is a past box. We will be using everything that we received. The only concern I have is with the "opened" JW pet toy. It's not a huge deal since I already knew what it was, but if I hadn't seen it before it wouldn't be very obvious that it's a treat stuffer toy without the tag (assuming I never ever read info cards). I think I'll be upgrading to a medium dog box for next month since Pebbles is growing so fast.

If you are an existing Barkbox subscriber, enter for a chance for your dog to be the star of the next Barkbox commercial! All you have to do is YouTube your dog opening July's box and submit it to Barkbox by 8/4.

Do you subscribe to Barkbox? Does getting two this month make me a crazy dog lady? If you want to start a subscription (or get a second one because you're a crazy dog person too), use my link to get 10% off!



Note: Post contains referral links. I paid for this box on my own using a Groupon deal and did not receive any compensation for this honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are right! I think this is an April box, not that it matters if you didn't get any repeats (although I dont think my dogs would care about repeats in the slightest). I did get one of the JW treat pod toys but with a rope. Bugsy will spend hours on it if I smear peanut butter inside. :D It was on a card. I would email Barkbox and see what's up with yours not being on one!
    I'm so jealous of your duck treats!! I'll trade you my crab/alligator treats! :D Haha, they stink pretty bad though.
    We get the small dog box and my dogs are 17lbs. I cannot believe Pebbles already weighs as much as they do! Corgies must be chunkers under all that hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked online and there is a version of the JW toy with a bone instead of a rope, but it's still supposed to come with a card. Oh well, it's okay because we have nothing like it and Pebbles loves it! I tried the freezing PB like you mentioned a while ago and the dogs absolutely loved it! They appreciate anything frozen, and there's nothing more they like than good ol' peanut butter. Thanks for the suggestion!
      I would love to get my hands on some crab treats! It's something totally new and what's up with dogs having the weirdest attraction to all things stink? I can't believe how fast Pebbles is growing! But believe it or not, she's a slow grower compared to Macho. He was putting on a pound a week for the first 6 months!

      Delete