Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ipsy Review - July 2014

So I did it. After almost of year of reading about the Birchbox vs. Ipsy debate, I finally decided to see for myself. And here's my first Ipsy Glam Bag! Very pink and very shiny.


Here's a bit about Ipsy:
What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 4-6 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extras: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints, which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.

I resisted the urge to peek in my account to see what I'd be getting so this was a total surprise to me.

July Ipsy Glam Bag

Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray (1.7oz Sample Value: $6.65)



This came in a separate baggie which is probably a good thing because it leaked in transit and made the entire package smell beachy. This is a texturizing spray to give you that straight-from-the-beach sexy hair look. Growing up I've had my share of those days of beaching it on the weekends and my hair did not feel sexy afterwards. To me it was just a tangled, salty mess. I guess the experience wouldn't be so bad with a conditioning spray like this, but personally I prefer sleek hair. I'm just boring like that.


Hang Ten Dark Tanning Oil SPF 8 (1oz Sample Value: $1.50)



I haven't touched a tanning oil since ten years ago when I stopped being obsessed with trying to get a tan (I have the worst luck keeping a tan for more than a week). This one's oxybenzone- and paraben-free. That's good. No artificial fragrances. That's a plus. Unfortunately I don't see myself laying out in the sun anytime soon so I'm not sure when I'll use this. I know you're probably thinking, Seriously?! How can you live in Hawaii and not make time to lay on the beach? Believe me, it's possible. You know that tourist trap in your town that you've never visited because you figure there's always next week? Or year? It's like that. And then you end up neeever going. Maybe I'll invest in a lawn chair and lie in my backyard with a good book.


BareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow - Divine Wine (0.03oz Sample Value: $5.40)

This a teeny tiny sample about half the size of my thumb, but believe it or not this is 1/3 the full size. BUT do not be fooled by its looks. You don't need more than one swipe at a time. This product is highly pigmented (see swatch below) and smudgable (is that even a word?) for several seconds after application. After that it stays put. Like, really stays put. BareMinerals claims you can get 12 hours of wear out of a single application which is pretty substantial. But I don't doubt that. I'm a cream eyeshadow noob and only own one subtle peachy shade that doesn't show if you screw up, so I might have to practice a bit with this before wearing it outside of my house.

BareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Cream Eyeshadow in Divine Wine

Pop Beauty Sunkissed Bronzer - Secret Sunshine (0.25oz Full Size Value: $10.00)



This is such a pretty color and looks perfect for my skin tone. However, I have a gazillion bronzers already, and about 3 of them are opened. Since bronzer is not one of those things that I go through quickly, I probably won't get to this for another couple of years. I will have to put this up for swap for some other lucky girl out there.


Pixi Beauty Mini Tinted Brilliance Balm - Pretty Pink (1.8g Sample Value: $8.40)


This is another item I wish I could use but I already have so much of. I have about 5 opened lip balms and one of them is a coral tinted one. I really like this color, but I use tinted balm about twice a month so I'll never get around to using this one. Another reluctant swap item.


The Bag


This month's bag is hot pink with scalloped edges and felt lining. I'm not a fan of the color but I do like that it's a solid color. I'm not too much into crazy patterns and prints. Again, I'm boring like that.


July's bag was valued at $31.95 and contained four samples and one full sized product. I do think everything in here (including the bag) was very appropriate for the season; unfortunately, I don't think I'll be using most of them. I can only see myself using the BareMinerals cream eyeshadow and the bag itself. The rest may be swapped. But I do like the bronzer and lip balm; I just don't see myself using either of them anytime soon. Overall I wasn't too impressed with this bag. Hopefully I can get more use out of next month's items.

Did you receive an Ipsy bag? What kind of items did you get? If you'd like a chance to try makeup you never would've seen yourself spending $$$ on otherwise, use my link to sign up for an account. You almost always get an insanely high valued bag without the hefty price tag. Once you get an account you can skip the wait by posting to Facebook and having a friend subscribe from your link.


Note: Post contains referral links. I was not compensated for this review and this post reflects my honest opinion about the products.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked my Ipsy bag this month, though I'm never really sure what to do with the actual bag, lol. Except for the Hang 10, my bag is pretty different from yours - here's a link to my blog:

    http://rebekkahmay.blogspot.ca/2014/07/ipsy-glam-bag-review-july-2014-blog-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a great bag! I probably wouldn't use the tanning oil either though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great summer bag; unfortunately I don't use hair sprays and tanners. Or brightly colored much of anything for that matter. Oh man I'm such a summer grinch!

      Delete
  3. I got the exact same bag as you also for my very month of Ipsy! I actually liked most of the products but I didn't even open/touch the tanning oil either. I did review the item so hopefully that will prevent me from getting tanning oils in the future... we'll see! I'm excited for next month's bag!

    http://kellcha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! My very first Ipsy Intro buddy! The makeup items were actually pretty good, but it'd take me forever to get to those. I'm excited for next month too! Kinda curious about what the bag will look like..

      Delete