Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rainbow Honey Mystery Bag Review - July 2014



My first Rainbow Honey Mystery BagRainbow Honey specializes in fun nail polishes and other hand care items. I first found out about their mystery bags through Rebecca at Hello Pretty Bird and I just had to get a bag for myself. They have a ton of fun glittery stuff which is exactly the kind of polish I'd been searching for. Here's a bit about the bag:

What: Rainbow Honey Mystery Bag contains cute nail polishes and unreleased samples of their upcoming collections
When: Ships at the beginning of each month
Cost: Small size - $10+$2.95 shipping; Large size - $25 (free shipping); or free with a $65 purchase. This review is for the small bag

July Rainbow Honey info card
The goodies!



This month's featured scent line is Midori. The delicious Japanese liquor is now a delicious fragrance. Since the line hasn't been officially released yet, values are based on previous collections.

Midori Scented Cuticle Balm (0.15oz Full Size Value: $5.00) - This cuticle balm smells wonderful and feels nice too. It's got avocado oil, babassu oil, coconut oil...a whole bunch of oils really, but it didn't leave my fingers an oily mess. In fact it absorbed very well into my cuticles.

Midori Eau de Parfum Rollerball (4ml Sample Value: $4.00) - Mmm. I think this is my favorite perfume fragrance to date. I'm not a huge perfume wearer thanks to C's allergies, but when I do wear it I prefer fun and fruity scents. Midori is exactly that. It's pretty sweet, but not overpowering-cotton-candy kind of sweet. This is also my first rollerball and I am now a huge fan of this type of dispenser. It lets you control how much to apply, and since I prefer not to be smelled before I'm seen, this works perfectly for me.

Midori Cooling Gel (1oz Sample Value ??) - This brand new product contains aloe to protect you on hot summer days. I haven't tried this yet, but if the cuticle balm and perfume are any indication of what I can expect, I'm sure I'll love this on my skin.


Rainbow Honey nail polishes are 3-free and are always super fun-looking. I'm a sucker for confetti or anything colorful and I'd say about 25% of their polishes have colorful specks in them. Here's the polishes in the July bag:


Deep Heart Sea (5ml Sample Value: $3.33) - A blue base with white hearts and neon glitters. I found this one to be kind of thick and hard to apply evenly, but then again I really suck at painting, well, anything. But the color is exactly the kind of colorful polish I like and I am hellbent on practicing till I can do it perfectly having someone better than me paint my nails.

Chemical Plant (5ml Sample Value: $3.33) - A sparkling magenta/violet with sparks of blue and gold shimmer. I was a bit confused by the name because it sounds like it'd be some fluorescent green radioactive color. This is more pink than violet and it's subtle yet the microglitters make it noticeable. Very work-appropriate. I still don't know why this has such a horrible name because I absolutely love this color! I have quite a few pinks, but this is now my favorite one. Also the application was so much easier than with Deep Heart Sea.

Viridis (5ml Sample Value: $3.33) - Neon green stars accented by pastel glitters in a shimmery base. This makes a very nice top coat. In fact right now I'm wearing it over Chemical Plant and it looks lovely. It's hard to get the stars out, though. There are so many in the bottle yet for some reason none want to stick to the brush.


Top to bottom: Deep Heart Sea, Chemical Plant, Viridis

Chemical Plant with Viridis top coat

I am beyond impressed with my first Rainbow Honey mystery bag. For just $10 (plus shipping) I got over $19 worth of still-unreleased items. They encourage feedback on their products and you bet I'm going to let them know how happy I am. Plus when I visit their shop I'm like a kid in a candy store. So much fun stuff! There are currently about 15 polishes that I want to buy. Like, now. Rainbow Honey also sells past months' bags, so if you want to grab July's one it's still available in the shop. I highly recommend you browse through their past collections because if you're the type who likes glitter, you'll definitely find something you like. I guarantee it.

Did you get a Rainbow Honey mystery bag? Did you love the Midori line as much as I did? Their newest collection Summer Mixtape goes on sale 7/18, and using code MIXTAPE20 will get you 20% off your entire purchase. No photos of the polishes up yet, but some of the descriptions sound exciting!

Note: I did not receive any compensation for this review and all opinions are completely my own.

4 comments:

  1. Oooo! This looks like fun! And so much cheaper than Julep :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got this. I can't believe this bag was $10!

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'm sure you'll love it. Did you get the July bag?

      Delete
    3. I think so? It gets here tmw so we'll see if I get the same one as you :D

      Delete