Thursday, August 21, 2014

BarkBox Unboxing - August 2014 + 10% Off A New Subscription!


Yesterday we got our Barkbox! And for some reason the furballs were unusually well-behaved as I was opening the box. I used to let Macho open these boxes but then Pebbles started crying because he gets all the fun, so I let her have at it one month and she had no clue what to do. At least Macho had the desire to teach himself how to open up a box to get the treats; Pebbles just sniffs it then looks at me all helpless.

What: Barkbox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-sized dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $19-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups!


I actually think this box got bitten by the travel bug. It shipped from the East Coast straight on over to Guam. Seriously. On the day I was supposed to receive it, tracking said it had just arrived in Guam. Then it decided to double back to Hawaii. But wait!-- maybe it just wanted to travel overseas because it was influenced by this month's theme:

AHOY, MATEY!


Yes, Barkbox knows that last month's ocean themed box only left pups hungry for more, so enter the nautical box:

August 2014 Barkbox. Notice the new paper design...snazzy!


Feel Good Treat Co Seafood Chowder Treats (Value: $8)



These are baked biscuit treats from Canada. We've got about four bags of treats open right now so we haven't opened any from this box yet, but I think this will be next in line! I'm super curious to see how the pups take to seafood. This is made out of human-grade ingredients so technically people can eat them too. There's only 5 ingredients: potato, herring, peas, carrots, and clams. It's got a faint fishy (= stinky) smell through the bag so I'm sure the furries will be allllll over it!


Waboba Fetch Ball (Value: $10)


It's a ball. THAT BOUNCES ON WATER! Waboba acutally makes a bunch of different varieties for the pool, lake, surf, etc. I really don't know what the difference is. The Fetch version is a squishy, smooshy, nylon/gel ball that you can skip on the water. I can't even skip a rock, how am I gonna skip this? The website even gives some tips on how to play with your Waboba. It sounds super fun, but I don't know if my dogs would chase it in the water. They love to eat water but hate playing in it. This ball is also made in China, for those who are concerned about that kind of stuff. Occasionally Barkbox will include a toy from China, but they never include treats from there, so I'm okay with that.


Grandma Bowser's Country Oven Bisquits - Savory Cheese Flavor (Value: $5)



This normally retails as a 10oz bag but I still think this 6oz size is still pretty hefty! These are like cookies and look good enough to eat. We just finished a bag of Grandma Bowser's peanut butter biscuits and the dogs loved them! This is another treat with human-grade ingredients and it's made with real cheese. If it's anything like the PB cookies, though, it's kind of hard to break in half so I save these for when they're really good and deserve a whole cookie. Yes, I'm that pup parent who tries to pass off halfsies as whole treats to my pets.


Jax and Bones Nautical Wheel Rope Toy (Value: $15)



I am most excited about this item! Pebbles loves loves LOVES rope toys and this will make her one seriously happy puppy. This is marked for aggressive chewers and there is a reason why they chose a corgi to model it. My buttheads have no mercy whatsoever when it comes to chew toys. Especially the smaller one; she'll chew a toy until it is unrecognizable. One thing I love about Jax & Bones is that they donate 10% of proceeds to rescue groups to help animals in need. When Pebbles gets through this I may have to browse their site for her next rope victim.
 Who you calling aggressive?


Barkbox did a great job with the nautical theme this month. I noticed that lots of boxes have monthly themes, but Barkbox does the best job at sticking with them. We will use everything in this box except for maybe the ball. I love the concept and it's a great toy to include, but my dogs just don't love water play. It's not Barkbox's fault that I have defective corgis. Every single corgi I know loves the water. Then there's mine. They both go nuts trying to eat water coming out of the hose nozzle, (which, btw, is the only way Macho will take a bath now...no warm tub baths, just the cold hose) but once I show them a kiddie pool they only way they'll jump in is if I spray water in the middle of it.

If you like what you see in this box or any of the other Barkboxes I've received, use my link to get your very own monthly Barkbox and prepare for a million doggie kisses! You'll also get 10% off your subscription with the link, no matter what length. Enjoy!



Note: Post contains referral links

2 comments:

  1. This box is good, too!! My dogs are murder on toys, as well. The only thing that holds up are Tuffy Toys but they have to be at least an 8 on the "tuff scale". They will eventually be destuffed through an eyeball hole (my dogs chew the eyes off as fast as they can-Tuffy ones are harder to get off but they still manage it). They're expensive but they last so long they're worth it. I get them at dogsupplies.com (love that website!) although I haven't needed new toys since Barkbox. We still have some deflated bodies laying around, though. My dogs love them, especially Dexter.
    I need a ball that skips on water!! Does it float, too? Is it squishy or hard? I might have to find one of those...
    I love the treats Barkbox sends, too. I got two Barkboxes this month because I ordered an allergy one. That review will be up tomorrow. :D
    I hope Pebbles likes her new rope toy. Are you going to freeze it for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll go check out that site...thanks! We got a candy cane Tuffy in a Happy Dog Box and it took her 2 months to destuff that one which is actually really long. I'm pretty sure the Waboba will float-- it's soft and squishy and I'd imagine a ton of fun for dogs to chomp on because it's got some gel inside. I am definitely freezing the rope toy! I can't believe I haven't thought of doing that before. In fact, I'm gonna throw all their rope toys in the freezer so I can have a stockpile ready to go on the super hot days!

      Delete