Monday, August 18, 2014

Julep Review - August 2014

Julep time! I really didn't remember what I chose for my box so this was pretty much a surprise to me. 

What: Julep Maven boxes include at least $40 worth of nail polish and other makeup and skin care items. Boxes are curated according to your style profile.
When: Boxes ship on the 27th of each month
Cost: $24.99/month ($19.99/month on prepaid 3-month plan)
Extra Info: Boxes are now fully customizable. Mavens are allowed to mix and match items from different style profiles for that month's box.


The box had such pretty sparkly tissue paper this month! I'm one of those people who notice the tiniest details but are oblivious to huge obvious changes. Go figure.


August's picks came from the Wanderlust collection.

August Julep Maven box
Julep Gel Eye Glider - in Blackest Black (Value: $16 / $12.80 Maven)



I think I love this. I mentioned before that I'm starting to favor pencil type liners over gel/shadow types. And unlike the Kajal liner I got in my Truth & Dare mystery box, the tip didn't break just by swatching.


This pencil glides on smoothly without tugging and leaves behind a rich, creamy black color. It's smudgeable for about 10 seconds then it sets. Then you'd have to rub it pretty hard to smear it significantly. As in you'd have to be bawling and rubbing your eyes like crazy. Or perhaps get a gnat stuck in your eye causing you rub the itch to no end. Alright I'm being a little dramatic, but it really does stay put quite well.

Gel eye glider swatch (in Blackest Black)

Julep Nail Polishes (Value: $14.00 each / $11.20 Maven)



Lots (all?) of the Wanderlust collection colors are metallic and shimmery. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to try out either polish yet so I won't be able to comment on the formulas, but here's what I got:

Waleska (Boho Glam) - eucalyptus green chrome with gold iridescence. I really don't know why I chose to go with green. Normally I would've preferred a beautiful blue like India instead. I guess it's because I don't own any greens. This one's sort of a green-blue mermaid kind of color, so maybe in my mind it passed as both blue and green. It's still a nice color though. Even though it does make me think of a blowfly.
Katie (Classic With A Twist) - orchid iridescent chrome. Typical me color. I didn't like pink until I started wearing nail polish (I was always a "blue" person). Now C says I'm so girly. I've got lots of light pink polishes and a few pinky peaches, but bold no fuchsias or magentas. I'm really happy to add this to my collection. Lately I've been gaining more courage and stepping out of the house with bolder colors because what better excuse is there than blaming it on the season? And because with all this practice I've been getting, now I'm able to color in the lines a bit better :-P

There was also a phone screen cleaner thingy included in the box to promote the Julep app. One side sticks to the back of your phone and the other is microfiber to clean your screen. If you have an iPhone and download the app, you get free Jules! I really wish they'd start making these apps for the Google Play Store; I want free points too!


This month's Maven box had a total value of $44 ($35.20 Maven). But I'm not particularly picky about the price point (say that 5 times fast!) for this box since I snagged it on a special (glitch...hehe) for only $5.something per box. I'm very happy with my new goodies because I'm sure the glider will be my new favorite eyeliner and I think both polishes are gorgeous.

If you want to become a Maven sign up today! And don't forget to use these codes:
-Get $20 off a $50+ order with code EMMYS. Sale ends at midnight tonight (PST)
-Save 30% on any Gel Eye Glider with GLIDERPERK (exp 8/31)
-Mavens, get a free polish with your next $15+ order with code COLORFORYOU (exp 9/30)



Note: Post contains referral links. I was not compensated in any way for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment