Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rainbow Honey Mystery Bag Review - August 2014


I love confetti polishes (but putting them on is a totally different story), and Rainbow Honey seems to specialize in those. I also love how quickly Rainbow Honey gets here. Two days and it's in my hands. Yippee!

What: Rainbow Honey Mystery Bag contains cute nail polishes and unreleased samples of their upcoming collections
When: Ships at the beginning of each month
Cost: Small size - $10+$2.95 shipping; Large size - $25 (free shipping); or free with a $65 purchase. This review is for the small bag



August info card


488nm (5ml sample value: $3.33) - A solid blue azure creme. This pretty blue will be in an upcoming 2015 collection. I love the color but thought it was a bit runny. You'd need at least two, maybe three coats to get even coverage. I already have a color very similar to this one so I'll probably save this for when (if) I ever finish that bottle.

Modern Hearts (5ml sample value: $3.33) - A mix of peach, pink, and neon matte glitters with white hearts in a shimmery base. As I mentioned earlier, I love Rainbow Honey's huge variety of cute confetti toppers, but for some reason I can never get much confetti off the brush! The swatch above is four coats; I spent the last three trying to get that heart shape off the brush so I can show you what it looks like. I think once I master the art of fishing for glitter I'm gonna love this.

Royal Fruits Scented Top Coat (5ml sample value: $2.67) - Rainbow Honey is somewhat known for their scented top coats. Granted you can't really get away from the nail polishy smell, you can actually catch a whiff of something sweet as it's drying. I wouldn't recommend stuffing your nose in the bottle though...



This month's featured scent is Royal Fruits, a summery fragrance reminiscent of warm weather and summer fruits. Since the Royal Fruits line hasn't been released yet, values are based on previous collections.

Royal Fruits Cuticle Balm (0.15oz full size value: $5.00) - This scent smells sweet like last month's midori featured scent, but I guess maybe not as sweet? I dunno, maybe I've been huffing this thing for too long trying to put my finger on what it smells like, but I'm also catching a hint of something faintly herbal in there. It's good though, but I barely used the midori cuticle balm so this will probably be swapped. Or used as a lip balm.

Royal Fruits Eau de Parfum Rollerball (0.13oz sample size value: $4.00) - Ok, there is definitely a bit of something herbal mixed in with this somewhere. It's faint, but it's there. But it still smells good if you like sweet-smelling stuff. I'm starting to think that the typical mystery bag curation will include three polishes, a cuticle balm, and a rollerball.

Summer Juice Body Splash (1oz sample value: ??) - Summer Juice is a scent already familiar to the brand, but now it's back in the form of a body spritz. It smells kind of citrusy and not as sweet as Royal Fruits. I actually like it better. Unfortunately, I don't wear fragrances on a normal basis so this will go to someone who can give it a better home.


August's mystery bag had a value of around $20. It's a fantastic value and you get items that almost anyone can get some use out of. This month's was a bit similar to July's bag, but previous months' have looked different. We'll see how September goes; if it's almost the same again I'll probably take a break until I get through my current RH cuticle balm and rollerball stash.

If you're interested in picking up the August bag, it's still available in the Rainbow Honey shop. Or if you want to start your own subscription you can do so here (this is NOT a referral link). Hope you enjoy their products as much as I do!




4 comments:

  1. Wait, what exactly does the scented top coat smell like?! I'm not sure if encouraging people to sniff nail polish is a great idea or kind of crazy, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like an idiot I stuck my nose in the bottle to see just how "scented" it really was. Turns out, bad idea. Up close it smells gaggingly fantastic like any other top coat, but if you happen to wave your hands in front of your face to fan the fumes, you can actually catch a whiff of something fruity and sweet. Not sure if I'd recommend applying 5 coats just to get high off the smell, but it's definitely something novel and fun to try at least once.

      Delete
  2. I used it as a top coat and once it dries it smells really good :D In the bottle... not so much. I'm really bad at glitter polishes and it does seem to be rainbow honeys favorite thing. It's such a good deal but... I just am no good at glitter that big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I can never seem to get the pieces onto my nail, much less do it evenly. But the toppers are so pretty!

      Delete