Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Amezaiku - (Adorable) Japanese Candy Art!

This past weekend I attended a first birthday party and saw the cutest thing ever - lollipops shaped like animals! Not only are they cute, but THEY ARE MADE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!

This is the Japanese art of amezaiku, or candy crafting using colored sugar mixtures. Basically, the artist prepares a huge batch of carefully melted sugar and pinches off one glob at a time and forms it into intricate sculptures. Since it's essentially hard candy, the artist has to work quickly (as in under 5 minutes) to finish the sculpture before the candy hardens.


One well known amezaiku artist is Candy Miyuki, who until recently was performing at Epcot Center in Disney World in Florida. Not too many people practice this art anymore, but if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend witnessing this spectacle because it is EFFIN' AWESOME! This particular guy at the party was from Candy Art Hawaii. I'd heard about these guys before but had never seen them in action.

Artist from Candy Art Hawaii making amezaiku
Okay I know this was a first birthday party for kids and all, but adults need their fun too. Besides, most of the children were standing in line for balloons. I hear these guys can make virtually anything, but for the sake of super expedited candy-making they were only offering a preset list of animals that included pretty much everything on the Chinese zodiac along with some farm and marine animals. Of course I chose the dog.

So here's my floppy-eared Pebbles that fell into a bucket of butterscotch:






AMAZEBALLS. It even has a collar! And look at that (de)tail! It's got lines!


One hour later I stood in line again because the kids were still eating lunch and because my mental age is 4. I was trying to decide between a pig and a frog. I asked what's cuter and the artist said the pig is probably more "cutesy" and popular. Because fat animals = cute animals. (Why else would I call my dogs cute?) To be different I asked for the frog.






Ohmygosh it's a fat frog! Therefore by default it's cute. I needed to sneak that side view in because you can't get the full effect from the front view alone. They kept their shape surprisingly well and weren't sticky at all until I took them out of their bags to photograph four days later. They were exposed to the air for less than a minute but I had a hell of a time getting them back in. Sticky to da max. 

Some other animals I saw were a dragon (a whole 'nother level of intricacy), monkey, penguin, and even multi-colored candy sculptures. Sorry I don't have any pictures of those for you to gawk at but I did find some on the Candy Art of Hawaii Facebook page:

Source: Candy Art Hawaii Facebook page
 Source: Candy Art Hawaii Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Candy-Art-Hawaii/
Source: Candy Art Hawaii Facebook page
Source: Candy Art Hawaii Facebook page
Pure awesomeness, dontcha agree? To quote James Earl Jones, Totes Adorbs.

I am never gonna eat my lollipops.

6 comments:

  1. This is so freaking cool! I don't understand how the pig could be cuter than that rotund frog. But I guess there's only one way to find out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously contemplating having these guys at my kid's first birthday party. And I don't even have a kid yet!

      Delete
  2. OMG best candy every seen!! When I saw this post first thought, where can I buy! but it's a long trip I think just for candy xD That candy is just amazing, and the little fat frog, really beautiful art!! so jealous of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was so awesome! The artists have to go to Japan just for training. I'm so glad I got to see it in action. But I heard the lollipops don't keep long. My friend had one and she said they melted after a couple of weeks :(

      Delete
  3. This is so totes adorbs, I can hardly stand it! Love the dog! I bet they could make a goat. Is there a year of the goat? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they do goats too! My friend has a pomeranian and he made one that looks exactly like it!

      Delete