Tuesday, September 16, 2014

BarkBox Review - September 2014 + 10% Off A New Subscription



Cheerbarkers. That's what I picture when I think of my dogs and this month's Barkbox theme.

Rah rah ree, kick em in the knee!
Rah rah ruff, kick em in the fluff!
What: Barkbox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups!

Somehow they KNEW what it was before I even opened it
In case you didn't catch on, September's Barkbox is about football. Homecoming, cheering, making out under the bleachers...wait, what? Don't blame me, the info card started it (click to enlarge): 


It's been a while since I let Macho open his own box so I thought I'd let him have a go. Last month Pebbles had no idea what to do when I put the box in front of her, but this time she picked up on it instantly when she watched her brother.




Thanks, Coach. Anyway, let's see what we got:

Petsafe Indigo Smokehouse Strips - Bacon Flavor (Value: $7)

This is exactly the kind of food that Macho and Pebbles live for, so I'm going to save this for when they do something utterly amazing, like pick up their own poop or vacuum the house. This is pork with natural liquid smoke, so pretty much like lil' smokies for dogs. It has to be refrigerated after opening and consumed within 3 days. In that case, maybe I'll help them finish it. Before you judge me, know that it's made with 100% human grade ingredients; no preservatives or artificial flavoring added. I love lil' smokies.

Fabdog Pom Poms (Value: $10)

Omgomgomg the dogs went freakin' nuts over this. When they got the box open they IMMEDIATELY started fighting over this toy. After a straight half hour of tug of war the tennis balls were crushed and missing chunks, but the rest of it was (surprisingly) intact. This pom pom rope is a Barkbox exclusive and cannot be found anywhere on the Fabdog website (although you'll find some other great toys). I want to drape this over Macho's shoulders and make him look like a cheerleader. Stay tuned for the post-game photoshoot!

Etta Says! 12" Crunchy Duck Chew (Value: $4)

We've received these before and they do not last long at our house, regardless of flavor. The bozos seem to always think it's a race of who can finish their treat faster. According to the ingredient description, this has duck feet in it. Whoa. I like these because they're easy to break in half, the dogs like em because they taste amazeballs, I guess.

Nootie Yumzies Jerky Burgers - BBQ Duck Flavor (Value: $7)

For a while we were getting a bag of duck treats every month so the dogs were getting ducking tired of it (see what I did there?). It's been several weeks since their last duck encounter so I gave Macho a couple of pieces of these grain-free jerky burgers (anyone else think dog treats are sounding more and more like human treats?). Then I tossed a piece into Pebbles' kennel so that she could catch it, but TWICE it bounced off her nose, out of her cage and into Macho's waiting mouth. In the end: Macho-4, Pebbles-1 (I handed her one for pity reasons). 

PetProjekt Football Tretbal (Value: $9) 

This is probably the item that I, the human, am most excited about. For one, it fits perfectly with this month's football theme. Secondly, it's a treat stuffer toy! I'm alllll for hiding my dogs' treats and making them spend an hour trying to figure out how to get them. I'd suggest putting only tiny treats in here. Reason being because you see that pic below? There's a stem on the inside holding the who halves together, so that's the most I could pry them apart with my human hands. Tiny treats will be able to escape through that crack, but anything bigger will be impossibly hard for your dog to get at, unless your dog has fingers. This ball's also got holes so your pup can smell the treat so he doesn't lose interest. Not that it'd matter for my dogs...I'm not sure if it's because they're EXTREMELY treat driven, but they'll spend two hours trying to get at a treat that's sealed off in a capped water bottle. Yes, I am devious like that. But I'll have you know that they (and by they I mean Macho) outsmarted me by ripping the plastic bottle apart. WTF??



This box is valued at $37 which I found is consistent among all the Barkboxes I've received. And it's totally worth it if you subscribe to the 6-month or 1-year plans since you get about twice the value that you pay for. I'm also happy to report that this box is on my Top 5 Favorite Barkboxes! I know the fluffies would ask for more of all three treats if they could talk. I'm especially thrilled with the toys. They play tug of war EVERY. SINGLE. DAY because it helps to get their energy out since we don't have any sheep for them to herd, and this pom pom rope sure beats seeing them tugging apart their beloved plushies from boxes past. The football treat dispenser is a godsend because they're slowly breaking all of their treat dispensers. We're talking gnawed plastic that won't screw closed, splintered marrow bones, shattered plastic because they think the answer to all dispensers is to drop it from as high as possible... So it's great to finally have a toy they can't break so easily. Scoooooore!

If you have a dog that would enjoy discovering new goodies every month (and what dog wouldn't?), you can sign up here to receive 10% off your new subscription of any length! Your pup gets toys, you get more doggy love, it's a win for both sides. :)


Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Mine only just shipped today and I hope it's the same as yours! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them so obsessed with a toy! Neither of them will let the rope out of their site. I even had to take it away a couple of times because they got all nuts. I definitely think it's the best toy we've gotten from Barkbox.

      Delete