Monday, September 22, 2014

Bulu Box Review - September 2014


After a couple of pretty decent boxes last month (that's right, TWO. Read about them here and here), I decided to extend my subscription and give Bulu Box another chance. I picked up a 3 month subscription for $15 using a referral link, plus I applied for an $8 rebate for Women's Health magazine (you get 1 year free with a $10 transaction from Bulu Box) for a grand total of $7 for three months, or $2.33/box. Not too bad, huh? Don't make me regret my decision, Bulu Box. 

What: Bulu Box is a health, wellness, and (optional) weight loss subscription box containing 4-6 premium samples. Two box curations: Regular and Weight Loss. This review is for the Weight Loss box. (UPDATE: I just looked at my sub details. Turns out it somehow got switched to the Regular box)
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $10/month (free shipping)
Extra tidbits: Earn points for purchasing Bulu Boxes/items in the shop, reviewing box items, and referring friends. Every 10 points counts as $1 credit in the Bulu Box shop






Hercules Pocket-n-Go Vitamin Pack (1 packet value: $1.23) -  This is pretty much One-A-Day along with his colorful friends. Each packet contains four pills: 1 Multivitamin, 1 CoQ10, 1 Krill Oil, and 1 Vertox. CoQ10 (orange veggie capsule) is an antioxidant great for heart health. Krill oil (softgel) is the "better" alternative to fish oil since it's omega-rich (3, 6, and 9) AND antioxidant-rich (in the form on astaxanthin), unlike its fish counterpart. Vertox (brown veggie capsule) is a blend of a bajillion plant powders and extracts that give you your daily dose of trace vitamins and minerals so that you don't have to eat 10 lbs of kale everyday. I don't know about you, but I'd rather take a pill than eat half my weight in fruits and vegetables on the daily.

Calsura - Blueberry Acai (1 packet value: $0.87) - If your throat is tired from swallowing the Hercules vitamins and you don't feel like chewing a Viactiv or sucking on a lozenge, never fear! Another supplement is here - in drink tablet form. Each packet contains two effervescent tablets for those who prefer to drink our vitamins. I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't taste like feet. Drop in 2 tablets per pint of water (or 1 tablet per cup for a 1/2 serving size), wait a few minutes for it to dissolve, and-- okay maybe 2 tablets per cup of water is more like it (the suggested serving tastes like really watered down Airborne). But it does taste pretty good. One serving contains 100% of your daily dose of Vitamin C and 50% of your calcium and Vitamin D. Yum. If blueberry acai isn't your cup of tea water, there's also flavors like peach mango, pineapple coconut, and cranberry pomegranate.

Coromega Be Bright Superfood Oil (sample value: ~$0.15) - I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up to date on the latest health food trends and whatnot, so I'm kind of still wrapping my head around this one. It's a superfood blend, but not only that, it's a superfood oil blend. Coconut, chia seed, avocado, hemp seed, and black cumin seed oils all combined to create a "creamy, delicious, easy to use daily health booster." Like so:
Captain Planet FTW
For some reason I pictured a glob of thick stinky oils, but the picture on the product card looks like vanilla pudding. I haven't tried this yet and I'm not sure what to expect.
Superfoods make you shine bright like a diamond


Natrol NuHair Foam (full size value: $23.99) - When I first saw this I thought it was mousse + Rogaine in one.  Maybe, maybe not. The mousse part is sort of correct since it does have limited hold capability, but the product info says that this foam defends against hair follicle damage by nourishing and energizing it. How? Beats me. According to the NuHair website, it blocks the effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in hormone-driven hair loss, but it doesn't say how it blocks DHT (inhibits DHT production? competes for receptor site?). I don't have thinning hair yet, but even if I did I would still like to know the nitty gritty before spraying something like this on my head.



K-Pax Energy (3 packets value: $4.30) - K-Pax is like a multivitamin on steroids. It's packed with vitamins and minerals with an extra punch of B12 (500 mcg) for extra energy. PLUS 120 mg of caffeine. Oh boy. I've got a horrible case of the Mondays so I'm gonna try this. This horse pill smells very herbal..tastes like herbs too. Let's see if it works.
There should be 2 pills but I took one before remembering to snap a pic
UPDATE: So I guess this works. At least kind of. After taking this I didn't get my usual 2pm crash, but it's not like I was bouncing off the walls with energy either. Surprisingly I didn't get jittery, something this non-coffee drinker usually gets when socked with high concentrations of caffeine. I'm glad I got three samples so I can see whether this was a fluke or if this thing really works.

RidgeCrest ClearLungs Chest Rub (3 ml sample value: $1.30) - A unique blend of Chinese herbs and aromatic oils helps soothe coughs and relieve congestion while keeping airways clear of mucus. This has the same active ingredients (camphor, menthol) as Vicks VapoRub. It's got a picture of a kid on it but according to the directions adults can use it too. I'm fighting a cold so I think I'm gonna try this tonight. 

Also included is a 20% off coupon to hipS-sister, the maker of stylish hip pocket belts, with code BULUBOX.

So what do I think of this month's Bulu Box? Aside from the NuHair product, I thought this box was really flat, just like July's box. No one likes foils, but I guess when you think about it, that's about all they can give without throwing an entire bottle of supplements in there. It's definitely not as good as last month's box but it could be worse. I mean, at least I can use 5/6 of the items (and I didn't get an arousal oil this month! Ha). This box raked in a value of about $32 but I won't be using the big ticket item so really it had a value of about $8 to me. But it's still more than the $2.33 I paid for it so it's okay (not so okay if I had paid full price). And I'm not totally turned off by any of the items (well, maybe the hair product but that's only because I can't find enough info on it) so it's not a big loss in my book.

Do you want to Bulu? If so, use my referral link to start receiving supplements to help you live a happy, healthy lifestyle! You can choose either a regular or a weight loss box. I've never gotten a "regular" box before, but the weight loss version tends to contain lots of energy supplements and supposed "fat-burners." And in my experience boxes are pretty hit or miss. Kind of like a Birchbox. But the points system is great. Also just like Birchbox. Haha.

UPDATE: As I mentioned in the above update, it turns out my subscription somehow switched to the Regular box.

And here's some Bulucodes, my friends!
SEPT20 - 20% off all September Bulu Box products
50GUMMIES - Free bottle of Simple Being Daily Personal Vitamin Gummies with any $50 purchase
CLICK10 - 10% off an order of Click Protein powder




Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions contained within this post are my own.

4 comments:

  1. Reading Bulu Box reviews is so much fun. Lots of people are like "Wtf did I just get a box of?!" I am not renewing. I've got 9 months of boxes and only one good thing. That's a bad record! I wish the points were as good as Birchbox. I would continue if they had more value. I'm glad your drink didn't taste like feet! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I kept saying I won't renew and then I got a decent box last month and all of a sudden I'm all "Oh I'll give them one more try." I think it would be so much better if they just gave more of each sample so we actually know if we like it or not.

      Delete
  2. Bulu Box can be so hilariously weird at times. Chest decongestant and stuff for thinning hair are totes what every young woman wants. But I do think the K-Pax vitamins are OK (even though the name makes me giggle because of the movie). Bulu Box sent me a whole bottle of them once unsolicited (???) and I took them and I felt highly energized. Wheeeeeeeeeee! I'd buy them if they were less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the K-Pax (I harhar'd too) and I actually preferred it over other energy supplements. It didn't make me jittery at all (I HATE the caffeine jitters)

      Delete