Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Ipsy Review - September 2014


*Gasp* Could it be true? Has Ipsy actually beat Birchbox to my mailbox this month?! Did it really "only" take 15 days to get here? What's Ipsy?

What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 4-6 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extras: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints, which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.


I don't like pink. Well, I thought I didn't until I found myself buying tons of pink lip glosses and pink nail polish. What the heck? Since my makeup preferences have betrayed me lately, I actually wasn't dismayed at receiving a pink lip gloss in my Ipsy bag. When I swatched it I thought it'd be too bright but it was actually more like a nudey pink when I put it on. Kind of sticky but it's not too bad. Could be worse.
Cailyn Art Touch Lip Gloss

Be A Bombshell Smooth Criminal Powder (Full size value: $12.00)
I read somewhere that you can make your own finishing powder by mixing cornstarch with a bit of foundation for color. This looks pretty much like the cornstarch part. Or silica, to be exact. I haven't opened it yet because I haven't decided if I want to keep it or not. I still have two pots of finishing powders to go through so I'll probably pass this along.
Oh, and if you were wondering, yes I did make my own cornstarch powder once. It worked okay but it was waaay too fine and the cornstarch would fly all over the place and make me sneeze every time I opened it. Of course I could've just held my breath, but I kinda like oxygen.

Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Duo - Redgy (Full size approx value: $15.00)
I've actually been eyeing this in Target every time I pass by the nail polishes. Of course I would've preferred a PINK (Pretty Piggy was one of the choices), but beggars can't be choosers and I'm okay with the red. Supposedly with this you can get gelish-looking nails without a UV lamp and it'll last 14 days and be easy to remove. Of course I was really excited to try this. It's got the weird flat brush you find in some Sally Hansen bottles but I think it grew on me and I like it now. The color applies very evenly and the formula is perfect - no gooping, no streaking. You can even get decent coverage in a single coat. The Miracle Gel Top Coat is supposed to "activate curing" somehow; unfortunately, my brush was cracked and some bristles were trying to escape.
 Oh well, at least most of them are intact. I went ahead and tried to brush on the top coat..
...then this happened. *sad face*
Looks like I'll have to wait a while to see if the Miracle Gel duo really works. Well at least the first half looks pretty good.

I've never used a hair mask before and I'm kinda excited to try this. I would've loved to get this when my hair was a mile long and color treated and crazy dry and brittle at the ends. Now it's not so bad but could still use a bit of conditioning. This mask has the consistency of face cream and smells so refreshing :)

I almost immediately threw this in the swap pile because the pencil tip looked like another one of those hard ones that tug without much color payoff. But I just threw out a brown pencil for that very reason and currently have no browns, so I thought I'd give this a try. Good thing I did because it glides really smoothly with barely any pressure. The texture's not too creamy but that's fine with me. The only thing is it doesn't have great staying power. Oh well I'll keep it anyway, it's still better than my last one. 
Pacifica eye pencil

Overall a great bag! It had over a $53 value with a good variety of items spanning makeup, nails, and hair. I'll be keeping everything except the finishing powder since I already have a lot. I'm waiting to hear back from Ipsy care about the Miracle Gel top coat, but I wouldn't hold my breath. At least it came with a $2.00 coupon for another bottle. 

If you'd like a chance to try makeup you never would've seen yourself spending $$$ on otherwise, use my link to sign up for an account. You almost always get an insanely high valued bag without the hefty price tag. There's a waitlist for Glam Bags, but you can skip the wait by posting to Facebook and having a friend subscribe from your link.


Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

7 comments:

  1. Not a bad bag overall! If your Sally Hansen topcoat is really too screwed up to use properly I'd write Ipsy and complain. They will probably send you a replacement or another item in apology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup the brush is pretty screwed up, I tried using the last three bristles left on the brush and even that fell out :( I actually sent Ipsy a photo and a nicely-worded message and they haven't written back yet, but I did get a tracking email for a "special package in the mail." I hope it's a replacement :)

      Delete
    2. I bet it is! Ipsy has been so cool about damaged product. Last time, they sent me two fun things instead of whatever it was that was broken. I'm totes jealous of your Sally Hansen duo even if it was malfunctioning :D I totally wanted it.

      Delete
    3. I'm actually surprised how shiny it is, even without a top coat. Not sure if I'd call it gelish shiny, but definitely shinier than other nail polishes. I'm sold. I think the duo sells for $15 at Target. You should grab one if you get the chance. I think I'm gonna go this weekend to look at what other colors they've got :)

      Delete
    4. I found this post because my brush for the miracle gel top coat was exactly like this. I emailed Sally Hansen and hopefully I can get a replacement. Did Ipsy ever send you one?

      Delete
  2. I hear good things about that oxygen. People seem to dig it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I hear it's great for your health and stuff. I'm a fan!

      Delete