Saturday, September 13, 2014

Julep Maven Review - September 2014 + Get a Free Box!


Yay! My September Julep box arrived and it took only 2 1/2 weeks to get here instead of the regular 3+ weeks (as if that's something to celebrate). This month's theme is The Art Walk Collection.

What: Julep Maven boxes include at least $40 worth of nail polish and other makeup and skin care items. Boxes are curated according to your style profile.
When: Boxes ship on the 27th of each month
Cost: $24.99/month ($19.99/month on prepaid 3-month plan)
Extra Info: Boxes are now fully customizable. Mavens are allowed to mix and match items from different style profiles for that month's box.

UPDATE 9/19/14: Julep has asked me to help spread the word about their newly revamped nail polish page. Please take a look around as I believe they have moved some things around and added the Core Colors, Julep Exclusives, and Retired groups. There's also a Birthstones Collection featuring gorgeous gemstone-colored polishes from each month. So go check it out if you haven't already!

This is my last box in a 3-month sub I snagged during a super awesome special they had. The Style Profile quiz suggested I choose the Classic With A Twist profile. However, in three months I've only kept 2 out of 6 default polishes in the Classic box. In other words, my tastes in clothes/bags/whatever else is on the quiz don't agree with my fingers. Mysterious things, those phalanges.

Blank Canvas Plumping Lip Primer (Value: $22.00 / $17.60 Maven)


Let me start off by expressing my profound disappointment in this product. The featured September beauty item was the Plush Pout Lip Crayon. I thought about grabbing the Almond Nude shade then saw that I had the choice of getting a lip primer instead. I don't own a single lip primer so I opted for the Blank Canvas primer. Of course I failed to read any reviews beforehand. This is like a clicky pen and I thought it was so cool until I was on my 35th click without any product showing up on the fuzzy tip. After about 50 clicks a stream of tinted primer suddenly comes oozing out and continues oozing long after I stop clicking. We're talking fifty clicks' worth of product. Panicking, I caught it all on my finger and hastily slapped it all on my lips. A couple of things I noticed: (1) The product is thick thick thick. You need to use your fingers to spread it around or else you'll never get even coverage. A little goes a long way; (2) I didn't notice any plumping effect. No tingling, no fuller lips. Just looked like my lips were wearing concealer. Okay, not that bad, but I haven't seen how it looks under a lipstick/gloss yet. Oh, and it also smells heavily of oil. Like rancid vegetable oil.


Julep Nail Polishes ($14.00 each / $11.20 Maven)

Lupita (Classic With A Twist) - ripe rhubarb creme
Ryan (It Girl) - overcast teal satin

I just got around to using August's polishes last week and here's September's already. Sorry I don't have a review of each polish, but I do have swatches.

I have tons of glittery and pink and blue polishes but I have basically zero reds and greens. I already know what I'm planning to do with these:

I love strawberries so it only makes sense to make my nails look like 'em! They'll look more like strawberry-rhubarbs but whatever, who's judging?


This month's box was valued at $50 ($40 Maven), but I was so disappointed in the lip primer that to me it's barely worth $5. I really hope I'm just using it wrong and will figure out the best way to apply it, but the applicator is horrendous and so far the product itself isn't too hot either. This is the first Julep product I'm this dissatisfied with. (Okay maybe the second. That cream eyeshadow I got in my Truth and Dare box turned out to be so rubbery that I couldn't pick any up on the brush without pulling up the entire contents of the pot, so I ended up tossing the whole thing without even using it) I should've stuck with my original plan and gotten the Plush Pout because I've been hearing so many good things about that one.

If you want to become a Julep Maven, sign up and take the profile quiz to get started. They have gorgeous polishes, but just keep in mind that while most of the beauty products are great, don't be surprised if you get a couple of duds too. And since we all like freebies, here's a couple of codes to help you out:

FREECITY - Pick up a new subscription and get a City Lights Beauty Box ($62 value) for FREE!!!
COLORFORYOU - Free polish with a purchase of $15+ (exp 9/30)



Note: Post contains referral links

3 comments:

  1. I love the Plush Pout! I'm getting more in the Secret Store if they have it. I have that Lip Primer and it dries my lips out so much I prefer not to use it. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the clicks!! Then it just keeps on oozing out! LOL!
    You should have emailed them about your shadow (maybe you still can?) because it's definitely not supposed to be rubbery.
    I got Lupita, too (customized!) and I really like it. It's a nice color and the formulation is good. That's kinda rare with Julep... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The lip primer is driving me crazy! And it doesn't make my gloss last any longer than without it. *sigh* I'm actually about to put on the Lupita right now! Good to know it's a good formula. I feel like most of the Julep ones are on the thin side.

      Delete
    2. You're right! It goes on so evenly. Sooo much easier to work with than most of their other colors

      Delete