Monday, September 8, 2014

Total Beauty Collection Unboxing - Illuminating Grab Bag


Last week Total Beauty had a huge sale on several new collections. They were $20 each but I used a 20% off code and picked up the Illuminating Grab Bag for $16. This grab bag promised 8 items with a $65 value. Did they deliver?





CoTZ Face Natural Skin Tone SPF 40 Sunscreen (2g sample value: $0.94) - Ah, sunscreen. I think I have enough sunscreen to last me 5 years. This puny sample will add about two days to that. That said, I must admit this is one of the best I've tried. Most face sunscreens make my face white and greasy. Fortunately this one's tinted. It also applies light and smoothly and leaves my face feeling velvety. I may have to look into picking a tube up after this sample runs out.

Elan Veda Skin Renue (~2ml sample approx value: $6.10) - Elan Veda specializes in alternative medicine and aromatherapy. They also have a range of essential oils touted to alleviate health woes such as headache, sinus congestion, muscle pain, and aging skin. I love essential oils for their scent, but I'm not much of a believer of them actually loosening up my tight muscles or making wrinkles disappear.



Nelson j Argan Oil 7 Styling Conditioner - Volume (4oz full size value: $15.00) -  Mmm, smells like tea. This is a 7-in-1 styling conditioner that detangles, thickens, volumizes, shines, protects color, and protects hair from heat and sun. This is sort of like a mousse but I like that it doesn't leave your hair (or your hands) sticky. I don't style my hair because I hate the sticky feeling, but maybe now I can start. Any hairstyles you recommend?

Alfaparf Milano Semi di Lino Diamante Illuminating Serum (~0.25oz sample size approx value: $5) - Whoa, try saying that 5 times fast. I got this sample in my last Total Beauty collection. It's a hair serum that restores softness and shine with vitamin E and omegas 3 & 6. I'd swap this but it leaked all over the box in transit. I'm not gonna ask for a replacement because I already have about 82 hair oils in my drawer. Don't get me wrong, it works wonderfully and does a great job of smoothing the frizzies, but I wish I got something else other than the same exact serum. 



Neutrogena Naturals Lip Balm (4g full size value: $3.00) - Another item I received in my last Total Beauty box. I have too many lip balms, and unless it's a fun flavor that grabs my attention (STRAWBERRY!) then I'm going to pass on it. Maybe C would like it. He likes boring non-flavors. But even he has two open balms right now. Oh well I'll find somewhere for it.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter - Pink Lemonade (2.55g full size approx value: $7.50) - Okay now this is the kind of stuff I was talking about. Pink lemonade is pink, therefore it's close enough to strawberry. And it smells yummy so I'm keeping it. This is easily my favorite item in the entire box. It's the only one I would not be okay with giving up. And I'd probably be willing to get this in more colors (flavors?) too. It's funny how I'm willing to pay over twice as much for half the amount of product (versus the lip balm above). This goes on very sheer (see swatch) so it's perfect for work.

Revlon ColorBurst swatch in Pink Lemonade


Revlon ColorStay 16-Hour Eye Shadow Quad - Sea Mist (0.16oz full size approx value: $7.50) - Revlon links their products to Drugstore.com so I'm using their prices. This product is supposedly new but arrived really dusty in the box. As long as it's not expired I guess.. I've recently learned to appreciate pressed powder (I was strictly a mineral powder person before because of the intense pigment) since it's so much cleaner, but I do not care for this particular quad. I can only see myself using the peach and possibly the blue. Purple and green will stay forever full. So sorry, no swatch because this will be rehomed.

NYX Roll On Shimmer - Sea Foam (1.5g full size value: $4.00) - Here is yet another item I received in my last Total Beauty collection. Two sea-themed eye shadows. I guess TB wanted to "illuminate" me by making my eyes look like the ocean. I've never used a roll-on shimmer and I don't plan to. Something tells me I'm not skilled enough in eye makeup application to pull this off correctly. I'll let someone else look seaworthy.


This grab bag racked in a value of about $49 which is way more than what I paid for it and even included 5 full size items, but it's not even close to the promised $65 value. I'm also disappointed that 3 of 8 items were repeat products. But based on other Illuminating Grab Bag reviews I've seen I think it really is that - a grab bag - meaning everybody gets something different. So maybe the warehouse just had a bunch of surplus items to get rid of and this was my luck of the draw. Unfortunately, the Revlon lip butter was the only thing that wowed me, but I like the CoTZ sunscreen as well and the Nelson j styling conditioner is something I'd like to try. And I'll be keeping the Alfaparf hair serum because I don't feel right handing off a leaky product to anyone. So yup, I'll only be holding on to half the items so this was a pretty meh haul for me. I hope the next collection has better stuff with no repeats!

Did you get a Total Beauty Grab Bag? Which one and what did kind of stuff did you get?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, smells like tea? Sounds good! This assortment seems well worth $16, but I can see how it would be a letdown. So many repeats, but I guess that's always a risk with grab bags. Good luck finding someone else to look seaworthy, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does smell good :) I think that's half the reason I'm keeping it since I already have 3 unopened bottles of hair detangler/protectors. October's just around the corner, I'm sure I can find someone who wants to be a beautiful mermaid for Halloween :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Meh is right! Hopefully they got rid of their excess stock with this round and they'll have some new stuff in their next collection.

      Delete