Monday, November 24, 2014

Ipsy Review - November 2014


OMIGOSH is this for real? Has Ipsy reached me in two weeks? Unbelievable! And here's another OMG-worthy tidbit: BIRCHBOX TOO! This has never ever happened before and I was pretty ecstatic to say the least. Especially around the Thanksgiving/holiday season.

What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extras: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.

November's theme was glittery. I like glitter in my nail polish and I thought I liked it in makeup as well until I found myself always giving away my glittery cosmetics. Subtle glitter eyeliners and slightly shimmery shadows are cool though. I don't like to peek at what I'm getting beforehand so I wasn't sure what to expect this month.

Nicole by OPI Nail Polish - Guys & Galaxies (0.5oz full size value: ~$7.00) - Nice one to kick off this Glam Bag. I once had a classic silver glittery nail polish from Julep and swapped it. Then I realized that I have 367,438 glitter polishes but not a single basic silver glitter one. So I will be keeping this for me, myself, and I. I haven't used it yet, but my past experiences with Nicole by OPI are positive so I'm getting good vibes about this one as well.

Tarte Maracuja Oil (0.23oz sample value: $6.20) - I think Tarte has some of the best packaging ever. It's colorful and I like colorful things. That's probably why kaleidoscopes were my favorite toy as a kid. I was a simple child. I still am. When I saw this my first reaction was *groan* not another oil! I've tried so many oils that I can't remember what kind works well and what doesn't. This one is pure maracuja oil and comes from the seeds of passion fruit, or lilikoi as I call it. But it smells nothing like lilikoi; it's nutty. Well obviously, since it's from seeds and all. Duh. I should think before I type. Anyway I used it since it's got the cutest button dropper dispenser. And I love it. Of course it's oily but it absorbs wonderfully. Tarte's primary way of using this oil on your face; supposedly it will hydrate and even out your complexion. Other uses are for hair, cuticles, and dry skin. The nutty smell lingers for a while though, so if you're sensitive to scents then you may not want to use it.

Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil - Ultra Orchid (0.08oz full size value: $17.00) -  And the purple haunting continues. It's a gorgeous sparkly color, just not for me. While I'm on the subject of colors, I thought orchid was more pinky than purpley? And wouldn't "ultra" mean intense? Like a fucshia or something? Oh well.
Ultra orchid aka purple
Starlooks has had glittery gem pencils for a while, but this is part of the NEW line of gem pencils debuting in Ipsy Glam Bags. They're all pretty (okay maybe not the olive one), but I just haven't found any color I can pull off other than black or brown. I have no idea how this performs because it will remain shrink wrapped until it gets transferred to someone more worthy of it than I. If you love this formula, you can check out more of what they have to offer by picking up their monthly subscription, Starbox.

SeaRx Micro-Dermabrasion Face & Body Scrub (0.3oz sample value: $2.70) - I really wish there was more scrub in here. It says 0.3oz but the tube was more than half empty from the get-go. I used it once for my face and I think there's about two uses left. If I had used it on my whole body as it suggests it'd be gone by now. I'm not quite sure if it worked because my face didn't look or feel any different afterwards, but I did feel the microbeads during so they must've been doing at least some scrubbing. On the plus side, the beads are very fine and didn't leave behind any redness on my face whatsoever. Plus it smells like grapefruit :)

Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Volume Shine Hairspray (1.5oz sample value: $1.50) - I remember the top 3 reasons why I stopped using hairspray back in the '90s: #1-those white flakes! #2-my hands got sticky every time they were wet and I ran them through my hair; #3-said hands would get stuck in my hair after one inch and leave a huge tangled bird's nest of a knot. Every hairspray I've gotten in a sub box has been instantly thrown in the swap pile. Then last week my coworker was talking about curling her hair and I thought that might be something fun to play around with since I have a total of three hairstyles for my straight hair: all down, ponytail, and half ponytail. Woopwoop, boring people represent. Of course, curling my hair will require a curling iron and some hairspray, both of which I don't have. Well I have one now. Yay, halfway there! This spray is supposed to give you extra volume with flexible hold without stickiness or flaking. Have hairsprays really come that far and everything I hated about them now fixed? .....Well, it smells a heck of a lot better. *wait several minutes* Yes! It's flexible AND not sticky! Oh, how I've been behind the times. I probably wouldn't trust this to hold up a beehive updo, but for loose curls it's perrrrrfect.

November Makeup Bag - This month's bag is designed by Forever 21. The first thing I like is that it's glittery plastic so the glitters won't fall off and make a mess. The next good thing is that the zipper's on the top so you don't get an inch of wasted space like you do with side-zip bags. The silver/pink combo is also very pretty. Plus the inside is lined with black nylon so you can't tell if your eye pencil accidentally marks up the inside. I approve.

This month's Ipsy bag rang in at $34 worth of cosmetics. I'm kind of bummed that I'll be giving away the highest valued item, but I like everything else so I'm still satisfied. :) I'm especially happy that the two things I was the least thrilled about (maracuja oil and hairspray) turned out to be my favorites! That's why these beauty subs are so great, you can find so many things you would've never bought for yourself. 

If you want to subscribe to Ipsy, use my link to sign up for an account. You always get a higher valued bag than what you paid. There's a waitlist for Glam Bags, but you can skip the wait by posting to Facebook and having a friend subscribe from your link.


Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

2 comments:

  1. The actual bag is very cute this time! I like the pencil, but in the photo it totes looks like a grapey purple, not turbo orchid or whatever nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like shiny grape in real life too. I think it's having an identity crisis. The bag is very nice though. If I didn't have so many lying around I'd definitely keep it.

      Delete