Thursday, December 18, 2014

Barkbox Unboxing - December 2014 + 10% Off A New Subscription!




Oh. Em. Gee. Barkbox has done it again. Before I begin, I feel like it's worth mentioning that of all the sub boxes I've tried, Barkbox is the only one that really truly delivers month after month. It's the very first box I subscribed to and I've never been disappointed in a single one. My dogs have loved every treat they've gotten (but that's not saying much because they think cardboard tastes good). Sometimes we'll get toys that are too adorable and fragile for my monsters' jaws, but Barkbox customer service is one of the most responsive and accommodating I've encountered. Ever. They'll let you pick out another toy for free, no questions asked. That's Scout's Honor. I love Scout.

What: Barkbox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups! This month Barkbox is donating to the Bark-N-Rest Retirement Center.

Very adorably festive paper, Barkbox. Win.
On to December's box. I figured Barkbox would do something Christmasy and they did not disappoint. I noticed that lately we've been getting more toys which I think is great. Before, there would always be at least one toy in a box, but sometimes you'd get three treats which isn't a bad thing, but if you only have one dog that treat pile can grow quickly. My dogs (especially the little one) lives for destroying toys, and more toys each month means that the bigger one no longer has to entertain himself with empty water bottles because his toys are all de-stuffed and dismembered.
December info card
Apparently all of the Barkpups were on Santa's nice list this year *scoff Pebbles scoff* so they all get to open a box full of goodies this Christmas. I was a bad dog mommy and didn't buy anything for them so I'll be using this as their Christmas present -- What? They wouldn't know the difference. I may have to find a new box to throw these presents in though; this morning I smooshed a cane spider with the actual Barkbox :(

Think!Dog BarkMade Yuletide Log (Barkvalue: $12) - A Barkbox exclusive. A totes adorbs exclusive. My dogs would go apeshit over this thing. I'm not sure if there's stuffing in here but there's something semi-rigid and cylindrical lining the inside of this log and when you squeeze it, it makes a bicycle horn type of honking sound. I can picture Pebbles trying to wrap her mouth around this. It's about 3" wide and if Pebbles really tries, her jaw can probably JUST fit around it. But knowing her it'll probably get stuck in her mouth because she can't open her jaw enough to drop it so she'll be running around honking this thing for hours, not by choice. (Okay I lie, she'd most likely honk it all day by choice anyway)


Primal Freeze-Dried Beef Liver Munchies (Barkvalue: $6) - This treat has one ingredient: beef liver. I love single-ingredient dog snacks because then I know my dogs aren't eating loads of processed crap (though I'm very hypocritical because I personally love my processed foods). When we first started training Macho, he'd only listen to commands if he knew he was getting freeze-dried liver as a reward. And I liked giving it out because it doesn't smell bad and is easy to break into tiny pieces, but it's so expensive. Eventually I had to stop buying them because they were breaking my wallet. He'll be so happy to see his puppyhood favorite back in the house! These treats are high in protein and grain/gluten free (obviously) and is suitable for both dogs and cats. Or if your pet hates freeze-dried stuff, you can add water to rehydrate it and pass it off as a meaty treat for your happy carnivore.

Etta Says! Crunchy Rabbit Chew (Barkvalue: $3) - I highly doubt this 7" stick costs $3 which is why I called it the Barkvalue, as Barkbox sometimes tends to inflate prices a bit. The first time my dogs tried rabbit was in the form of an Etta Says chew, and to my surprise they loved it. Well I shouldn't say I was surprised because they eat a.ny.thing. But rabbit was never one of the things I considered to be a normal part of my dogs' diet. Then again neither is alligator. Or shellfish. But thanks to Barkbox odd sources of food never come as a huge surprise to me anymore.

Planet Dog Orbee Tuff Bulb (Barkvalue: $13) - Omigosh this is the cutest light bulb I've ever seen. I can imagine Macho and Pebbles zigzagging away trying to chase its erratic bounce when we play fetch. I'm fairly certain this isn't intended to be a fetch toy because it's a pretty heavy thermoplastic rubber toy and would probably cause them to see stars if it ever hit them in the head, but as long as you throw it past them and not at them it's okay right? Besides, I'm sure Pebbles hurts herself more (and doesn't notice!) when she runs headfirst into the sliding door or fence at full speed. It smells minty, I think on purpose, because I guess dogs like minty stuff? I dunno, my weirdos don't. But it's also hollow so you can stuff it with your treat of choice if your dogs are like mine and don't mind working for their rewards. And here's a comforting tidbit: 2% of every sale funds Planet Dog Foundation, a group that trains, places, and supports working dogs.

Safemade Holiday Tartan Bandana (Barkvalue: $8) - Now isn't this cute. Unfortunately, when it comes to accessorizing, my dogs are pretty braindead. They can't wear clothes if their lives depended on it. They think anything that goes over their feet/body/head/neck is food. Or a bug. And suddenly getting it off of themselves becomes the most important thing in the world. But if your dog is normal then this would be a great addition to your furry buddy's holiday getup. It's a reversible bandana that would go great with a pair of antlers. If I ever sedate my dogs enough to take a pic of that I'll post it.

It'll be a very merry Christmas for my Barkpups indeed. Their present has $42 worth of holiday goodness that I'm sure will delight them well into the new year. I think both of the toys are super adorable and I already know my furbutts are fans of both treats. My only challenge will be to get them to wear the bandana. Too bad it's too late to make a Christmas card. Oh well, for next year maybe. I'm sensing a "nailed it" theme....

If you have an adventurous dog, treat your bff (best furry friend) to new goodies every month. Sign up here and receive 10% off your new subscription of any length! Sadly, it's too late to get this Christmas box, but I'm guessing the folks at Barkbox have a great New Year's themed box in the works :)


Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun box!! I love the bulb! You'll have to mention how they like it after Christmas. That log-thing sounds pretty awesome, too. I didn't save mine for Christmas. They'll get enough dropped food as it is and Bugsy will spend every moment trying to open everyone's presents. Yes. This year I'm going to get it on video. He knows how to open presents and run away with whatever is inside....
    I don't really like those rabbit chews because they are SO crunchy. They leave little flakes and then I have to vacuum. Although... I have to vacuum up fluff guts, too, so what am I even complaining about...
    Bah. How do you put stuff in the bulb? Is the bottom of it hollow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it's a hollow rubber bulb that I'll probably stuff with PB. Or fill up & freeze water in there if I want to be diabolical and watch the furballs lug that thing around. If you catch it on camera you gotta post it! I want to watch the chaos unfold!

      Delete