Monday, January 26, 2015

BarkBox Review - January 2015 + Get 10% Off A New Subscription




Behold, the return of the Ice Age! This month's BarkBox is full of winter fun. I'd like to partake in some winter fun for once; the extent of my snow experience involves making a 1' tall snowman out of old semi-slushy snow on the side of the road on the way to Mt. Charleston. And that only happened because I insisted the driver pull over so I could tell everybody back home that I got to play in snow. As far as witnessing a snowfall - that's still on my to-do list. Deprived child here.

What: BarkBox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each Barkbox goes to rescue groups! This month Barkbox is donating to the Bark-N-Rest Retirement Center.

Sorry I'm missing the usual info card photo. I was full of mixed feelings (you'll see why later) and snapping the card totally slipped my mind.

Delca Corp Adorable Snowman (Value: $9) - This has got the be the most adorable abominable snowman I've ever seen. And it's a Barkbox exclusive! I love that the past several boxes have all included a Barkbox exclusive that can't be found anywhere else. It makes getting a Barkbox that much more special! This snowman would not last a day with my dogs. I can't really bring myself to part with it either, so I think I'll add this to MY stuffed animal collection. The other option would be to take advantage of Scout's Honor which lets you pick out another equal-valued item more suited to Fido, but I already did that a couple of months ago and I don't want to be known as that dogmom who's never satisfied. So, mine you are!

Max & Ruffy's Blizzard Bites (Value: $5) - This is either the third or fourth time we've gotten Max & Ruffy's treats, and this company is probably my (and the furbutts') favorite treat brand ever. They're a Maryland-based company that makes 100% all natural organic treats using only human-grade ingredients. And folks, this means I can eat them! I always feel the need to taste test any human-grade dog treat. You know, for quality control purposes and stuff... Especially if they smell delish. And holy snowballs, these biscuits smell EXACTLY LIKE GINGERBREAD.
And just as I expected, the dogs LOVE IT. All caps, because that's how much they dig these little magical wafers (though it was kind of bland for my tastes). Plus these are also a Barkbox exclusive! Pebbles loved it so much she even played dead for it. Well, as much as she could with her brother sitting right there blocking her, anyway.
And Macho, well, um, he was so frozen with excitement that all he could think of doing was staring. The drool started soon after.

Lumpy bumpy Stix
Complete Natural Nutrition Off-Leash Stix (Value: $9) - Off-Leash makes meaty treats for those dogs who prefer meat over flour. Most of the treats we've gotten from this brand smell like mouth-watering beef jerky and the dogs have always gladly accepted them. Off-Least Stix are dental chews made for medium dogs (there's also Twigs for small dogs and Branches for large dogs). It's got sort of a bumpy texture to clean teeth and gums while dogs chew. Perfect timing because our vet just told us Macho has got a bit of tartar build-up on his teeth. Stix only come in turkey & pumpkin flavor which is a nice alternative for beef- or chicken-sensitive pups.

Dex & Penny Squeaky Icicle (Value: $11) - Ok so this is where the mixed feelings come in. I thought this toy looked a little..odd...but then I told myself to get my mind out of the gutter. I only read the info card now and saw that it's supposed to be an icicle. Oh? Anyway, I gave this to Pebbles to gnaw on (I guess you could smear peanut butter or something on it, but there isn't much space to stuff treats inside) and she had a freak poop accident. I washed it and threw it in the front yard so that the sun and sprinklers could hit it a few times before I washed it again. It was out there for a couple of days then C comes running to me exclaiming, "Heyyy why'd you put this in the front where everyone can see? What if the neighbors don't know it's a dog toy? What if they think it's something else?" Ha. So I wasn't the only one who thought it looked a bit weird for a dog toy. But at least The Pebz approves. And it's another BarkBox exclusive!

Heartland Premium The Dynamo Bone (Value: $4) - I need to get more of these types of chews. Femur, larynx, knuckles. You know, the gross ones. These are the only kind that can keep my dogs out of my hair for more than 15 minutes at a time. Plus I'm 110% sure they prefer bones and connective tissue over normal dog treats. This is a chunk of beef femur from Nebraska. It's not totally hollow, but I'm not so sure if that's marrow in there. Welp, I guess only the dogs will know because this is one thing I will not try.

Lately BarkBox has been pretty consistent in giving two toys per month. I can't complain because Pebbles wrecks toys just as fast so we're pretty much breaking even in the toy department. I think one of the reasons they're focusing more on dog toys is because customers used to remark that the boxes were pretty treat heavy. I agreed back then and welcomed the increase in toys, but now I want treats! Pebbles is a living garbage disposal and will polish off a bag of treats in 1/4 the time it takes Macho to finish one. Several months ago we had 15 extra bags of treats in the pantry. Now we're down to 2. Looks like I'll have to make my first dog treat purchase in over a year!

As far as box curation, BarkBox always does a pretty good job of sticking to the theme. Even the Off-Leash Stix fits because they look like tree branches in the winter. Not totally sure what's ice age-y about the beef femur but my dogs don't discriminate when it comes to chews. If you want to share in the surprise of opening a box of dog goodies for your furball each month, click here to start a subscription with BarkBox and get a ton of puppy kisses in return!


Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I agree on that Aborable Snowman! He is cute! He is also currently disemboweled at our house. I think Dexter hated that honking squeaker inside. We also got a woolly mammoth (oh, snap, I need to put up my review!) and the woolly mammoth has become Bugsy's baby. It still has it's squeaker and everything!
    I didn't realize the twigs for good for the teeth, i should give the boys one each since they need clean teeth. Ive never gotten those Max and Ruffy's treats and I think we need them! And omg, your mind is SO in the gutter. It didn't even occur to me until I read what you said... THEN my mind went straight to the gutter, too, and I had to giggle.
    Pebbles and Macho are so stinking cute! I'm pretty sure I need a Corgi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! An intact stuffed animal. Who woulda thought?! I hope Barkbox sends you some Max & Ruffy's ASAP...the strawberry and carob ones are the dogs' all-time favorite. I actually convinced myself that no, it doesn't look all that bad, and that's when my bf decided to change my mind again. Now it's confined to our backyard :( Not that it helps, because the neighbors can see into our yard from upstairs...

      Delete