Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Birchbox Review - January 2015

It's a new year, and with it comes new beauty choices. And Birchbox is all about new beauty finds, so let's see what January has in store!

What: Birchbox contains 4-6 samples of high-end beauty and lifestyle products
When: Ships on the 10th of each month
Cost: $10/month or $110/year upfront
Fun fact: Birchbox has an awesome points system where you can review products or make purchases from the Birchbox shop to earn points. Every 100 points gets you $10 credit in the BB shop.

Each month Birchbox lets you either choose one of your samples and have the rest remain a mystery, or you can opt for a guest editor box which is completely revealed. I wasn't really feeling any of the January sample choices so I went ahead and got my very first guest editor box - Relax and Recharge. 



Since I already saw what would be in the box it wasn't a total surprise, but I had forgotten what most of them were over the last few weeks so it was kinda like getting a mystery box anyway. 

January Birchbox info card
Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask (1oz sample value: $5.00) - I tried this hair mask before in an Ipsy Glam Bag and I actually kind of love it. It left my hair feeling soft without being greasy. Most conditioners/masks give me one or the other (or neither), never both. This mask is enriched with avocado, sweet almond oil, argan oil, and rosehip oil to leave hair hydrated as well as essential vitamins to keep it healthy and shiny.

When Travelmate Sheet Mask (Value: $7.00) - This is a hydrogel mask and I don't think the cheap side of me would let me cough up that much for a one-time use thing. That's why I have a love-hate relationship with these masks. They hurt my wallet, which is one of the reasons why I opted for this box. This mask alone almost makes up for the cost of the box. Not that I need more masks or anything. I have more than I know what to do with. I think I'm gonna start using masks on my entire body instead of just my face. Mud mask bath, perhaps?

Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream (0.2oz travel size value: $15.20) - I need to start using an eye cream. I think the last time my peepers have seen an eye cream was about 6 months ago, when I ran out of my last sample. So far I've been lucky and don't have wrinkles or dark circles under my eyes, but I guess preventive maintenance never hurts, right? Cocounut, rosehip, and carrot oils work to soften skin, and chamomile, cucumber oil, and witch hazel fight dark shadows. Plus hyaluronic acid adds a hydration boost. When you combine all these things you get something that smells like an herby orange that my skin sucks up right away. The only bad thing is that if this really does end up being WONDERful, I'll have to give up a kidney to pay for this. Okay it's not that bad. *sigh* I don't think I'll ever get used to the price of flawless skin.


Perlier Intensive Nurturing Body Balm - Shea Lavender (1oz travel size value: $4.25) - I got this before in a previous Birchbox. It works well as a moisturizer but smells way too strong. I like the smell of lavender, but this smells like lavender + baby powder, which alone is a bit much for me. Maybe the shea almond alternative will appeal more to my senses.

Manna Kadar  Lip Locked - All of Me (0.01oz sample value: $1.40) - This is another item I got in last month's Birchbox but in a different (but similar) color. This is a tint + gloss that got rave reviews, but I personally didn't care for it too much. It feels way too oily on my lips and while the tint does have some staying power, it's not enough to offset the oiliness. On the bright side, since it's oily it's not sticky whatsoever so you don't have to worry about your hair sticking to your mouth at the most inopportune times (e.g. when you're about to eat ice cream outdoors but instead catch a mouthful of ponytail when a breeze blows. I don't know about you but I love my ice cream and that totally ruins the moment).

Teapigs Tea Temples (2 tea bags: $1.30) - Since I don't drink coffee, I get my caffeine fix from tea. It's the only way I'm able to make it through the work day without knocking out and drooling all over my desk. Fortunately, I'm not a very picky tea drinker so I'm fine with pretty much any tea that comes my way, from traditional Earl Grey to funky rum-caramel flavors. These tea bags aka temples are a bonus item in the box. I'm pretty certain the Teapigs chamomile flowers variety will put me straight to sleep so that won't be able to stay with me at work. I am quite interested in the liquorice and peppermint, however. Especially since they used the fun spelling :D But as luck would have it, I just read the packaging and both are caffeine free. *sigh* Well it'll still be fun to try them anyway.
Update 1/29/15: LOVE the liquorice & peppermint flavor! First you get a blast of minty freshness followed by a very sweet aftertaste that I can only compare to drinking diet soda. It's weird because the sweet taste is the very reason I hate diet soda, but with the tea it just works. I think it's the peppermint that makes it tolerable. Plus Teapigs teabags contain whole leaf bits instead of ground up leaf dust which is why they're a bit on the expensive side. The teabag brand I normally buy also uses whole leaves and is a bit cheaper, but I haven't tasted anything with this level of complexity. Hmm......maybe my next Birchbox buy?

The Relax & Recharge guest editor box was pretty great, considering it had a $34 value (thank you, eye cream). I'm sure the lotion and lip tint can find great homes; they're great products, but it's just a personal preference thing. Besides, I knew I'd be getting them anyway so I can't be disappointed. If you want to sign up for a Birchbox, use my link and start discovering some awesome stuff!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions contained within this post are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment