Friday, January 23, 2015

Ipsy Glam Bag Unboxing & Review - January 2015


So far it's been a very busy new year, in case you haven't been able to tell from my lack of posts. I've actually had this Ipsy Glam Bag for over a week now and still haven't gotten around to trying out everything, thanks to a million get togethers and work. *sigh* work: new year = new issues requiring my immediate attention. Truth be told, I probably won't even finish this post in one sitting. Someone please add more hours to the day!

What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extras: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints, which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.

This month's Glam Bag theme is Fresh Start. Ha. I wish. You know how they say to start the year off right so that the rest of the year will follow suit? I think I should've gotten rid of the stack of unfinished work projects on my desk. Because now there's twice as much paper there, and we're only three weeks into the new year. I know. Woe is me woe is me!
So...fresh start. I hope Ipsy likes me better than work does.

Hey Honey Take It Off! Exfoliating Honey Peel Off Mask (10ml sample value: $7) - If you read my posts regularly then you know that I have a somewhat creepy attraction to peels. A peel fetish? I love seeing dead skin peel off my face/feet/whatever. As much as I'd like to say it's because I know I'm exposing the new radiant skin underneath, the real reason is just because I like to peel things. Morbid, right?  This is an AHA peel with a gel consistency. Smear it all over your face, wait 15 minutes, then go to town peeling it all off! Most peels I've tried have a weird chemical/glue-ish scent that's kind of a turn off, but not this one. It smells sooo refreshing. Not like honey like I expected, but more like crisp linen with a splash of citrus. My bf walked in on me just as I was peeling this stuff off my face and it was making that sickening skin peeling sound. I wish I had my camera on me at that moment. He made the ugliest face ever, like he thought I was Hannibal Lecter playing in other peoples' skin or something. The only downside: a full 1.7oz tube costs $35, and I cannot bring myself to pay that much for something that will only last me about 10 uses.

LA Fresh Eco-Beauty Good Day Day Moisturizer (0.5oz sample value: $12) - Wasabi. That's what I kept thinking the entire time I was massaging this into my face. I kept imagining rubbing hot mustard into my skin and was half expecting my eyes to start burning. This moisturizer contains hyaluronic acid, peptides, and a plethora of natural botanicals to give you fresh and happy skin. Unfortunately, I found it was too hydrating for me. Two hours later my face was still tacky. And I couldn't get past the smell. I love wasabi, just not in my cosmetics. And at the end of it all I was craving sushi. 


Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eye Shadow - Ethereal (0.08oz full size value: $5?) - I wish I used eye shadows more because this sounds so interesting. This shadow is infused with coconut water for a velvety, creamy finish. Plus it's vegan and cruelty-free. It's a nude color that I would totally use if I didn't already have a similar color in loose powder already open. 
Pacifica coconut eye shadow in Ethereal
Coastal Scents Liquid Eyeliner - Jet (0.203oz full size value: $3) - I have a love-hate relationship with liquid eyeliners. I love them because of the crisp, precise lines that stay put without smudging, but I hate them because, um, operator error. My hands are nowhere near steady enough to pull off liquid liner. I guess the only way to get better is practice, though...
Felt tip applicator for Coastal Scents liquid eyeliner
Velvet 59 Velvet Rose Lipgloss - Noisette (0.35oz travel size value: $13) - Love the nude cocoa color, hate the rose scent. I love glosses and I'd love to report on the consistency and color payoff of this one, especially since Velvet 59 is a new brand to me, but rose scents give me a headache. Actually, now that I'm looking at their website, I think Velvet 59 is a totally new brand. Their product pages are set up, but the only thing for sale at the moment are the lipglosses. And these are big lipglosses. I thought the size I got in my bag was pretty sizable, but the full size contains 0.5oz of gloss! Wowzers.

Makeup Bag - I love the bags that Ipsy has been sending out lately. This one is textured white one one side, blue on the other, with a salmon colored nylon interior. I'm glad that they haven't been giving us ugly gaudy designs, but now I'm keeping them all and they're piling up. Need to find stuff to put in bags...that shouldn't be too hard, right?

Overall, not bad! Over $35 worth of skincare and makeup plus a nice little bag. However, nothing in here elicited that ZOMG! I NEED THAT NOW OR ELSE MY HEAD WILL EXPLODE reaction from me, but aside from the weird-smelling items it was a pretty good haul. I just wish that peel was a little more within my price range. *sniff sniff* I would've loved to see the Malin+Goetz mojito lip balm in here because MOJITO (you can read all about the balm in Subaholic's blog...she's got some informative reviews and photos). Who doesn't love a little bit of sugar, mint and rum in their lives? But then again, not getting it might be a good thing because I already have enough lip balms to last me three lifetimes.

If you want to subscribe to Ipsy, please use my link to sign up for an account! Glam bags always have a fantastic value for just $10. There's most likely a wait list, but if you don't want to wait a few weeks, you can get off the list by posting to Facebook and having a friend subscribe from your link. It's that easy!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

4 comments:

  1. I got everything you did except I didn't get the Hey, Honey which I really like! I totally agree with the satisfaction levels that peeling off this mask gives. My little tube (from before) is already gone :*(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wonder if we should be worried hat we find peels so oddly satisfying?

      Delete
  2. I really like your variation of this month's glam bag too! Wish I can have it all.

    This month's bag is definitely cuter than last month's. It reminds me of this specific contemporary art style that I can't think of right now, but much better than last month's bag design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it better too. Last month's wasn't too bad, but I definitely prefer solid colors over sparkles

      Delete