Monday, February 23, 2015

Birchbox Unboxing - February 2015

I'm glad the West Coast port negotiations aren't affecting domestic oversea shipments because my February Birchbox would definitely come in March if that were the case. But to my surprise it arrived even earlier than usual...in 11 days! Alllmost the timeframe that one would expect. 

What: Birchbox contains 4-6 samples of high-end beauty and lifestyle products
When: Ships on the 10th of each month
Cost: $10/month or $110/year upfront
Fun fact: Birchbox has an awesome points system where you can review products or make purchases from the Birchbox shop to earn points. Every 100 points gets you $10 credit in the BB shop.


I didn't like any of the February sample choices so I opted to go with the guest editor box again. February's guest curator is Rent the Runway and the box's theme is "It's All in the Details," as in beauty accessories and products that set you apart from the crowd. I knew what was going to be in here when I picked it but of course I didn't remember a single thing by the time it arrived so it was pretty much a mystery box anyway.

Info card for the February Rent the Runway Birchbox
Something had leaked enroute and everything in the box was a bit slimy because of it, but I didn't see cracked bottles or anything so it wasn't a huge deal.
Oh noes! Leaky bottle somewhere :(
Not Soap, Radio Body Wash - The Stuff that Cupid dips his arrows in (1.5oz sample value: $1.75) - This was the source of the sticky goo. And I'm a little sad because now I remember that this was the only reason why I chose the guest editor box this month - I love blackberry-vanilla scents, and this does an exceptional job at smelling like it! The cap wasn't on well and about a fourth of the bottle spilled and was making everything else sticky. But it's not worth complaining to Birchbox about; I already have way more body wash than I'll ever need, and I still have the majority of this so it's no biggie. On the bright side, everything in the box smells delicious now :)

Fekkai Blowout Hair Refresher Dry Shampoo (1.7oz sample value: $7.00) - Lots of people love dry shampoos but I don't use them. For one, I always forget that I have a couple of cans stashed in my drawer. But more importantly, I don't think they work. Dry shampoos are supposed to absorb excess oil and give hair volume, but every one I've tried so far only made my hair feel greasier so I end up washing it anyway. I think this might smell like hairspray, but I'm not sure because I'm not going to try it. The outside of the can smells like blackberry-vanilla though, thanks to the leaky body wash :D

Derma e Anti-Wrinkle Vitamin A Glycolic Scrub (1oz sample size value: $3.20) - I love scrubs, but like with body washes, I have more scrubs than I need to last me a lifetime. Especially for something you're only supposed to use a couple of times a week. There's no way I'm going to use up all of them by the time they expire so I may have to clean out my scrub stash. I want to use this one though because it's formulated for normal to oily skin which is what I have. Maybe this will go to the front of the line. But on the other hand it doesn't expire for another three years so maybe I'll hold off on it...... Spoiled girl problems.

Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner - Raina (0.024oz sample value: $4.40) - Raina is a navy blue color. Funny, because I never picture dark blue when I see my friend Raina. Yeah. Anyway. Believe it or not, I don't think I own any navy blue eyeliner. Well, none that actually look blue. I did get one from Julep but it looked black to me no matter how I looked at it. I hope this one looks blue because I can definitely use one in my collection. And since blue is not something I intend to wear daily, this one-third size sample is perfect.

theBalm Read My Lips Lip Gloss - BAM! (rose pink) (0.08oz sample size value: $5.75) - Yet another thing I have too much of. I've never tried a lip gloss from theBalm cosmetics, but this one is a very pretty light pink. Supposedly it's not sticky, but that's what all glosses say and I haven't encountered any that my hair isn't immediately attracted to (except for Manna Kadar Lip Locked, but that's way too oily for my liking). Enriched with ginseng, this gloss delivers a dose of antioxidants along with intense color and shine. In my experience ultra-shiny = ultra-sticky. You can't have one without the other.

Nothing incredibly exciting in this box, but it's a nice variety of skincare, makeup, and body and haircare. Plus these are all pretty useful things. Unfortunately, the dry shampoo will have to go because I just don't use it enough. The lip gloss too because I already have fifty shades of pink. But everything else can find a home in my bathroom. Yay for collecting everything! (I'm born in the year of the rat so I feel like it's my sworn duty to become a pack rat :] )

Birchbox currently has a special until this Thursday, 2/26: spend $35 on February products and get 50 bonus points with BUY35EXTRA50!  If you want to sign up for a Birchbox, use my link and start finding some great beauty products. The shop has tons of stuff spanning home and foodstuff, so have a look!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions contained within this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Batiste dry shampoo? That's my favorite, and it really does absorb excess oil. I've tried a bunch through beauty boxes that didn't do squat or made my hair feel weird (like the Fekkai one you got this time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I think I have to check that one out. I often get home late and don't like washing my hair on those days because it takes FOREVER to dry. A dry shampoo that actually does what it says would be a lifesaver. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete