Wednesday, March 18, 2015

BarkBox Review - March 2015 + Get A Free Box!

Like clockwork, our Barkbox arrived on the 16th of the month. This is probably one of the most reliable subscription services I have ever encountered. From shipping to the quality of items, I'm never disappointed.

What: BarkBox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each BarkBox goes to rescue groups!



I had no idea what kind of theme to expect for March. I was thinking something relating to St. Patrick's Day, maybe dog beer or beer biscuits. Not real beer, of course -- have you seen the way they drink water?! I wouldn't let my dog waste a single drop of my beer.
But it looks like I was wrong. With spring just around the corner, instead of celebrating St. Patty's Day BarkBox chose to embrace the coming of warm weather and celebrate Island Paradise. While Barkbeard may have buried his treasure somewhere on a deserted island, Barkpups can have it mailed directly to their homes. In the words of my lazy fuzzybutts: Yay for humans doing all the work!
Etta Says! Bison Chew (Value: $3) - We are no stranger to this brand, but bison is something new to us. At least I think it is. BarkBox has introduced us to so many different types of meat that I can't even remember what the dogs have eaten before. Bad dog mom. These seem to have replaced the Barkworthies bully sticks as being the constant in each box. I think I preferred the bully sticks though; they last longer. I still have a hard time believing it's $3 for one. According to Amazon it should only be a dollar and some change.

SafeMade Pineapple (Value: $10) - A BarkBox exclusive! And a crinkly one at that. The dogs love crinkly toys. Sometimes I think they take after me; I like shiny and crinkly things. It doesn't take much to keep me happy. Candy wrappers are a total win. This pineapple isn't shiny, but it's crinkly enough to make the puppies happy. Plus there are SEVEN SQUEAKERS in here! If this doesn't make the dogs love me forever I don't know what will. The tag describes it well: "Tropical fun with a party of squeakers!" Party is right. It doesn't matter if no one else is invited to that party; Macho and Pebbles don't care. There's no double stitching on the seams so it'll most likely rip within the first 5 minutes of meeting the poopers' jaws. I'm imagining the craziness and fights that will ensue once I hand this pineapple to them. *sigh* I guess I shall hold off on that.

Grandma Bowser's Mai Tai Mango Passion Biscuits (Value: $6) - We've received several bags of Grandma Bowser's cookies in past boxes. The dogs have liked them all, but it's nothing they go nuts over. I think it's partly due to how hard the cookies are. It's a little hard to break them in half and it takes some gnawing for the dogs to crumble them into bite-sized pieces. I don't think I'd buy this on my own, but the dogs will definitely eat up whatever's in this bag. Not to mention I'll find out if the dogs like mango passion.
Close up of Grandma Bowser's Mai Tai Mango Passion biscuits
BarkMade Message In A Bottle (Value: $13) - If you have dogs I hope they're smarter than mine because my two clowns still haven't figured out how to squeak this bottle. The bottle itself is a squeaker (if you look closely you can see the tube part attached to the base of the bottle). The message inside multiplies the cuteness factor by 10. This bottle is another Barkbox exclusive and is made out of thermoplastic rubber which is what I prefer our toys to be made of because it's dishwasher safe and sturdy (though Pebbles has somehow managed to chew through a couple of our TPR toys :[ ).
My mommy made me balance this bottle for a whole minute before letting me have it.
She is evil.
Yeti Corp Golden Nuggets (Value: $8) - These have the same ingredients as Himalayan chews (cow milk, yak milk, lime juice), but for some reason these need to be warmed up prior to consumption. I've never given Himalayan chews to my dogs because they're so friggin expensive but I don't think they require any preparation (correct me if I'm wrong). However, these particular nuggets expand with heat. Barkbox made sure we knew that. In addition to the instructions on the package to warm this up before giving it to your dog, Barkbox reminded us on the info card AND sent an email to subscribers with heating instructions. If your dog eats it "raw" I guess it can grow with just the heat of their body temperature and may cause blockages. Or something.
When you warm it up it expands to almost twice the size and takes on a hard cracker-like texture.
I decided to let Pebbles be the guinea pig. She was happy to be one.
I want treat. I sploot for you. And drool too.
Treat me or I'll fling this at yo' face!
It was really crunchy and she thoroughly enjoyed every bite, but she paid for it by getting the runs. Not entirely sure if it was because of this nugget, but it's the only new thing she ate. Unless she found an anole in the yard or something. Because she'd totally eat that.

As usual, Barkbox did a fantastic job of curation. Almost every single item has something to do with treasure in paradise. It had a Barkvalue of $40 which is one of the higher valued boxes we've received to date. I'm laughing because it's been two days and the bozos are still trying to figure out how to squeak the bottle (seriously, they can figure out how to open their kennel door but can't make the bottle squeak??). I'm still debating whether to keep the Himalayan nuggets because of their inner plumbing issues (sad face), and I have yet to decide if I want to chance them destroying the pineapple. But I do like that we've been getting two toys in every Barkbox. We can never have enough toys; they *ahem, Pebbles* destroys them faster than we can replace them. Maybe a rope toy would be good. She shreds them too, but at least it takes her a couple days to do so.

Are you sad because your pup didn't experience Spoiled Dog Syndrome this month? Don't fret, humans! You can sign up here for as low as $18/month -- and get a free box tacked on to your subscription just for using my link! And if you and your pup are feeling especially selfless, you can even have BarkBox donate your free box to a shelter dog. This month all donated boxes are going to Eleventh Hour Rescue, a non-profit that saves dogs and cats from unnecessary euthanization.

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I loved this review! And omg... 7 squeakers?!?! Bugsy is going to faint with delirious happiness! I wonder if they want you to cook the Himalaya chews because they're so small? I've given the regular size chews to my boys and they lasted a LONG time. Way longer than a bully stick. I dont remember their gut reactions, though. I'm pretty sure I just don't buy them because they're ridiculously expensive. But you can put the big ones in the microwave, too. I didnt do it because then it's super easy to eat and didn't keep them occupied long enough.

    And now I'm going to have to try to get Bugsy to do the paw trick. What do you call it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, if I don't have to microwave it I'd much rather give it to them as is. Especially if it'll last longer. Anything to prolong its longevity! I have no idea what it's called...I call it paw trick too. Supposedly you the the paw trick is easier so you work your way up from that to holding it on their nose. Next I wanna get them to hold it in their mouth without eating it. I honestly think I'll never succeed.

      Delete