Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ipsy Unboxing - March 2015

I really like how Ipsy's timeliness has been on point as of late. What used to take three weeks now only takes one. Happy dance! I also like surprises so I resist the urge to peek at my bag each month. This month I was especially good and didn't even look at the spoilers so I had no idea what the theme was or what brands I might get. Turns out this month is about Flower Power, you know, with spring just around the corner and all. But according to my allergies spring started two weeks ago.

What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extras: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints, which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.
Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer - Medium shade (0.13oz value: $10) - Two things I noticed when I first used this cream concealer: 1) the medium color is a shade too light for my skin, and 2) all you need is a teeeeensy bit to cover up a blemish. Here, I swatched it for you (and ended up covering a 2" square area with that amount):
Sorry you can't see much of anything; that blemish looked so much darker in person
But the staying power is there. I washed my hands about 10 times since that swatch and I still see some concealer in my skin lines.

NYX Cosmetics Butter Lipstick - Hunk (0.16oz full size value: $6) - Subscribers could have gotten one of three shades: Hunk (purply merlot), Little Susie (dark pink), or Pops (nudish mauve). Of course I got the purple one. I've read that this color starts off pretty sheer, but that's up to one's own interpretation. I think I'd much prefer Pops.

Vintage Illuminating Face Highligher - Crystal Pink (0.07oz sample value: $13?) - If you like pink highlighters I guess this is the way to go. It's supposed to go well with pink and coral blushes. This looks like half-size (full size goes for $26 on the Vintage website), which is generous considering how long it takes me to go through highlighters. However, I have golden undertones so I'm not sure if I'm talented enough to make this work for me.
Here, this shot is truer to color than the above one

Pur-lisse Pur-delicate Soy Milk Cleanser and Makeup Remover (1oz travel size value: $6.40) - Remember when Purlisse made its way through sub boxes with their sunscreen and moisturizer? Well, they're back. This time with facial cleanser. Not just any facial cleanser; 4-in-1 facial cleanser. 1. It washes your face without drying it out; 2. It removes makeup; 2. It calms and soothes skin with white tea; and 4. Blue lotus extract makes skin soft and supple. I have enough cleansers to last the next three years so I think I'll pass this along to someone who needs it more than I do.

Dr. Brandt Pores No More Anti-Aging Mattifying Lotion (0.25oz sample value: $8.80) - Fight fine lines with Dr. Brandt's oil-free lotion packed with apple stem cells and retinol to maintain cell activity and stimulate cell turnover. And oily-skinned people, rejoice - this guy won a 2013 Allure Best of Beauty award for "Best Facial Moisturizer for Oily Skin." I think I'd be more excited about this if I didn't already have a billion anti-aging lotions waiting to be opened. But that award does make it sound a bit more appealing...

The Bag - Meh. Very fitting for the Flower Power theme, but it's too busy for my liking. I like boring. Besides, I'm not a floral person to begin with; if anything I like cartoon drawings. Maybe cartoon flowers would do:
Or better yet, cartoon flowers with feelings: 


So the verdict - a resounding WOMP WOMP. This bag was a dud for me. I had shade issues with three of the items, and the other two were okay but not exciting enough to make me want to keep them. If I didn't already swatch the concealer I'd be finding new homes for everything. But hey that's the name of the game when you get mystery bags, right?

If you want to subscribe to Ipsy click here to get on the wait list! You won't be charged for your first bag until you get off the list. And for $10 you really can't beat the value, especially when everything you get is a deluxe sample or bigger. Not every bag will be a hit as you can tell from this review, but it evens out over a few months. If you like exploring makeup and skincare, you've got nothing to lose!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Is it just me or is "Boo-Boo Cover-Up" a ridiculous name for a product intended for adults? Sounds like it should be a brand of children's bandages or something.

    ReplyDelete