Monday, April 6, 2015

Birchbox Review - March 2015

April fools was last week so naturally I was on the lookout for pranks all day. When I checked on the tracking for Birchbox (because it was already April and I still hadn't received March's box) and it said Delivered I thought it was a joke because I had gone prank-free all day and was due for one. But nope, I got home and there it was waiting for me!

What: Birchbox contains 4-6 samples of high-end beauty and lifestyle products
When: Ships on the 10th of each month
Cost: $10/month or $110/year upfront
Fun fact: Birchbox has an awesome points system where you can review products or make purchases from the Birchbox shop to earn points. Every 100 points gets you $10 credit in the BB shop.


March's theme is about feeling creative. I'm not sure I'd actually call myself creative (especially when it comes to beauty) because I get all of my ideas from recipes and Pinterest, but oh well, as long as I feel like I am. :) For this month's sample pick I decided to go with the It's A 10 Miracle Leave-in Product since nothing else really appealed to me. However - and I guess this is where the April fools part comes in - it wasn't in my box. I don't remember what the other choices were so maybe I got one of those instead? Anyway, here's what I got:



Macadamia Professional Nourishing Moisture Masque (2oz sample value: $9.00) - This is a cruelty-free hair mask that will reconstruct, revitalize, and repair hair. It's a pretty sizable sample, but then again I have long hair and lots of it so it'll probably last me 2-3 uses. I love it when companies take into consideration that the samples they send out should last long enough for you to determine whether or not it works. The key ingredients in here are macadamia oil (duh) and argan oil to promote shine and to strengthen hair. I keep forgetting to use my hair masks because they're not something I keep in the shower and use everyday, but this one smells soooo good that I don't think I could forget about it!

Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo Spray (1.2oz travel size: $6.00) - Blah. Dry shampoo. I heard decent things about this brand but it's still dry shampoo. My hair doesn't feel or look any less greasy after using dry shampoo so I just stopped using them. On the plus side, this one has a citrus scent. Mmm...I like oranges.

Roloxin Lift Revitalizing Facial Treatment (2 foil samples - $22 ?!?) - Foils. But in their defense, this mask only comes in a foil. And at least we got two. But holy crap that price though! How the heck? I honestly don't know how a company can stay in business when it costs $11 for 0.12oz of a product. But somehow they won Allure's Breakthrough award for 2014. I'm not sure what makes it different from any other skin smoother that claims to reduce the look of wrinkles and pores, but I hope it's made out of gold. I followed the instructions on the packet and I'll admit that it did brighten my face a bit (more than other "brighteners" anyway) but definitely not $11 worth. My face had better look like a freakin' light bulb if I'm gonna pay that much.

derma e Evenly Radiant Brightening Day Creme SPF 15 (0.5oz sample value: $7.00) - I can already tell I won't be using this anytime soon. This is a highly moisturizing cream that blocks UV rays. evens skin tone, and brightens your complexion. Supposedly it's a lightweight cream but I've learned not to trust that word anymore. I've tried all these "lightweight" products that end up making my face greasy after using less then half the suggested amount. I'm sure it's a great product, just not for my skin type. Plus it smells...chalky?

Benefit Watt's Up! Highlighter (2.5g sample size: $8.00) - I think I was happiest to see this in my box. I've been wanting to try Benefit's Watt's Up for months now but just never got around to picking it up. This highlighter stick has a champagne shimmer that I now realize is way too shiny for me. I always thought I liked shimmer; lately I'm finding out that no, shiny doesn't suit me well. I prefer matte. My face has been uber oily lately and dewy just magnifies my oiliness. So, I'm happy to see this, sad I won't use it. It's such a nice size too.

I think this was the highest valued Birchbox I've ever gotten ($52!) although I highly doubt the Roloxin is really worth $22. The hair mask ended up being the winner of this box mostly because I can't stop smelling it. Seriously, it smells THAT good. If you want to sign up for a Birchbox, please use my link and start discovering some sweet beauty finds!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions contained within this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Watts Up is pretty shiny... maybe use it as a browbone highlight? I got Roloxin in my box too and still haven't gotten around to trying it. If I love it it's not like I would actually be able to afford it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm not sure I can bring myself to wash $11 off my face after only 7 minutes. I feel like for that price we should hang out a bit, maybe do a mall run, gray face and all. Even if I did love it, unless it had a side effect of growing money out of my nostrils I probably wouldn't buy it in the future.

      Delete