Friday, April 17, 2015

Ipsy Unboxing & Review - April 2015

It's always a fun day when my Ipsy Glam Bag arrives in the mail. I try to refrain from peeking on reveal day so I can feel like I'm opening a present each month. :) Like last month, I avoided looking at the spoilers (okay I may have looked at the first one but I didn't remember what it was) so I didn't even know what theme to expect.

What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extras: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints, which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.

Turns out April's theme is "Beautifully Bohemian." I'm guessing there will be some indie brands in here. I've learned that there are SO many cosmetics companies out there that I've never heard of, and many of them make fantastic cruelty-free and/or vegan products. I'm hoping to discover some new favorites this month.
Theorie Argan Oil Ultimate Reform Hair Serum (0.34oz sample value: $4.20) - I cracked open this bottle and the first thing that I noticed is that it smells a lot like Shara Shara's Bee Tox Spot Cream for blemishes. But with a totally different purpose, of course. The scent is slightly medicinal but fresh at the same time. The closest thing I can think of is the crisp smell of the woods. This is a dropper bottle but the oil didn't seem to want to come out so I ended up removing the dropper piece altogether. No biggie. I've never met an argan oil I didn't like, and this is no exception. The smell might be a tad bit strong for me, but it tames the frizzies and adds shine just fine. Plus it's free of mineral oil, paraffin oil, petroleum, and propylene glycol products.

Hikari Blush - Tango (0.21oz full size value: $15) - Tango was the only shade Ipsy sent out in April's glam bags. Despite the implication of a "tangerine tango" color, this is actually quite pink as shown in the photo below. I love the packaging - it's a sturdy case with a see-through window on the front. However, I'm not sure if this is very pigmented or not since I'm not planning on using it (I already have tons of blush, and it's just not something I go through quickly).


theBalm Cosmetics NUDE Dude Eyeshadow - Fit (1g mini value: $3) - theBalm likes to send their sample singles in a cute booklet-style container with a magnetic closure. I'm a sucker for cute packaging and theirs is definitely a win. The NUDE Dude palette contains 12 nudes that are shimmery for the most part. The color Fit is a shimmery copper that looks a lot lighter and a lot shinier on the skin. Since this is pretty close to my natural skin color, I'll probably use it on days that I want a bit of sparkle without all the color.
NUDE Dude Volume 2 Palette
Starlooks Satin Finish Lip Gloss - Cuddle (sample value: $5?) - I love lip glosses and think this is a beautiful color - pink with a smidge of orange to tone it down so that your lips will still look natural with it on, and the microglitter adds a bit of sparkle and shine. I would love to try this out; unfortunately I have close to zero restraint when it comes to opening new glosses and I have about 30 open at the moment. And 27 of them are some variation of pink. It looks like about a 1/3 size which is really good because I take forever to go through glosses since I keep opening new ones! I'm trying extremely hard to leave this one unopened...the shrink wrap around the tube helps a bit with that. Thank you, shrink wrap.

Mullein & Sparrow Tinted Lip & Cheek Balm (0.25oz full size value: $10) - Yay, a new company for me! This is a handmade vegan lip/cheek tint with a boysenberry color. I think this is the first time Ipsy has sent me two lip products in a bag. I normally love lip balms, but am having a bit of trouble loving this because the shea butter scent is so strong. I guess I can't really complain though, because during my lip balm-making phase, I found it pretty difficult to mask the shea butter smell. I know quite a few people don't care for lip balm pots for sanitary reasons, but I still think they're cute. And it holds twice as much as a typical stick. I haven't used this yet either, although it's getting super hard to resist since the pot isn't sealed as a deterrent. I think I'm gonna take a closer look at this company though...their website is full of handmade face and body care products in super adorable packaging.

The Bag - I think April's makeup bag suits the theme rather well. Unlike most Ipsy bags, this one is woven and feels "natural." It's very pretty; unfortunately, the rainbow of colors is a bit too much for plain ol' boring me. If it weren't for that I'd be alllll over this. 

Well, I think it's safe to say that I'm much happier with this month's Ipsy surprise than last month (Yay)! The only downside was that the blush was a tad too bright for my taste; everything else was spot on as far as color preference. A couple items had strong scents that were a bit much for me to take in but they weren't deal breakers.

If you like opening presents like I do, I highly recommend subscribing to Ipsy Glam Bag. Especially if you're into makeup and beauty. Click here to get on the wait list! You won't be charged for your first bag until you get off the list which usually takes several weeks, but for $10 you really can't beat the value, especially when everything you get is a deluxe sample or bigger :)

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment