Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Walmart Beauty Box Unboxing - Spring 2015

It's a new season and that means a new Walmart Beauty Box! This is actually one of my favorite boxes, not because it has the best products ever (because it doesn't), but because it has AFFORDABLE brands that you can find in your local drugstore or mass retailer. You won't find $20 shampoos or hand lotions made of gold in here. If you're just looking for products that get the job done without the bells and whistles, this is your box. And it's really worth the $5 you pay for it. I'm cheap and not ashamed to admit it.

What: Walmart Beauty Box contains samples of beauty products from major drugstore brands
When: Ships once a season (March, June, September, and December)
Cost: The box itself is free, but there is a flat $5 shipping fee


With spring upon us, I was expecting to see less of the heavy moisturizers and more light floral scents. And definitely a perfume of some sort...
Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Omega Repair & Moisture Shampoo /Conditioner (1.7oz travel size value: $1.75) - Whew, that's a mouthful. This duo is designed with damaged, depleted hair in mind. It nourishes hair with omega oil without weighing it down. The shampoo smells kind of funky, like an oily perfume. The conditioner smells like a bouquet of flowers dipped in baby powder. It's not bad, but just not my style. Floral scents usually make me gag, but it is in line with the spring and flowers thing and all so I can't complain.

Lady Gaga Fame Eau De Parfum (0.04oz vial approx value: $0.40) - The full size of this perfume was drastically marked down from $80 to $31 on Walmart.com. I'm not quite sure what to make of that. My guess is the black color of the fluid might have something to do with it. Looks edgy and mysterious. But then again, I'd expect nothing less from Lady Gaga. Supposedly it's a high tech fluid that's "black like the soul of fame, but invisible once airborne." The packaging does a really good job of keeping the scent in the atomizer so I have no idea what it smells like, but judging by the description I don't think I'd be a fan: "Tears of belladonna, crushed heart of tiger orchidea with a black veil of incense, pulverized apricot, and the combinative ssences of saffron and honey drops." Floral and incense are two things I don't care for in perfumes, and by the way isn't belladonna poisonous?

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Boosters Facial Cleanser (0.5oz sample value: $0.40) - Okay, so I see Neutrogena allllll over the place but I can't remember ever buying something. I honestly don't think I've ever tried a Neutrogena anything before. Am I missing out? Only one way to find out. So sure, I'll try this. It's infused with white tea and vitamin E and claims to boost softness, evenness, and radiance. For me cleansers are one of those things where I have yet to find one that I neeeeeeeeed in order to survive; I pretty much just buy them based on how they smell. So I'm gonna go into this with no expectations. But it's starting on a positive note - this smells good :)

Dove Go Fresh Revitalize Body Wash (1.8oz travel size: $0.50) - Our household is no stranger to Dove body washes. My bf has dry, sensitive skin and he had a phase where he bought every single body wash they had at Target. Dove made his Top 5 list based on price and efficacy. I'd give him this one to try but I don't think he'd be a fan of the mandarin orange/tiare flower scent. I am though, so this is going straight to me!

Rimmel Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara - Black (0.33oz full size value: $8) - I'm still on the hunt for the perfect mascara that will actually hold a curl. So far my favorite has been from Buxom, with Benefit's They're Real mascara coming in a close second, though neither will hold the curl for long. Darn hooded lids and stubborn lashes. I tend to gravitate toward rubber bristles because I feel like they clump less. Not sure what kind of brush this has. I still have to finish about 5 tubes before opening this one, but the Grow-Lash technology makes me giggle. Apparently your lashes can look up to 126% longer after 30 days. Why 30 days? Maybe it literally makes your lashes grow? And I'm really not sure I'd want my lashes to look 126% longer anyway. Can you imagine me walking down the street sans-makeup and my lashes, which naturally point downward, are totally covering my eyes? Creepy.

There was also a plethora of coupons and foil samples in the box. Most of them are for $2.00 off of something - lotion, foundation, hair care, etc. Pretty good if you already have your eye on one of those products.

So there you have it. The Walmart Spring Beauty Box came in with a value of just over $11. Seeing as how the mascara was the only full-sized product in here and was worth more than the cost of the box itself, it either makes or breaks it. For me I'm happy because I'm always open to trying new mascaras. Everything else I could do without, though I do think the lotion smells nice. The box is technically free so it's actually a really good value (the $5 charge is for shipping, which is reasonable considering the box weighs just under a pound).

If you want to explore affordable drugstore brands, sign up here to get a free box shipped to your doorstep at the beginning of each season. I think they still have Spring Boxes available, so pick one up if you're interested! If you're expecting, there's also a Baby Box catered to your pregnancy stage (1st, 2nd, 3rd trimester). If you decide to pick up a Baby Box let me know how you like it!

Note: All opinions contained within this post are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment