Sunday, May 17, 2015

BarkBox Review - May 2015

BarkBox day is probably my favorite sub box day of the month. For reals. I think I'm just as excited as my dogs to see what's inside. Plus my little monsters go through everything in the box each month and it's nice to not have to make a trip to the pet store (it's also nice to save a few bucks with a sub box :]). 

What: BarkBox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each BarkBox goes to rescue groups!

Looks like BarkBox has special paper this month in honor of the Garden Pawty theme. Spring is in full swing and the pups can once again run through the garden. CAN YOU DIG IT? Just don't dig up the plants. I'm talking to you, Macho & Pebbles.


May BarkBox info card

R2P Silly Bums Bumblebee (Value: $7) - Something silly and fun to start off the garden box. A bee! Or half of one. Silly Bums is a line of R2P Pet specializing in, you guessed it, butts. They have lots of animal halves and I can't stop giggling. The baboon one made a round through BarkBox several months back but I missed out on it so I'm happy to get a bee for spring! This one in the box isn't exactly like the one I linked to above, but I think it's even cuter! This one was designed for BarkBox and has wings (the one on the Silly Bums website doesn't). The top of the bee is soft plastic but I'm not sure why. I guess it makes it more puncture-resistant, but my dogs will totally chomp right through it. Then they'll try to eat the plastic layer because they're not that bright. Brownie points: this toy also crinkles! My furries love crinkly toys just as much as they love squeakies.

West Paw Design Zogoflex Bumi Tug Toy (Value: $12) - After receiving 22 BarkBoxes, we have finally gotten our first repeat toy. We got the blue Bumi well over a year ago and Macho was all over it for the first couple of days then he just kind of lost interest in it. I figured it was because he preferred squeaky toys, so when Pebbles joined us I expected her to go nuts over it since she'll play with anything. Sadly though, she didn't care too much for it either. They'll play tug of war with it sometimes, but they like their rope toys better. I'm kind of *sad face* now because this is something that Pebbles can't destroy easily (plus it floats!), but she won't play with it :( Well maybe she would if I took away all of her squeaky toys, but I'm not that mean of a dog mama. Yet.

Twiggy's Cupcake Diet Dogs Love Kale Apple Crisp (Value: $7) - If I haven't said it before, I'm not ashamed to admit that my dogs eat healthier than me. Twiggy's Cupcakes started out making healthy(ier) human cupcakes and branched off into the Dogs Love Kale line after seeing how much the co-owners' dogs loved kale. Dogs Love Kale has 5 yummy flavors and we get to try Apple Crisp this month. Of course both dogs gobbled it up happily. I guess they like to eat healthy :)
Dogs Love Kale flavors
Nooties No Grainers Jerky Chews - Hickory Bacon (Value: $4) - We're no strangers to No Grainers jerky chews, but I can't remember if the dogs have tried the hickory bacon flavor before. They probably did. And they must have loved it because I only remember the flavors they don't care for so I know not to get it again. These are small 2" sticks so they're perfect as bedtime treats :)

Etta Says Crunchy Turkey Chews (Value: $3...but probably less) - We get one of these Etta Says sticks in every box and, though very overpriced per the Barkvalue, the dogs love 'em. We've gotten a variety of flavors and each one has been quickly devoured; they don't last two minutes around here :(. Turkey is one of the more "normal" protein sources that we've received and this will be thoroughly enjoyed by whichever pup decides to help me pull weeds tomorrow. We've got a LOT of weeds in the yard...

This wasn't one of my favorite BarkBoxes, but it was okay because I found out my dogs love kale and they scored a new sleepytime treat. I'm not sure how well the bee will hold up to their jaws, but it's super cute so maybe I'll keep it for myself (I find myself saying that a lot lately and I've amassed quite the collection...).  I'm not too thrilled about receiving another Bumi given that they didn't care for it the first time around, but I was using a different account back then so it's not BarkBox's fault at all. I highly recommend anyone looking to spoil their furry friend to check out this subscription. It was my first sub box and remains one of my favorites. You can sign up here for as low as $18/month -- plus get a free box tacked on to your subscription just for using my link! Thanks in advance!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. So remember how I was totally jealous of your April box because you got the bouquet of flowers?? I got one this month! My box was so totally different than yours. I do get the Small box, though.
    You got a bee butt! Haha! Too bad about the Bumi. I donate all my unused dog toys to one of the shelters by my house. Mostly all the rubbery type ones that my dogs won't even touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh so glad you finally got the bouquet! I still haven't given it to the dogs. And I probably never will ;-P It's too stinkin' cute! I was surprised because Pebbles usually loves all the rubbery toys...except the Bumi. Maybe it's because it whacks her in the face every time she tries running with it in her mouth. Hehe. It IS funny to watch though.

      Delete