Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Walmart Beauty Box Unboxing - Summer 2015

Believe it or not, the Walmart Beauty Box seasonal sub is one that I really look forward to. If you've been following me long enough you'll know that I'm rather thrifty and prefer beauty products that can do a decent job with my wallet in mind. Ninety percent of the time I won't even take a second look at a $50 bottle of shampoo no matter how good it makes my hair smell. Walmart carries affordable beauty. I like affordable beauty. I'm fairly certain I'll never find a $50 shampoo in here and that's why I'm excited to dig in!


 What: Walmart Beauty Box contains samples of beauty products from major drugstore brands
When: Ships once a season (March, June, September, and December)
Cost: The box itself is free, but there is a flat $5 shipping fee

St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub (1oz travel size value: $0.60) - Facial scrubs are probably my favorite skincare product. I love the feeling of those tiny beads sloughing off all the dead skin. These particular scrubbing beads are on the abrasive side so I don't know if it'd be the best choice for sensitive skin. But it does smell citrus and lovely. I think this is what was making the entire box smell good. Lately there have been talks about making it state law to ban the sale of any product with plastic microbeads because they pollute the ocean (where the beads would eventually end up after passing through wastewater treatment) and harm marine life. I'm torn. I do like the fishies, but I also like the scrubbies. But they do make dissolving microbeads, don't they?...maybe we can all be happy :)

Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy Nourishing Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (1.7oz travel size value: $0.70) - I generally don't care for shampoo samples, especially if there's no conditioner to go along with it. BUT! This one's a conditioning shampoo. Meaning it's mostly a shampoo but with some hydrating properties but you'll still probably have to use a dedicated conditioner along with it. Amirite? I have yet to encounter an all-in-one that leaves my hair feeling soft. At least this one's a nice size for travel...if I traveled much. I don't have a huge problem with dandruff but I do get it occasionally. However, I feel like you need more than just a couple uses from a little bottle to know if it actually works...aaand a quick look at the bottom tells me this particular sample expired two months ago in May. *pffff*

Dove Go Fresh Nutrium Moisture Revitalize Body Wash - Mandarin & Tiare Flower scent (1.8oz travel size value: $0.50) - Whew, that was a mouthful. These items have really long names. I got this same thing in the Spring box and I love the scent. Citrus with a hint of floral in just the right proportions. It lathers very well so you don't need more than a quarter size. Well I don't but then again I'm all of 5' tall. 

Nivea Soft Moisturizing Creme (0.84oz travel size value: $0.50) - Nivea is known for their fantastic moisturizing products. For some reason the seal on my container was already partially open. *skeptical face* This cream has a powdery scent that would probably end up giving me a headache after a few minutes. I'd pass it on to C who has more dry skin than I do, but he's also more sensitive to scented products and avoids them as much as humanly possible. On the bright side, it absorbs pretty quickly even if you don't have thirsty skin. I'll probably use it on my legs. If anything, my shins get dry. Not my elbows, not my knees, but my shins. Wth, right?

NYC Liquid Lipshine Lip Gloss - Fashion Ave Fuchsia (0.24oz full size value: $2) - I normally like pink lip glosses, but I think fucshia might be pushing it. I tend to go for sheer or pale pinks, maaaybe with a hint of coral. I tried to get on the bold pink bandwagon, but each time it comes out looking way too bright even with a single layer and overall just doesn't look right on me. I kind of feel like I'd be betraying myself by giving away a pink gloss, but alas, it must be done. I hope somebody else will get tons of use out of it.

Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen SPF 70 (0.5oz sample value: $0.80) - The first thing I noticed about this sunscreen is the SPF rating - 70!! The highest I've ever seen. After 50 the added protection is minimal so you don't really need to go much higher than that. SPF ratings form a logarithmic curve - SPF15 blocks about 94% of UVB radiation, SPF30 about 97%, SPF50 about 98%...you get the idea. I'm guessing SPF70 blocks just under 99% UVB. But the crazy high SPF isn't a deal breaker - this sunscreen contains oxybenzone which defends against UVA radiation as well (the one that causes wrinkles). Actually, most sunscreens nowadays are broad spectrum which is a good thing. You just don't necessarily need it in SPF 70.

One Direction Fragrance sample - You & I - Alright, I do like "That's What Makes You Beautiful," but that's about all I know about One Direction. I'm far from a fan girl. I don't know any of their other songs. Heck, I don't even know how many people are in there. Six? Five? So I definitely had no idea they had their own fragrance. And it's a flowery one. It's citrus-flowery instead of powder-flowery so I guess it could be worse, but it's still a bit much for me. This is a light, playful scent that's entirely appropriate for spring or summer. I'm catching a splash of grapefruit over a hodgepodge of flowers. In fact, if the scent were toned down a bit I think I'd actually like it.

There was also a sample of Jergens 3-day tanning lotion system. Why three days? So that your fake tan is not so obvious, of course! We gradually trick people into thinking we have a nice tan because if people could tell we cheated we'll get teased. Well I would anyway. These are pretty generous foils so you can probably cover your extremities with it...well, maybe minus a leg. And for once there wasn't a plethora of coupons. There was one folded card of coupons, but that was it. Buuut they expired before I even got my box. :( Booo.

If you want to explore affordable drugstore brands, sign up here to get a free box shipped to your doorstep at the beginning of each season. I'm pretty sure they still have Summer boxes available but I don't know for how much longer so pick one up if you're interested! If there's a baby in your near future, there's also a Baby Box catered to your pregnancy stage (1st, 2nd, 3rd trimester). If you decide to pick up a Baby Box let me know how you like it!

Note: All opinions contained within this post are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Your box looks great! I think all the boxes were much better than the last ones. Except for expired shampoo, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Even the coupons for the makeup brushes were expired by the the time I got them :( I keep comparing them to the first box. I loved the first box. I used almost everything in that one!

      Delete