Monday, August 31, 2015

Birchbox Unboxing - July 2015 ...plus my box's adventure

What: Birchbox contains 4-6 samples of high-end beauty and lifestyle products
When: Ships on the 10th of each month
Cost: $10/month or $110/year upfront
Fun fact: Birchbox has an awesome points system where you can review products or make purchases from the Birchbox shop to earn points. Every 100 points gets you $10 credit in the BB shop.

Wait what? July Birchbox? But it's August - almost September! Yes and yes. You see, there was this mix up. I've been a loyal subscriber for the past two years but for some reason I got an email in mid-July saying that although I had reserved a box, there wasn't enough stock to fulfill my order so I wouldn't be getting anything for July. Since I had already been charged for July the email said I wouldn't get charged for August's box. Sounds fair enough. (Then for some reason I didn't get a sample choice email for August...and this happened to be one of the very few months I actually wanted a particular sample! *sad face*) Well August rolls along and I get charged again. Whaaat? When I asked why, customer service told me that they had indeed sent out a July box on 7/31 after all. Okay sure. Since I can probably swim across the ocean faster than the time it takes Birchbox to cross the good ol' Pacific, it took about 3 1/2 weeks to arrive. Believe it or not, that's actually normal. When it did arrive this is what it looked like:
What the heck??! I've seen roadkill that looked more intact than that. I can only guess that it got caught in a conveyor belt along the way. The box reeked heavily of perfume so I guessed something must have leaked. I was right as you'll see in a bit.

Since I'm pretty sure you're all July Birchbox'ed out, the rest of this review will be quick. (Also because August's box just arrived and I have to get to that one soon)

July Birchbox info card
Amika Un.Done Texture Spray (0.75oz travel size value: $3.40) - I jump at anything made to tame the frizzies but when it comes to dry shampoo and styling sprays I'm kinda unenthused. But I do know lots of people who do love and appreciate these things so I'll pass this along to one of them. I hear it smells good though :)
Update 10/2017: So despite my initial hesitation, this dry shampoo may be worth a shot after all! It made it to Reviews.com's Top 5 list of Best dry shampoos of 2017! Apparently I missed out on an opportunity to try the best of the best, but I'm glad the friend I handed it off to got the chance! If you've tried this dry shampoo leave a comment and let me know how you liked it!

Macadamia Professional Weightless Moisture Leave-In Conditioning Mist (3.3oz value: $8.50) - This is almost half-size and the only thing in the box I was actually excited to try. It was also the only thing that had leaked. I mean this bottle was totally empty. That's over 3 oz of liquid all over the box, which was quite sticky. The Benefit Cosmetics coupon card that came with the samples is still sealed shut with conditioning spray. I'm not a huge fan of the scent (it's a bit too perfumey for me) but I am willing to try leave-in conditioners if it'll help to tame the frizz. Plus I've had positive experiences with everything I've tried from this brand. Birchbox said they're sending a replacement my way...I hope it gets here before the September box does.

theBalm Cosmetics Balm Desert Bronzer (0.8g value: $2.50) - I'm kind of obsessed with theBalm's sample packaging...those magnetic closures! I can just sit there forever and open and close and open and close this thing. It's therapeutic. This is a pressed powder bronzer with mica for a bit of luminosity. It's pretty and looks like a perfect shade for my skin tone, but I'm neck deep in bronzers and it's not something I go through very quickly. Maybe I can save it for when I get bored of my current bronzer? Because that does happen for me a lot when it comes to makeup.

Coola SPF30 Organic Makeup Setting Spray (0.34oz value: $7.20) - Confession time: I've never used a setting spray before. Is it really as easy as it sounds?...a couple of spritzes and you're all set? I'm hesitant only because all those hydrating facial mists never seem to actually absorb into my skin or even evaporate from it - it just kind of sits there for hours until I wash it off. I wonder if this will just sit there too and make makeup application really messy and gross. Anybody tried it before?

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick - Venizia (0.05oz tube value: $12) - Venizia is a bright coral and I'm not quite sure I'm ready to rock the "bright" part of that name. It looks more like a cross between hot pink and red in the tube, but we all know that looks can be deceiving when it comes to makeup. Still deciding whether to add this to my already-too-big lip collection.


So I was kind of sad about the empty leave-in conditioner since it was the only thing I was actually interested in trying at first, but after a closer look I'm pretty satisfied with this (last?) month's selection. Plus this box had a pretty high value of about $28 :) The only no-way item in here is the styling spray but I'm sure I can find someone who wants it.

Like what you see? Get your own monthly box of samples by subscribing here. Happy discovering!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions contained within this post are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment