Monday, August 17, 2015

Ipsy Unbagging - August 2015

What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products (mostly makeup) in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extra: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.

I've been kind of meh about Ipsy lately (with the exception of June's bag) - I've been getting lots of decent products but in the wrong shade, scent, etc. I kind of figured August would be something back-to-school related (is it just me or does it seem like schools are starting earlier every year?...lots of elementary schools start in July now...whaaat??) so I was expecting them to roll out some beauty finds for fresh new looks, aka trendy stuff. 

BellaPierre Mineral Lipstick - P.I.N.K. (3.5g full size value: $20) - I do like BellaPierre products though I think they tend to be a bit overpriced. When I buy lipsticks I prefer the first number in the cost to be a one, with an exception for single digit pricing. Well technically this retails for $19.99 but to me that's the same as $20.  P.I.N.K. is a..well...pink color. It looks like a berry pink to me but the description says it's hot pink. Smells yummy (like vanilla!) but my lips aren't exactly feeling hot pink at the moment. Or ever, really. They're kind of conservative when it comes to dressing up. Maybe I'll trade this for Catwalk; that one looks mauvey and pretty. Baby steps.

Lord & Berry Ultimate Lipliner - Nude (0.03oz approx sample value: $9) - Yesss! A lipliner! One of the main reasons why I don't wear lipstick is because I never got around to purchasing a decent lipliner. Why? Because I am THAT lazy and don't venture to the mall or the drugstore's makeup section unless I have a good reason to...like having a 20% off coupon that expires tomorrow (15% won't cut it for my cheap self). No such coupon has crossed my path so my makeup stash continues to grow only thanks to Ipsy and Birchbox. Come to think of it, I did have a lipliner many moons ago but that one has long since been lost, most likely while I was still dorming in college. And now HELLO LIPLINER! we meet again. And in nude! So happy right now.

La Fresh Group Good Night. Night Cream (0.5oz sample value: $11) - I tried the Good Day day moisturizer before and it works just fine but I wasn't too fond of the scent - it smelled like wasabi to me. I like to eat wasabi, not smear it all over my face. I have no clue if the night cream has a similar fragrance, but I'm not gonna find out. I only had to use the tiniest bit of day moisturizer to keep my face nice and plump all day so the 0.5oz foil lasted close to a month; I expect the night cream to last quite a while too. This is probably the first foil that I would say actually has some value to it  (after all, it has more product in it than some sample tubes), though I'm not sure it's worth the price point - $40 for 1.7oz?!! Why??

Marc Anthony Nourishing Argan Oil of Morocco (0.7oz approx sample value: $4) - Super win! I have lots of hair and it tends to get wild at times so I'm always on the lookout for anything to tame the frizzies. This treatment oil was the first thing I used out of the Bag because it smells so freakin good! Have you ever tried Beauty & Protect products from Birchbox? This comes pretty close to that scent. I rubbed some on my hair 20 minutes ago and I'm still sniffing my hands. Does it work? Yes, I think so. I haven't had any frizzy days since opening this bottle so I can't test the anti-frizz claim, but my hair does feel slicker after applying it. The instructions say to apply from roots to ends but if your scalp is on the oily side like mine is, I'd stay away from the roots and apply to the ends only.

Doll 10 HydraGel Cream Blush - Flirt (0.11oz approx sample value: $6) - I haven't really jumped on the cream blush wagon because every one I've tried makes my cheeks feel oily and/or sticky even after warming it up a bit. I'm probably just applying it wrong but I think I'll stick to powders. Flirt is a peachy pink shade - very pretty and probably worth trying if I was any good at applying cream blush. The smell however, thumbs down. Chalky. Kind of like some lipsticks. Not yummy vanilla like BellaPierre above.


So August is looking like another semi-win/lose month for me, depending on how you look at it. I'm only super happy about the lipliner and hair oil, but those two alone make up for the cost of the bag. I want to love the lipstick, but I'll need to see more swatches before I decide whether to keep it. Lots of folks are saying it's not a "hot pink" kind of bright, and others are saying it's bolder than it looks in the tube. Hmm...

Regarding curation, I must commend Ipsy on the back to school theme and encouraging me to try new looks by sending items that push me out of my comfort zone. Technically this was a great bag that met my expectations; it's just me being reluctant to try them. Why am I such a stubborn ass? :-/ To get your own Ipsy glam bag, click here. From what I understand there hasn't been a wait list lately but if there is, you can skip the wait by posting to Facebook and having someone subscribe from your link.

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment