Tuesday, October 20, 2015

BarkBox Review - October 2015 + Get A FREE Box!


What: BarkBox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. This review is for a medium-dog box.
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription (plus $5 shipping per box outside the contiguous 48 states)
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each BarkBox goes to rescue groups! Check out their BarkGood program to get involved.


It was a no-brainer that October would be Howlloween month for Barkbox. In the past they've put out some stellar Halloween boxes (you can check out my reviews here and here) so I've got some pretty high expectations for this one. Let's find out what ghoulish surprises await the furballs!
October Barkbox info card

BarkMade Ninja (Value: $10) - Of course I'm going to start off with the toys. I'd say 4 out of 5 boxes have a Barkbox exclusive plush and although they're way adorable, I wish they'd include durable toys more often. Or offer a heavy chewers box. There's no way this ninja cat will survive longer than 30 minutes in my house.

P.L.A.Y. Fat Bob Monster (Value: $10) - This one will also meet a quick demise if I offer him to the dogs. I feel like my corgis are way rougher than their size should allow. Especially the little one. The 35-lb big brother will disembowel a stuffed animal in half an hour; the tiny 16-lb girl will do it in 10 minutes. Their life's mission is to destroy all things soft and cuddly and that's why little girl doesn't get a pillow to sleep on anymore :(

Grandma Bowser's Country Oven Biscuits - Pumpkin Pie with Sweet Autumn Apples (4oz value: $8 ??) - We've gotten Grandma Bowser's biscuits several times in our boxes and while the dogs do love 'em, I hardly think they're worth $8 for only 4oz (the Grandma Bowser's website sells 10oz bags for that price).  I found out last year that my dogs like pumpkin so this will definitely be devoured within the next couple of weeks. Each bag has about 6-8 cookies and I don't recommend breaking them into smaller pieces because you'll end up with a crumbly mess. They're pretty hard to break apart anyway.

Healthy Balance Chicken Strips (3oz value: $8) - The furballs will never turn down a treat (I mean never) but they do have their favorites and so far smoked jerky tops that list. I don't think this one is smoked - in fact I think it might be on the sweet side with honey and lots of fruits and veggies in it - so I'm not sure if this will be a favorite. But one thing's for sure - it'll be gone before Halloween because any type of jerky doesn't last long in my house, whether it's for dogs or humans. Hormone- and grain-free too. Yay!

Etta Says Pumpkin Chew (Value: $4) - Is it just me or are the Barkprices for Etta Says sticks getting higher? I could swear it was $3 a few months ago (which I still think is way overinflated for a single crunchy stick). I believe this is the first non-animal protein source we've gotten from Etta Says. Since I only have one of these the better-behaved dog gets it. So far I think Macho is winning because Pebbles just tried to eat his poop when I wasn't looking. Ewwww.

I'm happy with the treats in this month's box, but I think I'm gonna shoot an email over to the folks at Barkbox to ask what I can do about getting toys that can withstand my powerful chewers' jaws. I asked about it with my last account and they started sending more durable toys, but that was before Scout's Honor began. (In case you're unfamiliar with it, Scout's Honor is a program that lets you select something more suitable for your dog if you have a problem with an item in your box) I really hope they won't just tell me to bug them every month to take advantage of Scout's Honor (because who wants to be that person?)

Think BarkBox sounds cool? I bet you do ;) Use my referral code DOGSYAY to get a box for as low as $18/month -- plus get a free box tacked on to your subscription just for using the code! Awesomesauce!!

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this post are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment