Thursday, October 8, 2015

Birchbox Unboxing - September 2015

What: Birchbox contains 4-6 samples of high-end beauty and lifestyle products
When: Ships on the 10th of each month
Cost: $10/month or $110/year upfront
Fun fact: Birchbox has an awesome points system where you can review products or make purchases from the Birchbox shop to earn points. Every 100 points gets you $10 credit in the BB shop.

I'm not sure why, but deliveries have been taking longer than usual to get to this rock in the middle of the ocean: my friend's Amazon Prime order took 3 weeks to arrive, I ordered some nail polish from Julep in late August that's still in transit, and the last couple of months Birchbox has been arriving in the following month. I blame El Nino.

I managed to avoid all spoilers this month and didn't even receive an email to choose a sample so I didn't know what kinds of stuff were being sent out. I've even been MIA on Birchbox reviews because I've been so busy. Let's see what the Birchbox train brought!

Acure Organics Facial Cleansing Gel Superfruit + CGF (1oz value: $2.50) - This cleanser does double duty: it washes away dirt, oil and makeup while also activating new cell growth (i.e. anti-aging!) with chlorella growth factor. It's perfect for combination to oily skin so I think I'm gonna try this next. My face has been an oily mess this whole summer :-/

Davines This Is A Sea Salt Spray (3.38oz value: $11) - I love getting Davines products in my boxes because they're so moisturizing and the samples are usually huge. This one technically doesn't even pass as travel size! I've been getting so many sea salt sprays lately I'm wondering if my boxes are trying to tell me something. I guess the season may have had something to do with it but now that we're heading into fall, do people still rock the beachy look? I've never used one of these sprays because I can't stand the tangled mess and brittle texture that the actual ocean imparts to my hair. I'm wondering if salt sprays are any different. Do you get all of the look with none of the mess?

L'Artisan La Chasse Aux Papillons Eau de Toilette - Perfumes are something else I've been getting a ton of lately. I don't wear perfume unless it smells fun and fruity. And even then I can only wear it when going out alone because C's allergies will act up around anything strongly scented (which is why I can only burn candles when he's away at work *sniff sniff*). Anyway, this perfume is made in France (in case the name didn't give it away). Here's the scent description: Chasing butterflies...A heavenly fragrance playing hide and seek amongst orange and lime trees in blossom. Or for a more direct description: linden, light tuberose, orange blossom. Sounds playful and citrus. Maybe something I'd try the next time I go out with the gals. That price though. ($100 for 50ml!!!)

Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil - Medium Brown (0.013oz value: $9) - Believe it or not, I've never owned an actual brow pencil before. I usually get by without filling in my eyebrows at all (thank you, bushy brows!), but if I do want a bit more color I just use some eyeshadow. I was so excited to see this in my box so I could finally own the right tools; unfortunately, it's too light for me. My brows are pretty darn close to black. Matches my hair color though, so if I ever get a receding hairline...

Japonesque Velvet Touch Eye Shadow - Shade 05 (1.5g full size value: ~$12) - Wow, this is feels very luxe. The case is very sturdy with a snap closure and it even has a built-in mirror! Cooool. I got Shade 05 which looks like a medium taupe. This seems to be the color all boxes send out, probably because it's so versatile and appropriate for any occasion. At the rate I use eye shadow though, I think I'm set for life for this color. Looks like the brand discontinued making the single color shadows (or maybe Birchbox bought them out? Haha), but there's still duos and palettes for sale.

When I first saw the products I was kind of disappointed because everything was either too similar to something I already have or I just didn't think I'd use it. But now I'm kind of digging this box. The only thing I'll probably part with is the sea salt spray unless someone can convince me that your hair still feels fabulous with it on. I'll try to trade the brow pencil for a darker color because I really really want to try it. Really.

Summer's behind us and autumn is coming up, so October's box should be fun. Maybe some tools to create sultry looks and awesome moisturizers for the cold, dry months up ahead? You can find out first hand by clicking my link to start getting your own box of goodies. Ooooo fun, no? ;)

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions contained within this post are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment