Monday, October 5, 2015

Ipsy Unboxing - September 2015

Whew! October is well underway and I've barely had a chance to even look in September's Ipsy glam bag. Sorry if this post is very short and uninformative; I'm pretty much unboxing this as I type. 



What: Ipsy Glam Bags contain 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products (mostly makeup) in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month
Fun Extra: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints which can be redeemed for monthly bonus items.

September's theme was Face Fashion - we're talking about smokier, deeper, richer colors. Stuff to transition from summer fun to fall elegance. So far I see lots of golden hues. I'm not really one for gold colors, but hey gold does scream richer.

Temptu Champagne Shimmer Highlighter (0.25oz value: $7) - I have a feeling this is one of those "a little goes a long way" products. I recall getting a teeny tiny sample of this in a past Birchbox but never used it (I think it got lost somewhere). This is a silicone-based highlighter that goes on sheer but can be built up for even more shimmer. Me and shimmer haven't been getting along very well; my face has been pretty oily lately and already has all the shimmer it needs. But if you're not an oily mess and are able to blend it well, the results look very pretty and airbrushed.

NYX Cosmetics Ipsy Eye Shadow Trio (0.03oz value: $3) - Designed exclusively for Ipsy, this palette has two shimmery (champagne and copper) and one matte (black) color. I haven't tried it yet, but based on swatches I've seen on other blogs, the champagne is very shimmery and could probably pass as a highlighter. The copper is pretty (like a shiny penny!) but intense. I don't own that exact shade so this might be one of the few shadows that I end up keeping :)

J. Cat Beauty #MOTD Waterproof Slide on Pencil - Bronze (0.05oz full size value: $2.50) - A creamy pencil? I like! Waterproof and smudgeproof? I like! Bronze? Don't know if I like. Not as an eyeliner anyway. But that's mostly because I don't know how to wear metallic eyeliners without looking like a trainwreck. I wish I knew, then at least I'd be able to use silver to widen my eyes. I've tried, but alas, I just looked like I saw unicorns.

Trust Fund Beauty Nail Polish - Elegantly Wasted (0.5oz full size value: $15) - Such a demeaning name for such a pretty polish. But here's Trust Fund's explanation: "if you enjoy yourself, it's not really a waste - it's your prerogative." All their names are pretty raunchy, actually. Trust Fund makes 7-free nail polishes (yay!) in tons of colors with colorful names, many which have nothing to do with the color at all. Elegantly Wasted is a dark lilac. I've only recently started wearing purple nail polish and I don't have a light purple creme yet so this is going on my nails as soon as I get tired of my current mani - though I still love looking at it everyday even after three weeks so I may not get to it anytime soon...

Garnier Fructis Brazilian Smooth Flatiron Express (5oz full size value: $6) - My first and only experience with Garnier was about 10 years ago when I tried one of their shampoos. It left my hair so squeaky and tangled that I never used it again (my coworker loves this brand so I'm sure they've changed their formula since then). Ever since that day I haven't even bothered to browse the Garnier section in the store, though they do have quite a big selection at Target. It's no surprise then that this balm is new to me. Basically you run it through damp hair before blow drying then take a flatiron to it. Difficult-to-straighten hair should be straight in no time. I wouldn't say my hair is difficult to straighten, but it certainly doesn't get as smooth as I'd like it. But I don't straighten my hair very often, mostly because I have so much of it and I'm usually over the whole straightening thing by the time I reach the halfway point. :P

September's makeup bag looks so elegant. It could almost pass for a clutch. In fact, if I liked sporting gold I'd totally use this as just that. Unfortunately, I'm more of a silver person. If there were a silver version of it I'd be all over it.
I'd say Ipsy did a pretty good job of sticking to the fall elegance thing. Usually their bags are the only thing that stick to the theme but this glam bag had lots of gold in it and to me gold = rich = classy = chic. I'm definitely keeping the nail polish and possibly the eyeshadow. Only two items but I still got my money's worth this month. Yay!

To get your own Ipsy glam bag, click here. From what I understand there isn't a wait list right now but if there is, you can skip the wait by posting to Facebook (if you don't want anyone to see your post just set the audience to Only Me...it should still work).

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment