Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ipsy Review - January 2016

What: Ipsy Glam Bag contains 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products (mostly makeup) in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month (free shipping)
Fun Extra: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints which can be redeemed for bonus items.


Sorry this post didn't make it by January; it actually came in a couple of days before the month ended but I've been buried under piles of work having way too much fun enjoying the new year. Ipsy is a fun subscription that keeps me guessing. Some months will be duds but there are other times, like last month, when a bag puts me over the moon. It's always fun to see what kind of new goodies come in an Ipsy glam bag. January's theme is All Eyes On You which I'm guessing means we'll be receiving mostly eye stuff. Let's find out...

Beau Gachis Paris Smudge Brush (Value: $12) - Something I always welcome are all types of makeup brushes. Why, I have no clue. I've accumulated quite a collection over the years and have backups for my backups but I'm still happy whenever one appears in a subscription box. The bristles in this one are a little looser than what I'd prefer in a smudge brush but I think it'll work fine as a regular eye shadow brush.

Mr. Write (Now) Eyeliner Pencil - Jac (0.28g FULL SIZE! value; $17) - I'll be honest. I've never used bronze eyeliner before. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to makeup so I'm hesitant to step outside of my comfort zone. That means my collection is full of blacks, dark blues, and dark browns. But if you think about it, isn't bronze like a shiny brown? Yeah, let's go with that. I like browns. Maybe I'll finally try something new.

J. Cat Blinkle Shimmer Shadow - Tangerine Light (2.5g FULL SIZE! value: $5) - Bronze eyeliner and now bronze shadow. I wouldn't call this color tangerine or light, but according to some reviews I've read it sounds like a very pretty color that compliments a variety of skin tones. I've also read that there's minimal fallout even without a primer. Good news for me because eyelid primer is one thing I never remember to use :-/

Pur-lisse Blue Lotus 4-in-1 Eye Adore Serum (0.24oz sample value: $31) - Holy eyeballs, Batman. This is one expensive serum. My serums hail from the aisles of Target where a $20 bill can get you a whole tub of anti-aging goodness. I guess those dollar signs are due to Lotus Lupine 5, Pur-lisse's exclusive proprietary peptide complex that fights wrinkles, dark circles, and puffiness while keeping skin firm. Still, you can probably get similar results for way cheaper elsewhere.

Hanalei Sugar Lip Scrub (5ml sample value: $4.50) - Yay, this lip scrub is made in Hawaii! I always jump for joy when I see a product from my home state because it makes me feel like I'll have unlimited access to it without having to wait for shipping. Not to mention paying air rates since you can't truly "ground" ship to HI unless you're okay with waiting a month for the slow boat method. This scrub uses Maui sugar crystals and kukui nut oil to exfoliate and soften lips. In fact, all of Hanalei's products contain kukui oil, which is an excellent moisturizer and is used to treat many types of skin conditions.

So everything in the bag was somewhat promising, but the makeup bag itself is...loud. It has lots of bold colors and is a rather happy-looking bag, but when it comes to makeup pouches I prefer solid, boring colors. Black. Gray. Beige. It's probably because my makeup bags often double as first aid/time-of-the-month bags and who wants to draw attention to their band-aids and tampons? Not me. But now that I think about it, I have so many Ipsy bags in my closet that they really don't need to pull double duty anymore. Hm.

Thank you, Ipsy, for sticking to the theme this month! All except one item had to do with the eyes which is fitting for an "All Eyes On You" deal. This is also probably the highest valued glam bag I've ever received thanks to the eye serum which I most likely won't use because I already have a gazillion of those but can't remember to use a single one (yes, I'm pretty bad when it comes to eye care). But even without the serum I can still get bronze eyes and smooth lips. Fun!

Click here to get your own Ipsy glam bag for just $10 a month. It's one of the most affordable beauty subscriptions out there and the value always exceeds the cost. Like I said, bags may be hit or miss but lately I've been getting some great stuff and I'm definitely keeping this one going! 

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment