Thursday, March 31, 2016

Walmart Beauty Box Review - Spring 2016

  What: Walmart Beauty Box contains samples of beauty products from major drugstore brands. Multiple versions are available for different age groups - this review is for the Trendsetter box.
When: Ships once a season (March, June, September, and December)
Cost: The box itself is free, but there is a $5 flat shipping fee

The Walmart Beauty Box is one of my favorite boxes because you can find some great AFFORDABLE stuff in here. That word makes me happy. Even better, when you run out of your sample all you have to do is head to your nearest Walmart (hopefully there's one not too far away) and pick up a full size. No online ordering, no shipping fees, no waiting. The Walmart box is similar to the Target beauty box in that you'll be introduced to stuff that won't empty out your wallet, but unlike the Target one, the Walmart box's contents remain a mystery until it arrives at your doorstep. That's part of what I love about it :)

Curél Itch Defense Body Wash (1oz value: $1) - Curel is known for their dermatologist-recommended lotions. This is a gentle soap-free cleanser formulated for dry skin. The second ingredient in here is sodium laureth sulfate which is what makes the suds that give you that clean feeling, but it can also be an irritant and is actually what I consider "soap" in my mind. If you or someone in your household suffers from chronic dry itchy skin/eczema you know how tough it can be to find a body wash that cleans yet doesn't irritate skin. It seems you can either have the clean OR you can have the gentle, not both.

Jergen's Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer - Fair to Medium Skin Tones (2oz value: $2) - Sometime last year I got a Walmart box with foil packets of this tanning lotion. Those packets are still in my To Use pile. I like a good tan, and I have the worst shorts tan ever so you'd think I'd be all over this thing. I'm not. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about this but I've never met a self-tanner that has made the slightest difference. I've tried creams, oils, lotions, wipes, body washes, and sprays all to no avail. Maybe tanners don't work on medium skin tones after all? *sigh* I'm sure the stuff in it isn't too good for your skin, anyway.

Biore Baking Soda Pore Cleanser (1oz value: $1) - So here's my thought process on this one: A while back I heard that you shouldn't use baking soda cleansers on your face. I remembered from spending my college days in the lab that sodium bicarbonate a.k.a. baking soda has a pH of about 8.5, whereas your skin's pH is acidic (pH 5ish). Then I dug deeper, into my college bacteriology course nuggets, and recalled that Propionibacteria (the acne bacteria) like to grow at about pH 6-6.5. Naturally, if you put something basic on your acidic skin, your skin's pH will rise a bit, possibly to that P. acnes sweet spot, and you'll break out. I was curious just how basic this cleanser was so I found some plain ol' pH paper lying around (I don't have those nifty accurate pH strips) to get a general idea of what I'd be putting on my face. Turns out it has a pH of around 4, which isn't too far from your skin's natural acidity. So my question now - since I'm not a skincare guru or anything - is this safe to put on my face after all? Did anyone else take a pH of this? Cause I'm not sure how much I should trust my 10-year-old test paper...

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Subtle Lightening Shampoo (2oz value: $2) - Hmm, shampoo that uses honey and marigold flower extract to infuse golden tones and illuminate brunette hair. One would think that you'd need ammonia to help strip the hair cuticle but I don't see ammonia-based anything on the ingredients list. Is there another way to color hair? Or does this just make your hair really shiny so that it reflects a gazillion times more light and makes you hair appear lighter? Sure, I'll give this a shot just for kicks. Not gonna hold my breath, though. At worst this thing will turn my hair into a desert but eh, hair grows.

Colgate Optic White Platinum Express White Toothpaste (1.45oz value: $2) - My feelings toward whitening toothpastes mirror that of self-tanners. They don't work. After using four types of whitening toothpastes and two brands of strips my teeth aren't any whiter. I haven't used this particular one, though. Oh well what matters most is clean teeth so I can always use more toothpaste, whitening or not. And if you really want to whiten your teeth without wasting $$$ on stuff that might not work, Colgate offers recipes for making your own whitening toothpaste using things you can find around the house. That way you can make a little bit at a time, and if it doesn't work just toss it without the guilt.

Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick (0.08oz value: $5) - Pink Grapefruit (a doll pink) is one of eight brand new lip colors Neutrogena released for the spring. While I prefer my pinks a bit more on the nude side, this one's sheer enough that it won't be attracting the wrong kind of attention at work. Plus it goes on smoothly and smells yummy which more than makes up for not being my favorite shade. The scent sort of reminds me of my peach body mist. If they named this shade after a dessert I'd probably eat it. Wait, what?
Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Pink Grapefruit
CeraVe Healing Ointment (0.085oz value: $0.10) - We're no strangers to this brand at home. My husband uses CeraVe cream to help with dry skin, but we've never tried the ointment before. Ointments generally tend to be on the greasier side so we usually stay away from them if possible, but this one claims to have a "non-greasy feel." Does that mean it's still greasy but you just don't notice it? I guess we'll find out.

Vera Wang Embrace Periwinkle & Iris Eau de Toilette Spray - A floral gourmand fragrance blending sparkling notes of violet petals with the comfort of whipped sugar and a tender touch of Periwinkle and Iris. I was never a floral fragrance kind of gal, but the vanilla and sugar base notes saves this from getting tossed into the trash. It's floral but sweet and reminds me of one of the lotions from B&BW. Warm vanilla sugar? Twilight woods? I can't remember. It's not my top scent pick, but I can see myself wearing it once in a while.

Each box also comes with lots of foil packets and coupons and usually a couple of them catch my eye. Not this time, though. Okay well maybe one, but not because I'm interested in the product. There's a Loreal foundation shade finder with stickers you can put all over your face to see what shade suits you best. It's a fun concept and as I guessed I'm medium warm. According to this card I look best in gold jewelry. Too bad I like silver better.

The stand outs of this box for me are the two least expected ones - I'm loving the yummy scent and creaminess of the color stick and the Vera Wang perfume is growing on me. Just about everything else will probably get used at some point, although I'm still on the fence about the baking soda cleanser and tanning lotion.

Did you get a Walmart Beauty box? It's great if you're looking for affordable beauty that won't break the bank. If you want full size products you probably won't find that here (unless it's a lipstick or mascara), but considering all you do is pay for shipping, I think it's still a great deal. Click here to sign up; the Spring box is still available!

Note: All opinions contained within this post are my own. Post does not contain any referral links.

No comments:

Post a Comment