Thursday, April 21, 2016

Barkbox Review - April 2016

  What: BarkBox is a subscription box for dogs filled with 4-6 treat, toy, and sometimes hygiene items. Boxes are curated according to your dog's size. For dogs with strong jaws, you can also opt for a box with durable toys; just send BarkBox an email to let them know you'd like the heavy chewer option. For reference, this review is for a heavy chewer medium-dog box. Allergy-conscious boxes are also available. 
When: Ships monthly on the 15th
Cost: $18-$29 per month depending on the length of your subscription (plus $5 shipping per box outside the contiguous 48 states)
Fun Fact: 10% of proceeds from each BarkBox goes to rescue groups! Check out their BarkGood program to get involved.


Now that basketball season is behind us, baseball is kicking in. I gotta admit, I'm a total dunce when it comes to baseball, but apparently the people at Barkbox aren't. At least not when it comes to picking out super pawsome stuff about America's favorite pastime.

The info card only lists the box's featured item so I normally don't post a picture of it, but this month the flipside had a punch out so you can create an instant baseball card collectible:

Pebbles thoroughly enjoying her celebrity status
As usual, the fake smile from Macho
I wish Macho was a better sport but oh well, you can't teach a grumpy old man new tricks. Unless the trick involves figuring out how to find a treat.

R2P Pet Lets Go Mutts! Foam Finger (Value $10) - I'm starting with my favorite things. I'm so happy that we've been getting toys that can withstand my little chewer's jaws. I'm happy to report that the phone booth from March's box is doing a fabulous job of holding together. Neither dog has been able to puncture it thanks to the rigid internal structure. This foam finger is softer, but the nylon feels thick and durable. I can't tell if there's stuffing inside but I don't think so. You have to squeeze it pretty hard to get the squeaker to make noise but I take that as a sign that it will be able to withstand my little gremlins.
Hey Ma, it looks kind of like you when you scold me
Barklyn Doggers Cap (Value: $12) - This cap is made out of the same nylon material as the foam finger, plus it has a spiky squeaker inside. I haven't given this to the gremlins yet. I'm kind of doubtful that Pebbles can even fit this in her mouth. But we'll see; where there's a will, there's a way.

House of Pups Triple Cheese Baseball Treats (5.5oz value: $8) - These are the cutest little baseballs ever. And they're cheese flavored! My dogs LOVE anything cheesy. Just last month Macho found my half-eaten string cheese and ate it, wrapper and all. Two days later he threw up the wrapper but his tummy stole the cheese :(
How cute are these treats?!
Fruitables Skinny Minis - Grilled Bison Flavor (5oz value: $7) - We're longtime fans of Fruitables skinny minis because they make great training treats. These are made with real bison and are only 2 1/2 calories per piece so I don't have to feel bad about giving Macho a jackpot when he finally learns to poop in the toilet.

Butcher's Block Beef Trachea (7" chew value: $7) - We got one of these a couple of boxes ago. I'm hoping that these tracheas are becoming the new Barkbox staple. They last much longer than the Etta Says chews that we always used to get, and they're loaded with glucosamine and chondroitin which are good for joint health.

Love it, love it, LOVE IT! Ever since I switched over to the tough chewer box, I haven't given away a single Barkbox item. Most have been canvas/nylon or rubber, but we've gotten a few plush toys too. Fortunately, they all contained some kind of secondary item inside (rope, ball, etc) that the dogs can still play with long after they've ripped out the stuffing. If your dog has tons of pent up energy that he likes to release in the form of destruction, I highly recommend Barkbox's heavy chewer option.

Use referral code DOGSYAY to get a box for as little as $18/month -- plus get a free box tacked on to your subscription just for using my code! The code has no expiration date and this offer is open to all new subscribers.

Note: Post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this post are my own

2 comments:

  1. What the... !? I didn't know there was a heavy chewer box!!!! *runs off to change profile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do!!! You should definitely get it. Pebbles was able to puncture the baseball finger on the first day, but it's filled with some kind of dense spongy material so there's no stuffing to be strewn about. But the cap is holding up well, and that's the one the dogs play with more often too!

      Delete