Thursday, August 4, 2016

Serendipity by LLB Review - July 2016

 What: Serendipity by LLB is another box from the people behind Little Lace Box. It contains random treasures that weren't included in the main LLB but were too precious not to share.
When: Ships every other month (note this subscription is NOT auto-renewing)
Cost: $12.99 per box or a one year subscription (6 boxes) for $59.94 (shipping is included); ships anywhere in the US
Good to Know: Serendipity by LLB ships during the off months of LLB. So if you subscribe to both, you'll get something every month!


The first thing I noticed when opening up this month's box was the overwhelming fragrance. Lavender. I don't mind lavender-scented things, but there's a limit to how much I can tolerate. This box really tested that limit. 

LeBlanc France Parfum Sachet - Lavender (Value: $6) - The main source of the scent. It's overwhelming. Lavender is one of 4 fragrances subscribers could have received, the other three being rose, peony or lily of the valley. This sachet also comes in vanilla, though I don't think it was included in any of the boxes. That's too bad, since I would have preferred that over any of the others. The directions make it clear that the paper envelope should not be opened if using it as potpourri. Good idea. Unless you want your clothes to smell like lavender forever.

Pre de Provence Riche Hand Butter - Starflower (1oz full size value: $8) - Hold your horses, we're not quite done with the flowers yet! Next up is a rich hand creme in starflower scent, though I'm not sure what starflower smells like (tuberose, gardenia??). Sadly, while I do think flowers are pretty, I'm not at all a fan of floral-scented things. It's just too strong for my olfactory senses. But on the bright side, at least it's not more lavender (which was also sent out in boxes!).

Kitsch Double Layer Gold/Pearl Necklace (Value: $23) - I'm not much of a jewelry wearer, but when I do I usually prefer white gold over yellow. I'm not really a pearl person, either. BUT. Here they work nicely together. The mix of tiny pink and white pearls kind of gives the necklace an overall rose gold look at first glance, which I prefer over yellow gold, too. And each necklace has its own clasp so they can be worn layered or separate. I think I could get some use out of this piece. Here's a close up of those pearls:

MannaKadar Fantasy 3-in-1 Blush Highlighter Shadow (Value: $19) - Fantasy is described as a "nude blush pink" which I think is quite accurate. It's actually more pink/copper than the photo above.  Although this is a bit dark for a highlighter and too shimmery for me to use as a blush or bronzer, it'll make a pretty eyeshadow. Unfortunately,  I already have too many copper/nude shimmery shadows so this will be passed on to someone who can use it.

Boca Terry Spa Headband (Value: $4) - This headband feels luxurious considering it only costs $4.00. It's soft and has a strong Velcro closure that's pretty long so it should fit most adults' heads. This would be perfect for keeping hair out of your face when washing your face or during mask treatments. However, I'm very bad at keeping white things white. I can be the neatest person in the world, but the minute I throw on a white shirt or shorts I'll manage to lean against a dirty wall or something.  That's why I'll be passing this off to someone who isn't so terrified of wearing white.

LLB also announced its newest partner, HelloFresh. To celebrate, all Serendiptiy subscribers received a gift card for $50 off the first two boxes for new subscribers. I love gift cards and wouldn't mind taking advantage of this offer, buuut they don't deliver to Hawaii so it's useless to me. Up on the swap boards it'll go.

It pains me to say that I didn't love this month's box very much at all. The value is there, but I just don't see myself using anything other than the necklace. The perfume sachet is just too much. Floral scents give me a headache and I can feel one coming on right now. On the bright side, at least the necklace alone is worth more than what I paid for the box, right?


Note: Post does not contain any referral links. Just my honest to goodness opinions on these cool finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment