Thursday, May 4, 2017

April 2017 Ipsy Glam Bag Review

What: Ipsy Glam Bag contains 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month (free shipping within the US)
Fun Extra: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints which can be redeemed for bonus items.

When it comes to beauty and makeup, Ipsy is probably one of the most affordable subscriptions you can find. And because I rarely find the time to read up on the latest beauty trends, much less actually make it out to the store to pick up a few makeup items, I rely on Ipsy to keep me up to date (*ahem* I mean on fleek, is that the term they use nowadays?). April's glam bag was all about the sideshow. You know, the place where individuality is hot and status quo is not.

And here's my ticket to the show!
This is one of the more unique makeup bags from Ipsy (it's shaped like a ticket for goodness sake!), and while I probably won't be rocking it at the next concert I go to, I do like that the vinyl is stain resistant. And that means a lot for me, because I'm ALWAYS spilling things on my bags. And I'm not sure if you noticed, but the ticket number is the date April 1, but backward. Kinda cool.


ColourPop Cosmetics Creme Gel Pencil in Mr. Bing (full size, $4) - Remember how I said I don't go the store to buy makeup? It's true, and it's probably why I didn't have a decent brown eyeliner. I like gel liners because they're so creamy and stay put, but I only seem to receive black ones in subscriptions. All the browns I've gotten have been pencils which I don't care for because they tug and dig and the color payoff just isn't worth all the trouble. Then this creamy brown gel liner shows up and I'm at peace again. It doesn't stay put on my waterline as I'd hoped, but I can live with that.



Ciate London Mini Bamboo Bronzer in Palm Island (2.2g mini, $6) - At first I thought this was a foundation, but turns out it's a bronzer. It's made with amaranth and sunflower extracts to soothe skin as it contours. Subscribers got this in either Palm Island or Star Island. You can barely tell the difference between the two colors in pictures, but I think Palm Island is a smidge darker. I couldn't capture the true color in the photo above, but Palm Island has pink undertones which is better suited for cool complexions.

Hikari Cosmetics Cream Pigment Eyeshadow in Honey Dew (half size pan, 2g, $6) - Again my sub-par attempts at photography fail to catch the true color of this eyeshadow. Hikari describes Honey Dew as a shimmery peach but I think it looks more like a rose gold. Either way, it's a lot pinker than the above photo shows.

Adesse New York CupuaÇu Butter Lip Balm (full size, $24) - Holy cinnamon, Batman! Take off the cap and you're greeted with a whiff of it. Ipsy calls it ginger mint but I beg to differ. This lip balm contains a chunk of cold pressed CupuaÇu butter in the center of the stick which evidently is the hottest Amazonian ingredient on the market. CupuaÇu butter is an emollient that keeps skin soft and nourished due to its ability to absorb water. Although the balm looks barbie pink in the tube (again can't tell from the photo), it's actually very subtle. I'm wearing it now and you can barely see it. I just know because my lips feel unbelievably moisturized without being tacky. Below is a swatch of this stuff, and just to give you an idea of how subtle it is, I had to go over this swatch about 5 times just to get it to show up in a photo:

SKIN&CO Roma Truffle Therapy Face Toner (1oz size, $4) - If this toner did nothing more than wet my face I would still use it. Why? IT SMELLS SO GOOD. Like tropical fruits. But I'm sure it does what toners are supposed to do, which is balance out your skin's pH prior to the rest of your skin care regime. It contains lots of plant extracts (truffle, calendula, rose and rosemary to name a few) and no alcohol, so no drying out of your skin here. And it's made in Italy. I already feel so luxe, and I haven't even used it yet.


Verdict: I'm going to use everything non-pink in here. So that means the toner, lip balm and eyeliner have already found homes on my sink. But sadly, I can't pull off pink-y makeup very well. I kind of just end up looking like a Barbie gone wrong. I think my favorite find of the month is the lip balm. I'm not so crazy about the scent, but it made my lips feel so soft all the way until lunch. And since it hardly imparts any color, you can wear it under your favorite shade of lipstick and still get all the hydration goodness of CupuaÇu butter.

Sign up for Ipsy glam bag for just $10 a month by clicking here. Each bag comes with five items and if you sign into your account you'll have access to lots of online coupons for more goodies from the featured brands. Plus a little insider info: you'll likely receive one full sized item in each bag, and sometimes it's a whopper of a value! Now if you happen to like that item, you'll feel like the oceans parted and the birds sang and the planets lined up all at once. Kind of like how I feel about this month's lovely lip balm! :D

Note: This post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own




No comments:

Post a Comment