Tuesday, May 2, 2017

April 2017 Pooch Perks Review

What: Pooch Perks is a subscription box for dogs containing 2-5 treats and toys. There are three subscription options: Sample Pooch (2 past items), Popular Pooch (4-5 toys & treats) and Custom Pooch (choose just treats, just toys, heavy chewer, or no grains). Boxes are also curated according to your dog's size.  If your dog has allergies you can also note that down when you sign up. 
If you signed up before February 2017, you're grandfathered into the previous subscription options. For reference, this review is for the older plan's Popular Pooch box (4-5 items) for a medium-large dog (35+ lbs).
When: Choose between monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly deliveries
Cost: $12-$32 per month depending on which option you choose (+$5 shipping/box); ships anywhere in the US and US territories
Fun Fact: A portion of proceeds from each box goes to rescue groups. You can learn more about how Pooch Perks gives back here.

Have you ever gone to the pet store to restock on food only to realize once you're there that you need more training treats? And dog shampoo? And maybe another rawhide... Then before you know it you're walking out with $200 worth of dog accessories, including a pair of doggy sunglasses that your baby girl doesn't really need, but hey it was cute. Not to mention Spunky's brand new Darth Vader plush complete with functioning light saber. No? Is it just me? Oh well. Whatever the case, dog boxes, while they may seem pricey at face value, have actually saved me money in the long run. Now I'm in and out of the pet store without thinking twice about picking up additional treats and toys because I get everything I need from doggy subs.

Case in point: ever since I picked up a Pooch Perks subscription I haven't bought another toy (or treats) from the store. In fact, my dogs' toy box is full of toys they haven't even touched yet, partly because they have their tried and true favorites, but mostly because I have no need to open new ones since their old ones are still holding up well. In the past I've been generally very happy with the quality of toys that we've gotten from Pooch Perks since the majority are pretty durable and I'm confident that April's box won't disappoint, either.

Grandma Lucy's Freeze-Dried Starters: Pureformance Fish Recipe - If you ever wanted a healthy treat for your dog, this is it. This all-natural treat is made with chickpeas, Alaskan pollock, flax, carrots, and apples. It has all of the good stuff and none of the bad. The best part? My dogs think cardboard and grass is yummy and I'm certain that this fares well above that.

Healthy Dogma Jamaican Bacon Flavor Barkers (5oz size, $4) - We got this in container form a couple of boxes ago and between my two dogs, they were gone within three days. I'm not gonna lie, I tried a tiny piece to see if it tastes like bacon (it doesn't) but my dogs must think so. Not sure what kind of crack is in these all-natural biscuits but they love 'em and that's all that matters.

Spunky Pup Fetch & Glow (~$5) - Macho loves nothing more than a good game of fetch, so I was sad that he didn't care for this ball as much as I had hoped. I'm thinking that because it's not  as squishy as a tennis ball, it's not as forgiving when he catches it. He kind of just watches it fall then runs to his tennis ball instead.

Kong Dotz Triangle - Pebbles had her annual checkup last week and the vet told us she's starting to get plaque on her teeth. I'm rather pitiful when it comes to brushing my dogs' teeth and most of the toothpaste ends up in their tummies. Then Pooch Perks sent this and I think all is right in the world again. The nubs on this toy are textured and would probably help keep the plaque at bay when she gnaws on them.

Smokehouse Pet Prime Slice - I saved the best for last. I'm always excited to get any kind of rawhide or dog chew because it's a perfect reward AND it keeps the dogs preoccupied. This prime slice is made from roasted beef ligament and is completely natural - no synthetic or non-digestible parts that could get stuck in doggy bellies.


Verdict: I'm really happy with this box. It's almost impossible to go wrong with treats when it comes to my dogs so of course I'm happy with all of those. And while I'm kind of sad about the ball not working out, the Kong triangle makes up for it. The toys from the the last several boxes have mostly been from a single brand so it's nice to see a different one show up - and a tried and true brand at that. I'm sure Pebbles will get hours of enjoyment out of her Kong nubs and I'll be forever grateful that I don't have to waste more toothpaste trying to brush her teeth. Win-win!

Click here to sign up for Pooch Perks and don't forget to use the code FRIEND10 to get 10% off your first order!


Note: This review reflects my (and my pups'!) honest opinions. No referral links were used in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment