Friday, May 26, 2017

May 2017 Ipsy Glam Bag Review

What: Ipsy Glam Bag contains 5 deluxe samples and full sized beauty products in an exclusive makeup bag.
When: Glam Bags ship monthly on the 10th
Cost: $10/month (free shipping within the US)
Fun Extra: You can review your products each month to earn ipsyPoints which can be redeemed for bonus items.

Can you believe it's almost summer already?? Most of the schools in my area go on summer break this week, if they're not on it already. And pretty soon everyone and their grandma will be going on summer trips.

My husband and I were finally able to sync up our schedules and make reservations for a quick getaway to the Big Island because after three failed attempts over the past four years, I'm more determined than ever to finally witness the sunset atop the summit of Mauna Kea and to brave the 8 mile trek to see the lava flow into the ocean. I even convinced my parents to join us so we could use my dad's hookups to stay at a nice quaint cottage in Volcanoes National Park. But then life happened and we had to cancel our trip. And my parents, who had no intention of going in the first place, are going to enjoy our little vacation without us. But I won't let that get me down. There's always some good in life. Take this month's glam bag, for example. It came early! And by early, I mean before the last week of the month. Yay!

For Ipsy, summer starts in May and they have the ice cream bag to show it. I'm not sure if it's a design flaw or if my bag ran into a little trouble in the manufacturing process, but one end is a little smooshed up and folded over itself. But aside from a couple inches less of storage space, it's still a cute design. The clear plastic reminds me of the coin purses I used to rock in middle school. And since it's a vinyl bag it's totally waterproof. That means you can stuff your swimsuit in here so you don't get your car seat wet on the drive home. :)


Mellow Creamy Matte Lipstick in Nude (full size, 3.8g, $13) - When I think of nude shades, I picture peach-pinks. Something more along the lines of Mellow's lipstick in Posh. This is on the bolder end of the nude spectrum and looks more like a rosy mauve. But it's very creamy and moisturizing, though it doesn't have much staying power. One swipe of a napkin and most of it was gone. 


 Luxie Beauty Dreamcatcher Precision Foundation Brush ($23) - It's been a few months since I've gotten a makeup brush from Ipsy. I changed my profile to say that I didn't need anymore makeup tools and I guess they listened. But another one won't hurt, right? This foundation brush has a tapered head that allows for precision application. You could probably also use it for highlighting, too.

Urban Decay Afterglow 8-hour Powder Highlighter in Sin (2.4g, $9 value) - First of all, this highlighter does NOT look that white in real life. Sin is a lovely champagne color that even I'm tempted to try, and I tend to shy away from the dewy look of highlighters. The finely milled powder gives it a creamy, lightweight texture that will stay put all day.

Jelly Pong Pong Supercharged Super Intense Eyeshadow Duo in Electric (full size, 2g, $23) - This duo contains gold and rose gold tones and promises intense pigment. Almost all shimmery eyeshadows (including this one) also promise no fallout but almost every single one falls short of that promise when it comes to my unskilled hands. I will test the fallout theory later on tonight when I go out, but as far as pigmentation goes this is some pretty shiny stuff. See below for radiant swatches:
Jelly Pong Pong Supercharged Eyeshadow Duo in Electric

Adesse Gel Effect Nail Polish in Surfer Girl (full size, 11ml, $18) - If you recall my self-professed obsession with light blue and pink nail polishes from my last post, then you'll know that I just cannot let go of this one. I know for a fact that I have three other bottles of pastel blue nail polish in my drawer (one is even called Pool Boy, which sounds perfect with Surfer Girl), but I know that none of them have shimmer in them like this one is supposed to have. I really can't see any shimmer in the bottle but I'm hoping something will show up in my manicure...


Verdict: I am ridiculously happy with this month's glam bag. The colors are all "me" (okay the highlighter might take some getting used to, but champagne is a very pretty color) and very appropriate for the season. I'm still getting over the fact that it included four full-sized products which boosted it to an insane $86 value. The highlighter, eyeshadow, and lipstick all happen to match the outfit that I'm wearing out tonight (score!) and the nail polish will be perfect for our Memorial Day beach BBQ. I'm set for the long weekend!

Ipsy glam bag is just $10 a month and you can sign up by clicking here. Each month you'll get five items inside a cute makeup bag, plus if you sign into your account you'll have access to tons of online coupons for more goodies from the month's featured brands.

Note: This post contains referral links. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment