Tuesday, June 27, 2017

June 2017 Pooch Perks Dog Box Review

School's out, its summer break, flights are booked - that can only mean one thing: VACATION TIME!!! For lots that vacation includes a trip to the beach. Snorkeling, scuba diving, catamaran cruises, however you're planning your ocean adventures you're sure to witness tons of sea life. And that's the inspiration behind June's Under the Sea themed box. Just in case your pup can't make it out to the ocean (or refuses to like mine), the nice people at Pooch Perks decided to bring the beach to your dog.


What: Pooch Perks is a subscription box for dogs containing 2-5 treats and toys. There are three subscription options: Sample Pooch (2 past items), Popular Pooch (4-5 toys & treats) and Custom Pooch (includes options for just treats, just toys, heavy chewer, or no grains). Boxes are also curated according to your dog's size.  If your dog has allergies you can also note that down when you sign up. 
If you signed up before February 2017, you're grandfathered into the previous subscription options. For reference, this review is for the older plan's Popular Pooch box (4-5 items) for a medium-large dog (35+ lbs).
When: Choose between monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly deliveries
Cost: $12-$32 per box depending on which subscription option you choose (+$5 shipping/box); ships anywhere in the US and US territories
Fun Fact: A portion of proceeds from each box goes to rescue groups. You can learn more about how Pooch Perks gives back here.


Bow Wow Pet Sea Creatures Starfish - I'm not sure how he did it, but Macho picked this out of the box, removed the tags, then started squeaking it like crazy. All while I had my back turned for 30 seconds to turn on my computer. HOW DID HE KNOW TO REMOVE THE TAGS!??? The tough nylon covering made it harder for the dogs to tear through but after 15 minutes they had torn through the seams and I started seeing white puffs blow across the carpet. *sigh*
PLAY???

Emerald Pet Little Chewzzies Salmon Treats - What would a sea-themed box be without fishy treats? Salmon is the first ingredient in these chewy noms, and that makes me happy because I'm trying to give Macho more fish in hopes that it'll help alleviate his skin issues. These are perfect for training since they have less than 5 calories per treat. Plus they're free of wheat, soy, corn, and dairy so doggies with sensitive tummies can enjoy them, too.

So Bright Grain Free Salmon Treats - More salmon! Last month we got the beef liver recipe from this brand and the dogs la-la-loved it. I don't think we've ever gotten salmon flavored biscuits before (it's always been chewy or freeze-dried treats), but I'm hoping these don't smell as bad as the meaty versions.

Bow Wow Pet Floppy Fish Toy - This toy is similar to the starfish - it's squeaky and huge. I'm still deciding if I want to give this to the dogs because it's a big fish which means a big mess to clean up once they de-stuff it. :(

One Fur All Pet House Mini Candle in Mediterranean Sea - I'm not sure if it was a mistake, but there were two candles in my box. But mistake or not, I could sure use twice the odor neutralizing power. I just bathed both dogs last week but I might as well have bathed them last month. I worry about what others smell when they come in our house, kind of like the noseblind mom in those Febreze commercials. Mediterranean Sea is a floral scent blended with citrus and a hint of musk. I'm more of a fruity scented candle person, but this one does smell clean and if it'll make my house smell better give me ten.

Verdict: I'm always impressed with how well Pooch Perks sticks to themes. Every item in this box has something to do with the sea, including an ocean-themed accessory. But I think I'm most happy about the salmon treats. They're both sourced in the US and are a huge hit with my fur munchkins (but then again everything is). I just renewed my subscription so that means another six months of happy dogs at home!

Click here to sign up for Pooch Perks. Don't forget to use the code FRIEND10 to get 10% off your subscription!


Note: This review reflects my (and perhaps more importantly my pups') honest opinions. No referral links were used in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment