Sunday, June 4, 2017

May 2017 Pooch Perks Dog Box Review

What: Pooch Perks is a subscription box for dogs containing 2-5 treats and toys. There are three subscription options: Sample Pooch (2 past items), Popular Pooch (4-5 toys & treats) and Custom Pooch (includes options for just treats, just toys, heavy chewer, or no grains). Boxes are also curated according to your dog's size.  If your dog has allergies you can also note that down when you sign up. 
If you signed up before February 2017, you're grandfathered into the previous subscription options. For reference, this review is for the older plan's Popular Pooch box (4-5 items) for a medium-large dog (35+ lbs).
When: Choose between monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly deliveries
Cost: $12-$32 per box depending on which subscription option you choose (+$5 shipping/box); ships anywhere in the US and US territories
Fun Fact: A portion of proceeds from each box goes to rescue groups. You can learn more about how Pooch Perks gives back here.

It's summer and you know what that means...grilling season! Over at our house my husband makes it a point to fire up the grill at least twice a month regardless of the time of year (thank goodness it doesn't get too cold in these parts), but now that summer's here I'm expecting that frequency to bump up to weekly. You know, because he likes to barbecue, not because I really really really love to eat steak...

He really does love to grill, though. And he usually lets the dogs out back while cooking so that means I get some peace and quiet in the house. *yay!* But what usually ends up happening is the dogs plop down next to him and wait for drippings or a stray piece of meat falling off the grill. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't. But thanks to Pooch Perks' Barks n' BBQ box this month, they can get a 100% BBQ win rate. :D

FouFit Freeze N' Float Plush Munchies Hamburger ($10 on sale for $8 right now!) - This looks like a plain ol' squeaky plush burger, but it's actually made of a quick-drying material which makes it perfect for playing fetch in the water on a hot day. Or if your dog is scared of the water like mine are, simply dunk the toy in water, squeeze out the excess and throw it in the freezer for an icy treat when it's a hundred degrees out.

Preen Pets Just Chicken Jerky (4oz bag, $7 on sale for $5) - This treat contains only one ingredient, 100% USDA chicken. No hormones, no preservatives, no fillers, just human consumption grade chicken oven-baked to perfection. I can't imagine it being very tasty (I guess that's why it also contains some chicken liver), but my dogs will eat leaves and cardboard by choice so I don't think they mind one bit.
Preen Pets Just Chicken oven-baked treats

Soft Flex Airball, 5" (small) (~$5) - One thing I really like about Pooch Perks is that they always include at least one durable toy each month. I didn't sign up for the heavy chewer option, but we've received a rubber toy in each box so far. This is a squeaky rubber toy designed to fly fast and far, kind of like those Nerf vortex balls. This would have been perfect for Macho because fetch is his favorite pastime ever, but a couple of months ago we noticed him having hind leg lameness and although his x-rays were clear the vet instructed us to cut out running and jumping until we figure out what it is. So no fetch for the Macho Man :(

Champion Life Eco-Friendly Poop Bags (60 count, $11) - I don't know about you, but I always welcome poop bags in my house. There was a time when I tried the frugal thing and reused produce bags, but sometimes your fruits can poke holes through the thin plastic without you knowing and ugh...the consequences. I needed something a little thicker and was willing to forgo my thrifty ways if it meant I wouldn't have to smell like poo for the rest of our walk. These bags are marketed as "extra strong" and at $0.18 per bag they better be. But the nice thing about these is that they're biodegradable so I can feel good about tossing their poop bags in the trash. Eventually all evidence of their business will be gone!

SO Bright Beef Liver Dog Treats (6oz, $4?) - These treats are pretty hard to come by! Stores that carry it are concentrated in the Wisconsin/Chicago area (they're made in WI) and online retailers are scarce. I guess I consider myself lucky to have these, then. :) SO Bright makes four types of treats: grain-free, oven-baked, freeze-dried, and soft and chewy in a variety of protein options. These all-natural grain-free treats contain minimal ingredients and real meat to make it a more friendly treat for allergy-prone dogs.

Verdict: As always, I'm impressed with the quality of treats in this box. We got two natural snacks that no doubt will be gone by the time the June box ships out. I'm almost afraid to use the poop bags because they're so gosh darn expensive (for POOP!) but those too will be gone in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize how much my dogs poop until I realized they went through an entire box of one thousand poop bags from Amazon in 6 months.(!!!) To my surprise, the toys seem to last longer around here nowadays, probably because Macho rather sleep during the day and Pebbles prefers to chew on Macho than on her toys. :-/ But all in all another great box!

Click here to sign up for Pooch Perks and don't forget to use the code FRIEND10 to get 10% off your first order!


Note: This review reflects my (and my pups'!) honest opinions. No referral links were used in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment